Wedding Woes
Options

No friends, no family.. no wedding?

Hey, my first post.. alrighty then.

So, I could go into way too much detail about it, but the jist is, I really have no friends or family too invite to my wedding.

We've been engaged about a month, but haven't really discussed a wedding yet. Neither one of us wants a big wedding. If we do have a wedding, it would just be family and close friends. That's there problem for me.

I don't have a relationship with my biological mother. I completely cut her out of my life 9 years ago and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. My relationship with my father is strained at best. His wife doesn't want to admit that I exist, and I'm only slightly acquainted with my brother and sister. Half siblings on my dad's side. So.. I don't really feel that any of them are required on the wedding day.

As far as friends go.. because of the relationship with my mother, I didn't have any friends growing up. She pretty much prevented me from having any. As an adult, I didn't really form close friendships with many people. My fiance is in the military, so the two or three people I would have considered close enough to invite to a wedding are now over 2000 miles away.

My fiance is very close with his family and has friends from his childhood that could really be considered brothers. I love his family. I'm closer with them then I am with my own. I'm so happy to be marrying into such a loving group of people.

I'm honestly embarrassed. I feel like if we had a real wedding, it would just be his family and friends.. and me as an outsider. On top of not having any friends or family to invite, I have severe anxiety. I hate being the center of attention. I like getting all dolled up, but I get really nervous and self conscious if people are watching me.

I'm starting to think that placing a wedding isn't worth the stress. If I don't have anyone to invite and don't want to be the day to focus on me, should we just go to the courthouse and do the paperwork? 

Re: No friends, no family.. no wedding?

• Options

I get the whole not having a lot of friends/family.  While I do have a relationship with my mother, father and brother that is pretty much the only family that I had when meeting my FI.  I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you in your situation.  But I do applaud you for cutting ties with a toxic person.

I am also a bit confused by what you are defining as a "real wedding".  Anything that makes you legally married to your Husband is a real wedding and as others have covered, it can be anywhere between super simple and complex party.

I would like to remind you of something that took me some time to learn as well and that is that your FI's family is your family too.  It took me some time to get used to this myself, but it sounds like they have your back.  Just focus on the happy things.  Focus on marrying your FI and on the family (and friends) you share. 

• Options
    SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2016
    Well first of all, I have to reiterate what other posters have already pointed out: whatever unites you and the person you love in marriage is a "real wedding."  It doesn't have to have a giant poofy white dress or a big ass cake or a thousand guests to be a real wedding.  A court house wedding is just as real as any other.

So now that that is out of the way, it is completely up to you and your future husband to decide what sort of wedding is right for you.  I would strongly urge you not to let the fact that his social circle is bigger than yours make you feel bad or embarrassed.  At a wedding there is no such thing as "his guests" and "her guests."  Everybody is there for both of you.  And your friends who live elsewhere?  If they are able to come, they won't be the first or the last people to travel long distances to see their friends tie the knot.
  • Options

Invite your friends who live 2000 miles away.  Give them enough notice for the wedding and they may be able to attend.  People truly will make every effort to attend a wedding because they are special events that don't occur very often.

Next, begin to think of your FI's family as your family.  They will be officially your family at your wedding when you legally wed your FI.  So don't think of yourself as not having any family in attendance. 

My H had a similar situation to you.  His dad did have many siblings and a large extended family.  His dad passed prior to us meeting and based on a few events that happened after his dad's passing.  H no longer thinks of them as family.  They were not invited to our wedding.  MIL was an only child and has no other living relatives now.  So H's only family was his mom and brother.  However, my H's family has been fully integrated into my extended family.  They were all at our wedding, for us, not just me.  So please, try to adjust your thoughts on family.

As for your wedding, I think you need to talk with your FI (if you haven't already) about your anxieties of being center of attention and with the guest list.  Together you two can find a wedding that will work for you both.

• Options
    Just wanted to echo that you should invite your friends that live 2000 miles away. You'd be surprised who will travel for your wedding. And even if they can't, let them make that decision, don't make the decision for them.

I also echo that you should start to think of FI's family as your family. It sucks you are not close with your family, but it seems like a smart move that you have removed the toxic people from your life- good for you! Now LET FI's family fill that space.

You don't need to have a big wedding. You could have a private ceremony at the courthouse, just the two of you, and still get all dolled up. Or you could have a smaller event- family and close friends- that involves a ceremony followed by cake and punch, brunch, lunch or dinner at a restaurant or intimate venue.
  • Options

Like the other PPs have said, do what makes you and your FI happy.  But don't be afraid of having a small, intimate wedding.  His family IS your family and it sounds like they already love and adore you also.

My H and I got married in my hometown, halfway across the country from where we live.  He is totally estranged from his family.  With the exception of his BM, every single guest was my family member or my friend.  We had a small wedding with 35 guests and he had never met at least half of them.

He was welcomed with open arms by all.  The whole atmosphere was "joyful wedding".  It wasn't "oh yay, short&sassy's wedding to some guy".  The people who didn't know him were excited to meet him.  And he was socializing just as much as I was, even though he is a little bit of an introvert also.  NOBODY is going to be mulling over where "your" guests are, for lack of a better term.  They are just going to be happy for the both of you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So I did some checking. My dad's side said unless I get married in the small town where they live (in which I have zero emotional investment) that they won't make the trip. Same thing for a few of my friends. I asked if they would be able to attend, if given enough notice to arrange for vacation days and travel. Only one said she would. I don't think I can justify the expense of a ceremony and reception for nine guests. (My fiance decided it would be best for him to just have his immediate family and his two best friends.)

If this is really how they all feel, I guess having a courthouse ceremony and going out to dinner afterward is really my only option.
  • Options

If this is really how they all feel, I guess having a courthouse ceremony and going out to dinner afterward is really my only option.
    This one - "THEY" can feel whatever, it's what YOU and FI FEEL that matters on this one!  I've been to events of four people total and had the greatest time!  It's what you bring to it!  You can have a wedding of 15 people with all the "weddingy" things and have a glorious time!  You don't have to have a courthouse wedding, you can have a wedding at a beautiful venue and bring in a JOP or other officiant and it be the wedding of your dreams with only the few of you there!  Decide what you two want regardless of these other people.  If you don't want a courthouse wedding, don't have one!  I've had friends get married in lavish sculpture gardens all the way to those who've gotten married poolside, to those who had a pop-up tent in their driveway to those who've had a ceremony in the chapel at their church.  Size doesn't matter, you'll still be married at the end of the ceremony!  That doesn't mean you have to "give up" what you want because of how someone else feels..
  • Options
    My sister and her husband got married at the courthouse and we went to Applebee's afterwards.  You know what?  They are still married, 12 years later.  We had a blast, and she doesn't ever think they didn't have a "real" wedding.  Their marriage has outlasted many others that included an expensive party in the beginning.  Take the time to celebrate that you are creating a new family.  Regardless, you will be married by the end of the day.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards