Wedding Woes
Options

tell me about Nashville

Our 10th anniversary is this week, and I'm thinking of booking a trip to Nashville as a gift to DK. We'd be going in early December for a hockey game (Flyers vs Preds). Likely would have full day Saturday, Sunday morning/afternoon, and most of Monday free. (Would leave Friday evening and take a later flight out on Monday). 
Activities would need to be kid-friendly, since we'll have Wolverine with us (she'll be 6 by then.) 

Trip would be a surprise (I know he can cover the vacation day on Monday), and Wolverine would miss 1 day of school (kinder - which doesn't seem like a big deal). 

I've only flown through Nashville, so recommendations on things to do and places to eat would be appreciated. Would like to plan one dinner that's a little nicer - Wolverine knows how to behave in restaurants, and isn't a picky eater, so no worries there.

Re: tell me about Nashville

• Options
    Merchants is right in the center of town and amazing. 

Monnells is great for breakfast/brunch. Served family style and you're seated in groups at tables  (with strangers). So much food, but save room for their amazing fried chicken.

The Pharmacy is burgers and hand-crafted soda/beer. Could be a lunch or dinner spot.

You can tour the ryman. There's a few museums downtown too. You can bring wolverine in the honky-tonks during the day. There's always someone playing. 

There's also  a hipstery area near the University with funky shops  and thrift stores.

And there's the Hermitage.  

Have fun! I love Nashville. 

• Options
    FI has a client facility in Nashville that he visits from time to time, and I know he enjoys his time in that city.  One of his favorite cocktail bars in the country is there; it's called Patterson House.  Sadly that's pretty much the opposite of kid friendly activities, but if for some reason you decide to get a sitter and go out for drinks that would be the place to do it.  

I haven't been there myself, so no other recommendations.  But have fun!
  • Options

Nashville is awesome! You can tour the Ryman or take a tour of the Country Music Hall of Fame.

The Opryland Hotel is a really cool place to stay and would be decorated for Christmas by then.

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    The Country Music Hall of Fame was a let down for me.  It's $20 to get in, and everything on the walls I could have googled myself.

I don't do much there but drink and listen to music, which won't fit into your plans, huh?  Diners Drive Ins and Dives had a few good places I wanted to go to, but I forgot which ones.

edit: words

re-edit:  Just found this cool website:  http://www.tvfoodmaps.com/

• Options
    Plenty of great restaruants downtown these days. I will suggest Etch as your fancy restaurant night. Where are you staying? Opryland is a bit far from everything but worth a 1/2 day trip. The new(ish) Johnny Cash museum is great. I work right downtown, so feel free to PM if you want more suggestions.
  • Options
    We're going to stay out near the airport - but we'll have a car, so no biggie to drive. It looks like it's only about 8 miles into downtown. 

Etch looks excellent - thanks! http://www.etchrestaurant.com/menu

• Options
    The Grinch will be playing then at the Grand Ole Opry house, they Opryland hotel will be decorated then too. They also have the ice thing going on then in the same parking lot, I think its Rudolph this year.
  • Options
    ginnybinny17ginnybinny17 member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    Nashville is the greatest -- I went to college there and loved every second.

I second visiting Opryland -- the Christmas decorations are so beautiful and romantic.  You can spend a good hour or two just wandering around.  It's one of my favorite Nashville places in the winter.  (It's so big my friends and I used to go around Christmastime and play Sardines for hours.)

Prince's Chicken (if you like hot chicken) is amazing.  Pancake Pantry is as good as the hype, but if you go there on a weekend morning (even when it's cold), the line will be out the door so expect a good 45 minute wait.

One of my favorite favorite places to eat is Cafe Coco.  I met Taylor Swift there a few times way back in the day.  I would murder a man for their french fries, and it just has a really cool, laid-back vibe all around.  And GREAT coffee.

There's a bunch of really cute shops just to poke around in in Hillsboro Village, which is also right where Pancake Pantry is.  

For your daughter -- let me put in a plug for the Adventure Science Center.  It is AWESOME.  

http://www.adventuresci.org/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards