Chit Chat

Unpopular Opinion Time?

Re: Unpopular Opinion Time?

• Jen4948 said:
    My apologies. It was not meant as a personal slam against anyone who chooses to wear those styles, although it came off that way.
    Considering this is a wedding website and the majority of dresses are strapless, it's kind of hard not to take personally. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    My apologies. It was not meant as a personal slam against anyone who chooses to wear those styles, although it came off that way.
    Considering this is a wedding website and the majority of dresses are strapless, it's kind of hard not to take personally. 
    I know. 

Sometimes I wonder if strapless or narrow-strap dresses would be so popular if there were more alternatives available. Are they the majority by truly popular choice or by default?
  • Jen4948 said:
    I know. 

Sometimes I wonder if strapless or narrow-strap dresses would be so popular if there were more alternatives available. Are they the majority by truly popular choice or by default?
    I think they're probably more popular because they're more special than every day dresses. The majority of dresses you could wear to work or school have straps or sleeves so by default strapless makes it more formal maybe. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    I know. 

Good question.  Most of my friends/family did NOT have strapless dresses.  I think only myself and my SIL.

I specifically wanted a strapless gown with a corset back.   No lace,no bling, no beading and no train.    The sales people at 2 different places kept giving me everything I didn't want, including dresses with sleeves.

I walked into the 3rd place and the dress was on the wall.  I knew instantly it's the one I wanted.   It did have a small train, but I was able to put in a permanent bustle.

I will say while I like a lot of strapless gowns (formal wear), I'm not generally  a fan of causal strapless dresses.  I don't own any myself.  They never seem to fit me properly.     Formal wear has more structure and seems to look better.  On me at least.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    There are a lot more alternatives to strapless dresses now than there were five or six years ago.  My daughter was frustrated trying to find a dress that was not strapless.
    My biggest issue with strapless dresses is that I remember wearing them in the 1960s, and they were uncomfortable and hard to keep in place.  Corsets?  Ugh, not for me.  I like to be comfortable and able to move easily.
    Of course, I was married in 1976, when hippie styles were in fashion.  Everything was loose and flowing, and easy to wear.  The only thing that was tight were some of the long sleeves.

Image result for wedding dress 1970s

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I had the opposite experience of you @lyndausvi, every single shop insisted I try a strapless dress and insisted that when properly altered I wouldn't feel like hiking it up.

They ignored my concerns that every guest over 5'8" would have a wide open cleavage shot without it.  And every dress I tried on proved me right.
  • I don't like bacon or cheese in or on anything. I'll take my cheese and bacon on the side please. 
  • I don't like chocolate. 

Yes!  I am not alone.  My mom jokingly wonders if there was a switch at the hospital, because chocolate is one of her all time faves and I don't care for it.

White chocolate is the worst.  It is one of the few foods I can't even fathom trying to eat and feel a gag reflex at the thought.

Dark/milk chocolate is usually okay.  I can eat it, I just rarely want to eat it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @lyndausvi that's beautiful! 

@shessocold I think it's just the way my body is. Anything structural and strapless creates a valley, or really a canyon haha.  The only dresses that ever laid flush were ones with elastic tops. But yes now bring them on!
  • UO- I enjoy the TP wedding dress game! I am soooooo not a creative person, but give me a roll or 2 of TP and I can make you a masterpiece ;).
  • I don't like chocolate. 

Yes!  I am not alone.  My mom jokingly wonders if there was a switch at the hospital, because chocolate is one of her all time faves and I don't care for it.

White chocolate is the worst.  It is one of the few foods I can't even fathom trying to eat and feel a gag reflex at the thought.

Dark/milk chocolate is usually okay.  I can eat it, I just rarely want to eat it.

My Mom says the same thing. She is a chocolate fanatic and doesn't understand my aversion. My sister was shocked when she stayed at my new house for the first time and we had no chocolate in the house.  I will eat milk/dark if it's the only dessert and I'm in a sweets mood, but mostly I'll skip it. 
  • I HATE The Big Bang Theory, and I don't understand why people think it's funny. I find it incredibly irritating. Every time we go to H's aunt and uncle's house, everyone there watches it and they think it's so hilarious. Both H and I try our hardest not to roll our eyes, because it is just so cheesy.
    I agree with this so hard. I was trying to explain to someone about how a show about smart people doesn't make it "smart humor". They did not understand.

My other UOs: I hate U2. Absolutely hate them. Sometimes I explain this by saying "I get it, I'm wrong, but I hate U2."

I also really dislike Friends and have never laughed at an episode. This one is usually my most unpopular.

• I can't stand most romantic comedies made after the 1980s.
  • Just coming back...I didn't even read the title of the thread earlier, I just skimmed and thought it was a Kardashian's thread   :D

My UO is that I don't hate gaps, as long as they're local.  Especially if it's a big gap...like the ceremony is at 12 at church, then I can hang at home/run errands/do whatever from 1:30-5:30 or so, then get ready around 6ish for a 7pm cocktail hour start time. 3:30-4 ceremony start is a little more sticky because I'm faced with the "do I get dressed for the reception now or later?" conundrum.  But not the end of the world...like not as bad as a cash bar, or the B&G deceiving the guests in some way.  I myself didn't have a gap, and I don't like gaps for a DW, but I don't hate local gaps.  *ducks in preparation of the stones being thrown from everyone*

And YES to PP who hates the Big Bang Theory (I'd like to add Seinfeld to the not-funny, "what's the big deal?" list), and I can't understand the chocolate haters. Except white chocolate which is gross.
  • I don't like strapless on me.   I'm small chested (small B cup) and my breast bone goes into my chest so my ribs stick out.   The end result is a mild effect on lung capacity but it also looks like I have two sets of breasts when anything is super tight.    I have owned one strapless and only then it was because I was a BM and head to buy it.     I loved my wedding dress.   It was TWO PIECES and the lace top was really flattering.   

My unpopular opinions:

I don't like cream cheese unless it's sweetened in desserts.    Smeared on a bagel I think it's repulsive.   

I do NOT like sour cream plain.    It needs to be in onion dip.    Otherwise: gag.   
  • I also hate coffee. Can't even stand small amounts of the flavor in stuff like cakes. 

I agree with Jen for the most part on the strapless dresses. I disagree in that I think they look nice on some body types, but on the vast majority of people who wear them, I think they are unflattering. 

I love baby and bridal showers and all the games!!!
  • My UO:

I love pumpkin spice everything.  I am that girl.  Except I don't care for PSL (Starbucks or elsewhere) because IMO they are way too sweet, and I only like a little sweetness in my coffee, not syrupy sweetness.  Pumpkin spice swirl bread, pumpkin spice muffins, you name it. 

I tried a turkey pumpkin chili recipe last year and it was gross, though. Must not have had enough pumpkin spice. ;)  Also, I do not like pumpkin pie.  Anything else is fair game.

• Heffalump said:

My UO:

I love pumpkin spice everything.  I am that girl.  Except I don't care for PSL (Starbucks or elsewhere) because IMO they are way too sweet, and I only like a little sweetness in my coffee, not syrupy sweetness.  Pumpkin spice swirl bread, pumpkin spice muffins, you name it. 

I tried a turkey pumpkin chili recipe last year and it was gross, though. Must not have had enough pumpkin spice. ;)  Also, I do not like pumpkin pie.  Anything else is fair game.

I love a good PSL but hate pumpkin pie.   I do like pumpkin ravioli and other pumpkin lovelies. 
  • I also didn't like Seinfeld. I never like Frasier either. 

I'll take the pumpkin pie from y'all who don't like it. YUM!!
  • Heffalump said:

My UO:

I love pumpkin spice everything.  I am that girl.  Except I dorn't care for PSL (Starbucks or elsewhere) because IMO they are way too sweet, and I only like a little sweetness in my coffee, not syrupy sweetness.  Pumpkin spice swirl bread, pumpkin spice muffins, you name it. 

I feel the same way I love everything pumpkin; coffee, beer, ice cream.  But not lattes. Except for Tim Horton's pumpkin spice, its the best, it's the flavor without the syrupy sweet. 
  • I HATE The Big Bang Theory, and I don't understand why people think it's funny. I find it incredibly irritating. Every time we go to H's aunt and uncle's house, everyone there watches it and they think it's so hilarious. Both H and I try our hardest not to roll our eyes, because it is just so cheesy.
    I agree with this so hard. I was trying to explain to someone about how a show about smart people doesn't make it "smart humor". They did not understand.

My other UOs: I hate U2. Absolutely hate them. Sometimes I explain this by saying "I get it, I'm wrong, but I hate U2."

I also really dislike Friends and have never laughed at an episode. This one is usually my most unpopular.
    That I can't get on board with.  And the funny thing is, I really don't like Jennifer Aniston in any of her roles in movies, but I loved Rachel. 

That I can't get on board with.  And the funny thing is, I really don't like Jennifer Aniston in any of her roles in movies, but I loved Rachel. 
    I go through phases where I watch a LOT of Friends. That is happening now. It seems to be on multiple channels each night for hours at a time, so I have my pick. I am not sure it's even FUNNY, but it's nostalgic and comforting. Pretty sure I've seen every single episode at least 5 times in the past 20+ years. And holy shit, Friends first aired 22 years ago. THAT makes me feel old.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i don't like chocolate, coffee or pumpkin spice stuff. i'm basically the worst.
  • I don't want kids in my home. It's small, it's not even remotely kid proofed, kids stress out my animals and the only toys we have in our house, are not for kids. So I have some butt hurt friends who complain I never invite them over. Yeah. I know. It's because you'll bring your kid even if I ask you not to.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards