Budget Weddings Forum

How can you politely state that no alcohol will be provided at the wedding?

Hi everyone,
I need to to find a polite way to tell our guests at our small wedding that we will not be serving alcohol at the wedding. We will be having a small after party at our hotel, we will have an outdoor fireplace. We are talking about 10 people tops.

Re: How can you politely state that no alcohol will be provided at the wedding?

• Hi everyone,
    I need to to find a polite way to tell our guests at our small wedding that we will not be serving alcohol at the wedding. We will be having a small after party at our hotel, we will have an outdoor fireplace. We are talking about 10 people tops.

• Thanks! We will have other beverages. 
  • missfrodo said:
    Why do you need them to know this?  Do you think they won't attend if there isn't alcohol?  Do you want them to bring their own?  There is nothing wrong with a dry wedding (as long as non-alcoholic beverages are provided), and I have never seen or heard anyone mention the availability of booze on an invite or otherwise.  If someone asks, I'd tell them you're having a dry wedding, but if they don't bring it up, I wouldn't mention it.  It's not anything they need to worry about ahead of time.  
    Yeah, no need to bring it up at all.  You don't have to provide guests with a list of what will or will not be on offer.  "Yes: vegetables, ranch dressing, chicken entree, mashed potatoes, iced tea, plates and napkins... No: liquor, steak, lentils, belly dancers..."
  • You shouldn't say anything either way, no one needs to know what's on the menu unless they have dietary restrictions and they can tell you that.

You've said you'll have beverages, that's what matters. Alcohol is optional.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    Agreed that it's  a non- issue. Do I enjoy alcohol at events?  For sure.  But I don't require warning that it won't be there, nor will I be bitterly disappointed. I'd be mildly surprised for about three seconds and then order myself a sprite.  The only time I've ever been surprised in a bad way or disappointed with respect to beverage options is when i get up to the bar and order and then discover it's a cash bar.
  • Your guests are not required to know whether you are, or are not, serving alcohol.

A guest should graciously accept whatever is being offered by the host. A dry wedding (any event) is perfectly A-OK. No need to explain yourself or "prepare".
  • What does the after party have to do with anything?
  • What does the after party have to do with anything?
    I am guessing that OP is referring to her reception, since she mentions the guests attending the wedding.
  • Hi everyone,

Are you having your wedding at a B&B/Farmhouse in New Hampshire by any chance?

• Viczaesar said:
    Hi everyone,

Are you having your wedding at a B&B/Farmhouse in New Hampshire by any chance?
    Nah, for that one the guests are allowed to drink so long as they fork out $500 to stay and share a bathroom with strangers  ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards