Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Name change and Honeymoon

This is probably a silly question, but I booked out honeymoon over a year ago under my maiden name because I knew we would be leaving the day after our wedding. When I was filling out the marriage license application It had a space to write in my new last name. That wont affect my ability to travel correct? my ticket and passport even my driver license will all be under my maiden name.

Re: Name change and Honeymoon

• Options
    Your driver's license and/or your passport need to reflect the name on your airline ticket. Since you won't get your marriage certificate until after your wedding (the license is not what you use to change your name) then you are all set! 

• Options
    You're correct, your forms of ID need to match your airline ticket. 

You didn't say when you obtained your passport, so I'll mention this tip just in case you got it recently. If you have a name change due to marriage or court order within a year of your passport being issued, they will change your name for free. If you wait more than one year, you will have to apply for a new passport and pay the full price. 

The first time I got married I didn't know this until I hit the 1.5 year mark. I was bummed, but since we didn't have any plans in the near future to travel outside of the country again, I didn't pay for the name change. Fast forward 5 years, we got divorced and I changed my name back. Passport valid again! Haha.
    When I got remarried this summer, my passport had expired in April. I paid full price for a renewal. Then in August, when my marriage certificate came, I sent my passport in to be corrected to my new married name.
  • Options
    It takes a few weeks to officially change your name, so when you leave for your honeymoon the day after your wedding, you will be married but will still have your maiden name. Just show your current ID and documents (no need to bring your marriage certificate), enjoy your honeymoon, and start the name change process when you're home.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards