Canceling Wedding to Elope? (VERY LONG STORY)
i am going to try to keep this as short as possible! Ever since my fiance and I had gotten engaged, we never wanted the big wedding. For starters, we were initially going to elope and then later have a reception when we were financially able to put one together. My family was very understanding, however, his family was very, very upset by our decision, so we decided to forgo that idea and just have a small wedding of 50 people. The problem is that neither of us really have the money ourselves to pay for a wedding, which is why we were eloping. My family is unable to help financially but his family, however, is willing and able to help as long as we basically jump through hoops in order to gain their help with anything. Since deciding to have the wedding, it has become beyond stressful because this wedding has become something that neither one of us really wants to have. We have had been insulted on numerous occasions by his family for not wanting to have a Catholic wedding, our choice of officiant, and finally things blew up last night when his parents invited every single person on his side of the family, WITHOUT EVEN CONSULTING US. After he talked to his family about how they are they are making things very stressful for us, his dad decided that it would be okay if we turned the wedding into the reception (since the venue has already been partially paid for), that he would take care of most of the reception costs (since we were only having the larger wedding to make them happy), and that we could go back to our plans on eloping. The problem is that we have already sent out the invitations, so everyone will be expecting to see a wedding. We are also 2 and a half weeks from the wedding. It is kind of a mess but I am also relieved. Any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.