Chit Chat

Unpopular Opinion Time?

Re: Unpopular Opinion Time?

• In addition to GOT, Twilight, Hunger Games, Harry Potter any of those series things, I can't watch Breaking Bad.  The writing was amazing, and I tried really hard to get into it, but I needed a break after every episode to get over what happened in the last one.  It took a week to get over the bathub in the first (?) episode.  It would have taken me a decade to watch the series.
    I had the same reaction! Like I could totally see how it could be a great show but I just couldn't handle how dark and violent it was. I don't mind Game of Thrones violence, gross-out gore in AHS etc. but Breaking Bad was too real and sad. There's enough unpleasant stuff in the world, I want my TV to be a little on the lighter side!
  • In addition to GOT, Twilight, Hunger Games, Harry Potter any of those series things, I can't watch Breaking Bad.  The writing was amazing, and I tried really hard to get into it, but I needed a break after every episode to get over what happened in the last one.  It took a week to get over the bathub in the first (?) episode.  It would have taken me a decade to watch the series.
    I had the same reaction! Like I could totally see how it could be a great show but I just couldn't handle how dark and violent it was. I don't mind Game of Thrones violence, gross-out gore in AHS etc. but Breaking Bad was too real and sad. There's enough unpleasant stuff in the world, I want my TV to be a little on the lighter side!
    That exact same thing happened to me with the Sopranos.  I recognized that it was a great show, but the horrific violence and sexism just wore me down.  Sometimes it took me days in between episodes just because I felt so exhausted of all the nastiness in the show.

• I can't believe "PSL" is a thing. Not the actual drink itself (which I do not like), but the acronym. I see it everywhere this year. WTF?
    I saw a clickbait article yesterday about how "Pumpkin Spice" is the new hair color for fall.

.....it was red hair.

• I can't believe "PSL" is a thing. Not the actual drink itself (which I do not like), but the acronym. I see it everywhere this year. WTF?
    I saw a clickbait article yesterday about how "Pumpkin Spice" is the new hair color for fall.

.....it was red hair.
    Does that mean I have to tell people I have Pumpkin Spice hair? I sure hope not...
  • Everyone clutch your pearls and brace for it.  Pictures.

Unless it is business related, neither my H or I take pictures.  I don't like being in pictures.  I don't want to take them.  Pictures largely don't interest me at all.

For example, my H and I just came back from a week's trip in Boston.  We took one pic the entire time we were there.

I sometimes feel like an alien.  In a world where so many take a pic of every meal they eat, every time their child does any blessed thing, and multiple selfies a day. 

Right there with you.

• I can't stand the old series of Doctor Who. I find it poorly written, badly acted and offensively sexist.  Way beyond sexist, I can't  even forgive it for the time it was written in (like I can for a lot* of the original Star Trek series, it's sexist by today's standards but at least the women on the show were portrayed as intelligent and competent and important members of the crew). I only watch the Doctor Who reboot. 

*ETA with the exception of the episode where the message was women can't be captains. For the record, Gene Roddenberry was no longer with the show when that happened and was digusted by that episode. 
    Interesting. My problem with the Doctor Who reboot is that the companions always seem to turn into love interests. The part of the old series that I liked was that there were usually multiple companions at a time, and none of them seemed romantically interested in the Doctor.
    That is a good point, ugh, Martha Jones drove me crazy with that. At least in the reboot the women can hold their own (except Martha) and aren't just shrieking damsels in distress.

As someone with a family member who is an addict, it was painfully real at times.  The scenes with Jesse and his parents were almost word for word replays of my own home.  So when SO said it didn't seem real, and it was super exaggerated, I wanted to smack him.  However, I could not deal with Jesse and Walt's continually dumb decisions.  Come on.  I also felt like Walt's actions were a little contradictory to what were supposed to be his core personality traits.  He was supposed to be analytical, a rational scientist.  I get that pride was his fatal flaw, but it just seemed really stretched at times.  Like no way would you make some of those choices if you were an analytical individual.  Basically Los Pollos dude acted like Walt should have.  

• So I'm super late to this, but my UO is cement countertops... I am very turned off by any food prep area that resembles a sidewalk.

I also hate the overabundance of (dark) gray paint on the walls.  Why would you want your home to be so dark and depressing all the time?

And why wouldn't you want a bathtub in your master?  Sometimes, there's nothing better after a long day than a nice, long soak in the tub.  Can't do that in your walk-in-closet-sized stone shower.
    We're almost done with a master bathroom renovation. One of the last things that needs to be done is to paint. The previous owners painted the walls a dark gray but had dark espresso stained cabinets and beige quartz counter top. It was all so strange. It was like they tried to be trendy and modern, but epic fail. The other epic fail was they left the 90s style cultured marble tub that took up half the bathroom. We ripped that out and put in a freestanding tub. 

• And why wouldn't you want a bathtub in your master?  Sometimes, there's nothing better after a long day than a nice, long soak in the tub.  Can't do that in your walk-in-closet-sized stone shower.
    I'm totally fine with no tub in the master. My old house just had a shower in the master and that was fine - I used the tub in the guest bathroom twice ever and it was for sore muscles not a real bath. We have a big shower and a nice soaking tub with jets and I think H has used it once and I've never used it (and he used it for sore muscles). Baths weird me out and I don't really have an interest in them. 

At the same time I don't understand the gigantic walk in showers either, I don't need a stand up coffin but it doesn't need to be it's own 8x8 space either
  • ernursej said:
    I like wearing scrubs. I could go a whole week with wearing my scrubs to work and then coming home to put on my pjs and never wear other clothes. I know a lot of people think they look shapeless and dumpy but they are so comfortable!
    Comfort aside, this confuses me.  I thought scrubs were meant only to be worn in the hospital -- you put on clean scrubs when you get there and then change back into street clothes after you're done working.  So, assuming that people don't change from hospital to non-hospital scrubs [or do they?- I often see people wearing scrubs on the subway], isn't the reasoning behind hospital clothing that it's as sterile and clean as possible since you're in an as-sterile-as-possible environment?
  • So I'm super late to this, but my UO is cement countertops... I am very turned off by any food prep area that resembles a sidewalk.

I also hate the overabundance of (dark) gray paint on the walls.  Why would you want your home to be so dark and depressing all the time?

And why wouldn't you want a bathtub in your master?  Sometimes, there's nothing better after a long day than a nice, long soak in the tub.  Can't do that in your walk-in-closet-sized stone shower.

So my spare bedroom had yellow walls, and I painted a blue over it.  It turned gray (not dark, but light almost blue/gray).  I do like it.  However, my spare room is also a gym so gray depressing moody walls fits the theme there.  Gym's are stupid. Working out is stupid. 

Is this a popular thing now? Here I was thinking I was unique... I have always loved the idea of gray walls (gray anything really, it's like my favorite color) but haven't seen it done much and thought I was going to be ahead of the trend! 

I've never seen cement countertops either, but I can agree with you on that... don't really want my kitchen to look like a construction zone.

Is this a popular thing now? Here I was thinking I was unique... I have always loved the idea of gray walls (gray anything really, it's like my favorite color) but haven't seen it done much and thought I was going to be ahead of the trend! 

I've never seen cement countertops either, but I can agree with you on that... don't really want my kitchen to look like a construction zone.
    Our apartment in Indy had one (long) wall painted slate gray.  It looked great.  We received a lot of sun, so it never felt gloomy.  

I'm guessing it depends the amount of light you get.   My office gets zero direct sun light. Gray walls would definitely make that room fell gloomy. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

According to the old lady on the town welcoming committee when we bought our house, yes. Our kitchen cabinets are painted a blue-ish grey and she loved them and said that grey is huge right now.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My whole house is gray. Every room except the bathrooms is a light greyish beige and the bathrooms are a dove gray. Even the outside of my house is gray. Before I put it on the market, I may put some shutters on it to give it some flavor. I like the gray walls because it's calming and I can change it up with accents.
  • I never liked Friends, Grey's Anatomy or The OC. I also despise the Bachelor and Bachelorette.
    *********************************************************************************

• I never liked Friends, Grey's Anatomy or The OC. I also despise the Bachelor and Bachelorette.
    Here, here.   Especially the Bachelor and Bachelorette.  I do not get the love.

Although I did watch Friends sometimes.   I guess I was kind-of neutral about the show.  I never watch the reruns.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • ernursej said:
    I like wearing scrubs. I could go a whole week with wearing my scrubs to work and then coming home to put on my pjs and never wear other clothes. I know a lot of people think they look shapeless and dumpy but they are so comfortable!
    Comfort aside, this confuses me.  I thought scrubs were meant only to be worn in the hospital -- you put on clean scrubs when you get there and then change back into street clothes after you're done working.  So, assuming that people don't change from hospital to non-hospital scrubs [or do they?- I often see people wearing scrubs on the subway], isn't the reasoning behind hospital clothing that it's as sterile and clean as possible since you're in an as-sterile-as-possible environment?
    No. only people who change into non scrubs before or after work are either people that work in the OR or maybe L&D and Neonatal ICU. Or a germaphobe. Other than that, almost everyone else wears their scrubs to and from work. It's not about sterile environment. The only sterile place in the hospital is an operating room. It's about not getting blood, shit, mucous, pee, or any other bodily fluid on your regular clothes, and about being able to differentiate who is who in the hospital setting - nurse vs md vs technician vs transporter. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • vikinganna87vikinganna87 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2016
    ernursej said:
    No. only people who change into non scrubs before or after work are either people that work in the OR or maybe L&D and Neonatal ICU. Or a germaphobe. Other than that, almost everyone else wears their scrubs to and from work. It's not about sterile environment. The only sterile place in the hospital is an operating room. It's about not getting blood, shit, mucous, pee, or any other bodily fluid on your regular clothes, and about being able to differentiate who is who in the hospital setting - nurse vs md vs technician vs transporter. 

Thanks for the clarification.  Both my parents are recently retired from the medical field (one in the OR, one not) and they complain about seeing scrubs outside of hospitals too; I reckon they haven't kept up with the times.

ETF typo
  • kvruns said:
    So I'm super late to this, but my UO is cement countertops... I am very turned off by any food prep area that resembles a sidewalk.

gray is the new "realtor beige". When I repainted rooms in my old house about 5 years ago I opted for gray because I wanted light/neutral but not beige. A couple years later gray was everywhere, so I felt ahead of the trend! 

Yes it is!  Though not really dark gray.  More a light gray.  I participate in a real estate investing forum and there are a few posts like "what are the best interior paint colors for rentals".  At least half the answers are gray or some shade of gray.  With a contrasting white trim color.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    So I'm super late to this, but my UO is cement countertops... I am very turned off by any food prep area that resembles a sidewalk.

gray is the new "realtor beige". When I repainted rooms in my old house about 5 years ago I opted for gray because I wanted light/neutral but not beige. A couple years later gray was everywhere, so I felt ahead of the trend! 

Yes it is!  Though not really dark gray.  More a light gray.  I participate in a real estate investing forum and there are a few posts like "what are the best interior paint colors for rentals".  At least half the answers are gray or some shade of gray.  With a contrasting white trim color.
    yea def lighter gray, not dark gray
  • short+sassy said:
    HAH! You just described my house! 
  • Our place is yellow. Bright when sun hits, but ugly as fuck. Apparently that's the former "house neutral"

I like grey. To me grey is a neutral. We have a lot of black and grey furniture, and we're still doing grey tones through the place.

Kitchen has grey tiles, so we're taking tone from lightest colour and doing that and the white from the same tone as rest of main floor.
  • Our place is yellow. Bright when sun hits, but ugly as fuck. Apparently that's the former "house neutral"

I like grey. To me grey is a neutral. We have a lot of black and grey furniture, and we're still doing grey tones through the place.

Kitchen has grey tiles, so we're taking tone from lightest colour and doing that and the white from the same tone as rest of main floor.

Yeeeaaahhh...I painted the other side of my duplex a bright, yellow color a few years ago with white trim.  I like it.  I think it looks cute in a historic home.  But I see now it was a misstep.  In showings, some potential tenants love it and gush about it, but I've also had some who were turned off by the brightness and yellowness of it.  With (I'm guessing) the majority falling somewhere in between.

I attached a pic of the front room so you all can see what I am talking about, but in my usual klutzy "I can't figure out attaching pics to posts", the pic is up above the quote box.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Yeeeaaahhh...I painted the other side of my duplex a bright, yellow color a few years ago with white trim.  I like it.  I think it looks cute in a historic home.  But I see now it was a misstep.  In showings, some potential tenants love it and gush about it, but I've also had some who were turned off by the brightness and yellowness of it.  With (I'm guessing) the majority falling somewhere in between.

I attached a pic of the front room so you all can see what I am talking about, but in my usual klutzy "I can't figure out attaching pics to posts", the pic is up above the quote box.

I did the same thing with our bedroom. I went with a yellow that ended up being too intense and was way too lazy to ever repaint it. But ugh! I should have gone with a light gray. Arg! Luckily we moved and they didn't ask us to repaint it! *phew*
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I did the same thing with our bedroom. I went with a yellow that ended up being too intense and was way too lazy to ever repaint it. But ugh! I should have gone with a light gray. Arg! Luckily we moved and they didn't ask us to repaint it! *phew*
    Several years ago when yellow was the color everyone was into, my friend asked me to help her pick one out. I tried getting her to go with a soft, buttery yellow, but she said, "If I'm gonna do yellow, I'm gonna do yellow." She picked a primary, bright AF yellow; paid someone to paint her living room, dining room, and bedrooms; then, called me in the morning and said, "I hate it!!! I feel like I just woke up in a bottle of mustard. Why didn't I listen to you?" We went that day and picked out the one I tried to get her to go with and she loved it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards