"Wedding trends that need to stop right now"

2»

Re: "Wedding trends that need to stop right now"

• Options
    banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    I think donuts are OK at a brunch reception, but put them on a tray, not the wall!
    I must have played Pachelbel's Canon in D 500 times.
    ...and you all know that I hate Chucks at a wedding.  JMHO.

If I added a hate to the list, it would be sleezy DJs with tired, suggestive jokes and too much volume.
    Canon in D is a classic.    Sometimes brides work too hard at being unique.     Canon in D is almost soothing to me.      Like looking at a 3 tier frosted white cake begging for a finger taste.  
    I really don't mind Canon in D.  I'm just happy I don't have to play it anymore.
    I'm sure it gets boring.    

But I'd prefer old and trusted to new and trying too hard.  
    My piano teacher would not let anyone play Fur Elise at recitals. Everyone wanted to play Fur Elise and for years, one student per recital would play it until she said no more. Yes, it's classic and sounds pretty, but when you've heard it that many times, and likely many of them not played well, it gets really old. 
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:
    I think donuts are OK at a brunch reception, but put them on a tray, not the wall!

If I added a hate to the list, it would be sleezy DJs with tired, suggestive jokes and too much volume.
    Canon in D is a classic.    Sometimes brides work too hard at being unique.     Canon in D is almost soothing to me.      Like looking at a 3 tier frosted white cake begging for a finger taste.  
    That's how I felt, too.  It's like saying "The Mona Lisa is so played out, I see it everywhere."  Some things are classics for a reason.

That is a pretty funny example, though, because the Mona Lisa isn't really anything special, people only started to care about it after it got stolen. When it was returned people had to go see the painting so famous that it was missing for 2 years. It really is nothing special, sometimes classics are just flukes.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    That's how I felt, too.  It's like saying "The Mona Lisa is so played out, I see it everywhere."  Some things are classics for a reason.

That is a pretty funny example, though, because the Mona Lisa isn't really anything special, people only started to care about it after it got stolen. When it was returned people had to go see the painting so famous that it was missing for 2 years. It really is nothing special, sometimes classics are just flukes.
    The Mona Lisa may be famous because of the theft, but it was always considered a masterpiece.  Leonardo was the first artist to perfect a technique called sfumato - basically a way of painting more softly to mimic the way the eye sees things - and the Mona Lisa is an amazing example of the technique.  

http://www.pbs.org/treasuresoftheworld/mona_lisa/mlevel_1/m3technique.html

• Options
    Heffalump said:
    banana468 said:
    CMGragain said:

Actually, the Mona Lisa is considered special because of the subject's facial expression - a sad smile.
  • Options
    SwissMs said:
    Heffalump said:

The Mona Lisa may be famous because of the theft, but it was always considered a masterpiece.  Leonardo was the first artist to perfect a technique called sfumato - basically a way of painting more softly to mimic the way the eye sees things - and the Mona Lisa is an amazing example of the technique.  

http://www.pbs.org/treasuresoftheworld/mona_lisa/mlevel_1/m3technique.html

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing. I know what I'm reading on my way home from work tonight :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards