Wedding Woes

Hallo-Mondays!

Happy Halloween!

Does this mean we get sneak peek pics of people's minis today?  We don't get trick or treaters here and my last house would get close to 200 so I miss out on all the cuteness.

Today is engagement pic day for us, so of course I slept like crap, but at least I'm offish today!

The weekend was fun, Michigan won so take that little brother!  And instead of going home and getting dressed up for Halloween and bar hopping like planned, we stayed out after the game and took very foggy Ubers home around 12.  Sunday morning was not fun!

Re: Hallo-Mondays!

• I bought like a million pounds of candy at the store on my way home, since the neighborhood is swarming with children, and as I was unloading it all, DH says, "Didn't I tell you?  I wasn't going to do Halloween because you are not going to be here."

Poor kids.  I bought the good stuff, too.

We went on a surprise date on Friday night.  I love when DH texts me and says, "Meet me at X for dinner."  So we spent too much money and drank too much and no one got out of bed on Saturday... Not even Hiccup, and she's usually ready to play at 5:30.  We watched the first 3 episodes of Channel Zero and it so fuh-REAKING creepy.  If you have a thing about teeth, I don't recommend the show.  It was a wonderfully lazy day.

Sunday, I loaded the car up with some of the things we don't want the movers to pack, and drove back to my hotel.  Idk what the girl at the front desk thought as I brought in crates of old books, all the artwork, half of the houseplants, and about 2 dozen bottles of wine, but who cares?

I am holding down the fort at work this week, and I was super stoked about all the responsibility I have and all the things I need to do... and then I was 2 minutes late to the Monday morning status meeting (really the ONLY meeting I need to go to during the week), which meant I missed it (because it's a cardinal sin to show up after the doors are closed), so it's kind of derailed my entire morning.  I need to be more like Taylor Swift and less like somebody stole my car radio. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @Heffalump, I thought my family was going to implode this weekend.  I'm glad they pulled if off last night.  ;)

Let's see...our weekend...

Friday night: We didn't do anything. 

Friday into Saturday:  DH's grandma (MIL's mom, who's also cuh-razy) called 3 times between midnight-ish and 2am.  Her husband isn't doing so hot (old, with a lot of health problems) and he's kind of hanging in there, but you know any time could be 'the time'.  Between the 2nd and 3rd call, I was not sleeping because I was calculating how much of a clusterfuck having to go to NC right now for his funeral would be.  Answer: a HUGE one.  With the 3rd call, I was all, "Answer it. ANSWER IT NOW!" and turns out she thought he was at work and just wanted to talk to him.  I also found out she calls him like every night.  

Saturday:  Because of the sleep interruptions, it took me a long time to get out of bed.  I went shopping (Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond, plus Meijer).  I got home and FIL had come over.  The boys had left to go to lunch, so I put shit up and met them.  After lunch I went to my fave local boutique that has just moved locations.  I found a super cute dress and it is the softest thing ever.  I can't wait to wear it with boots and leggings for holiday stuff. 

Sunday: We went to the Colts game.  It was fun, but a sucky loss.  After we got home, I got in my PJ's and the only thing I did the rest of the night was make dinner. 

We'll have ToT pics of DefConn tonight.  I hope DH gets home in time to get some sleep and not be HAM for ToT (or skip it all together and then I have to go it alone. :( ). 
  • I also apparently have THE WORST laryngitis, which magically manifested overnight, rendering me laughably silent.  I did not discover this until my boss called just a few minutes ago, and I couldn't even say "Hello," and the effort of carrying on even a brief conversation was both painful and exhausting.

...I feel like someone cast "Silencio" over me.  It is good to know that wizards may actually exist, however.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• mrsconn23 said:

We'll have ToT pics of DefConn tonight.  I hope DH gets home in time to get some sleep and not be HAM for ToT (or skip it all together and then I have to go it alone. :( ). 

YES.  DH has had to go into the office the morning of Christmas Eve before.  He WFH all day this past New Year's Eve.  Fine, w/e.  But I'm like "You're going to be home early tonight, right?"  Two kids to take ToTing and 10,000 ringing our doorbell--there is no way I'm flying solo on this one.  All hands on deck.

• @kvruns, I love your costume!

kimmi, your nephew is adorable!

• Ok so there is a big flare up on my neighborhood group about "codes" for ToT, has anyone heard of this? Apparently people in the neighborhood have codes for neighborhood kids and if they say it they get something extra/better/secret that other kids don't get. Is this a thing? Seems pretty obnoxious to me. Also makes me judge my neighbors who don't want kids from "bad areas" coming into our "nice little neighborhood". Please we live in the city. 
  • Ok so there is a big flare up on my neighborhood group about "codes" for ToT, has anyone heard of this? Apparently people in the neighborhood have codes for neighborhood kids and if they say it they get something extra/better/secret that other kids don't get. Is this a thing? Seems pretty obnoxious to me. Also makes me judge my neighbors who don't want kids from "bad areas" coming into our "nice little neighborhood". Please we live in the city. 
    I've never heard of that and wtf on giving better/more candy to some kids but not others? What a thing to teach your kids
  • @kvruns I. LOVE. IT!!

I'm working a few hours and then going to the Bears game. H is flying solo with the first Halloween at the house. Hopefully we have enough ToTers to go through the candy we got but not enough to be annoying.

On Friday, halfway through the Cubs game, I realized that H had lit a candle on Wednesday when the Cubs won. So I ran to light a candle, but it was too late. Brought the candle to a party on Saturday and brought it to bed last night because we watched the last two innings in bed. I have officially turned into my mother with her crazy good-luck candle or no candle and other weird superstitious weirdness. The Bulls of the 90s caused lots of superstitions with her and I inherited it. I'm not mad.

We had a fairly quiet weekend. Yesterday we bought all the things at Meijer and then I came home and cooked for what felt like ever. Pasta salad, soup, salads, brownies, burgers and meal prep for the rest of the week and I thankfully won't have much else to do with the kitchen since our mains are grilled this week.

H is calling the fence guy today. We wanted to talk to our neighbors to be neighborly but they're not home a lot and we're running out of time. Plus we've already decided what we're getting so I'm not sure what talking to them would do other than a warning kinda thing. I'm thinking about putting cookies on their doorstep with a note.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Ok so there is a big flare up on my neighborhood group about "codes" for ToT, has anyone heard of this? Apparently people in the neighborhood have codes for neighborhood kids and if they say it they get something extra/better/secret that other kids don't get. Is this a thing? Seems pretty obnoxious to me. Also makes me judge my neighbors who don't want kids from "bad areas" coming into our "nice little neighborhood". Please we live in the city. 
    They all need to watch this week's Last Week Tonight.  It's about school segregation and racism.

And yeah, they're racist assholes...maybe not intentionally, but that's what happens in the end.  THEY ARE KIDS ToTing FOR HALLOWEEN YOU FUCKS!  Just let them have fun.  
    Right?! They are kids, who cares what neighborhood they live in. Our streets are well lit and are far from major roads so they're safe, of course people want to bring their children here. What's the alternative they ToT in less safe areas? 

The rascism here is unbelievable. These are children were talking about! Let them have fun and be safe. 
  • I can't believe people have code words!  That's gross.  When we lived in the country we'd come to town because it was the only way we could go to more than 2 houses. 

We have a lot of kids, but it's fun.  Our house sits on a grassy cul-de-sac.  The neighbors get together early for a potluck and set up tables of candy.  The people without kids hang out and watch the bowls (not that kids are too rude) and we go as a group.  As kids start to fall off, need to go to the bathroom, we split up.

In gross news: My neighbor called Saturday night.  Her daughter jumped off a swing and landed funny on her arm.  The bone broke just above the elbow and the elbow dislocated and turned 180.  There was no pulse in the fingers so they had to do surgery at midnight Saturday.  Daughter is going to be great, but I think neighbor lost a few years this weekend.
  • I remember a few years back when this was a DP letter, about kids coming from "less affluent" areas, and how the LW didn't actually have to give them anything, right?  Ugh @ these people.

I think I confessed a week or so ago that I do give extra to the kids I know.  But I'm not stingy with anyone (I overbuy candy because I'm paranoid about running out, and then I end up giving it out by the handful).  I just know and like Wooz's friends in the neighborhood, so if they get a couple extra Starburst or Snickers, then cool. 

My mom was on a big thing about this in her old house, because of people who would bring vans and let their kids ToT from "outside of the neighborhood." (Gasp!)  And I'm like, give out candy if you want to.  If you don't, then leave your porch light off and watch Netflix instead.  But I genuinely don't get the whole ranking and evaluating, like people who live within your neighborhood boundaries are worthy of your fun size Kit Kats, and other kids are not.  It's gross.  "But I can't buy candy for 500 kids!" she would say, and I was like then don't.  Buy candy.  Pass it out.  Shut it down when you run out.  The end.  If a kid who lives two miles away gets a pack of Skittles and a kid from the next block comes later and misses out, I promise that second kid will live.

Anyway, our town is being developed, and for a long time it was a bunch of houses on acreage with half mile long driveways off of a main road, no sidewalks, so just terrible for ToTing.  Our neighborhood has sidewalks, decorations, tons of kids, and is generally safe and well-lit and walkable and fun, so if the far flung kids want to pop in and enjoy Halloween, I'm glad.  In the old house, there were apartments not too far away, so we got a lot of those kids, too, and I don't blame them. 

Image result

Image result

• @OliveOilsMom is this the 20 week u/s?
    I had to push my stomach out a bit because I don't have the basketball bump like the version I originally saw, I just have a blob bump lol
  • edited October 2016
    I took my oldest to get new tires put on his car Saturday. I made the appointment online on Friday and assumed everything was fine since I never got a call. We go in Saturday and they tell me the tires I had ordered have been discontinued and the comparable ones are $153 more. I asked why no one called and she insisted they had. Well they hadn't called my number because I hadn't had a call since Thursday. I agree to the new, higher price and we leave. Then she calls to tell us that the alignment is out so I agree to fix that since there's no point in spending $550 on new tires with bad alignment. I ask how long it will take and she says, "Only about 30 minutes. I'll let them know and you can head on up." We get there more than 30 minutes later and the car is still up on the rack. The service manager is shocked that we're there because the car wasn't ready. Apparently, she never told anyone that we wanted the alignment done and were on our way. I explained my displeasure at the whole situation to the service manager who finally agreed to do the alignment for free.

I went yesterday and got my hair chopped off. Guy walks in the door at work this morning and says, "Holy shit! You cut your hair! It looks good!" I wasn't exactly sure how to take that. 

As for the whole ToT thing...I understand wanting to go to a safer neighborhood, but it totally grosses me out when people say they only want to go to the "better" neighborhood because the candy is better. There were people in the "Down on your luck OKC" FB group talking about going to the adittion where Kevin Durant used to live so $1,000,000+ homes not to be safe, but because they expect better candy. It wasn't about going somewhere a lot of people will be participating, only what they think they'll get. Then, when someone suggested a church trunk or treat or the mall, they got all pissy.

eta - that I realize $1,000,000 home is nothing in some parts, but here in OKC the median home value is $134,800. You can get a 2500 square foot house for less than $300,000. In fact, H and I have been looking in my mom's neighborhood and we can get a decently updated 2300 sq ft house for under $190,000. 
  • Yeah, I've heard of people doing that around here @DrillSergeantCat
    with Pacers and Colts players neighborhoods.  
  • I took my oldest to get new tires put on his car Saturday. I made the appointment online on Friday and assumed everything was fine since I never got a call. We go in Saturday and they tell me the tires I had ordered have been discontinued and the comparable ones are $153 more. I asked why no one called and she insisted they had. Well they hadn't called my number because I hadn't had a call since Thursday. I agree to the new, higher price and we leave. Then she calls to tell us that the alignment is out so I agree to fix that since there's no point in spending $550 on new tires with bad alignment. I ask how long it will take and she says, "Only about 30 minutes. I'll let them know and you can head on up." We get there more than 30 minutes later and the car is still up on the rack. The service manager is shocked that we're there because the car wasn't ready. Apparently, she never told anyone that we wanted the alignment done and were on our way. I explained my displeasure at the whole situation to the service manager who finally agreed to do the alignment for free.

I went yesterday and got my hair chopped off. Guy walks in the door at work this morning and says, "Holy shit! You cut your hair! It looks good!" I wasn't exactly sure how to take that. 

As for the whole ToT thing...I understand wanting to go to a safer neighborhood, but it totally grosses me out when people say they only want to go to the "better" neighborhood because the candy is better. There were people in the "Down on your luck OKC" FB group talking about going to the adittion where Kevin Durant used to live so $1,000,000+ homes not to be safe, but because they expect better candy. It wasn't about going somewhere a lot of people will be participating, only what they think they'll get. Then, when someone suggested a church trunk or treat or the mall, they got all pissy.

I used to go to nicer neighborhoods because I love to look at nice houses. IDGAF about the candy. When I got my car, my favorite thing to do was to go "rich housing". Hell, I still like to do that.

But yeah, code words are nasty and ridiculous.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @ShesSoCold that's one of my favorite things to do too. I went to Eureka Springs the beginning of December a few years back and we did a walking tour where people let you into their home to see their Christmas decorations. I love stuff like that. 

I've said this before...I just really wish the kids in my neighborhood would attempt a costume because that's fun for me, but 95% of them show up in their street clothes and they still get candy. Of course, I'm no longer in the "nice" neighborhood so maybe that's why. I don't remember costume-less kids when I lived in a better place.
  • @Heffalump this particular addition is gated and the lots are less than .5 acre. It wouldn't be too taxing to ToT in there, but they're not getting in. Plus...the people that can afford a home that expensive aren't usually the ones passing out the best candy. These people don't have that kind of money by giving it away. 
  • @kvruns Yes - the 20 week anatomy scan!  But we already know its a girl!  Just nice to get to see her again.  We started with a fertility dr, so I literally saw her from a round group of cells to the baby looking creature she was by the 12th week!  Then my regular OB didn't do any further ultrasounds since "I had so many already", so this will be our first look in a few months!

My parents live in a blue color working town.  There are lots of cape cods in the area and you could hit up a lot of houses in a short time.  We used to get tons of ToT growing up, even coming very late before they started implementing time limits on ToT.  It slowly started dying off, not sure if more kids from the neighborhood were just too old or what. 

So my mom stopped buying so much candy.  One year, my parents were on vacation during Halloween, but my mom bought the candy before she left.  So I started handing out the candy and we had many more kids in previous years, so the candy was starting to run out.  I eventually gave the last few pieces away about 20 minutes before the end of ToT.  I saw a little boy coming up to the door, so I tell him to hold on and I go scrambling to the cabinets.  My mom had a box of Tastykakes, so I open it and give the little boy one of the packets.  He goes running back to his mom "They're giving out Tastykakes here!"  He was so happy and I was so glad I didn't turn out the light and shut the door.  I made his night!  I can't imagine giving preferential candy to certain kids because they know the right phrase. 

I do recall getting a candy apple from my friend's neighbor because she did recognize my friend (two houses down).  So that was awesome, but I would have been just as happy with regular candy.

• mrsconn23 said:
    Ok so there is a big flare up on my neighborhood group about "codes" for ToT, has anyone heard of this? Apparently people in the neighborhood have codes for neighborhood kids and if they say it they get something extra/better/secret that other kids don't get. Is this a thing? Seems pretty obnoxious to me. Also makes me judge my neighbors who don't want kids from "bad areas" coming into our "nice little neighborhood". Please we live in the city. 
    They all need to watch this week's Last Week Tonight.  It's about school segregation and racism.

And yeah, they're racist assholes...maybe not intentionally, but that's what happens in the end.  THEY ARE KIDS ToTing FOR HALLOWEEN YOU FUCKS!  Just let them have fun.  
    Right?! They are kids, who cares what neighborhood they live in. Our streets are well lit and are far from major roads so they're safe, of course people want to bring their children here. What's the alternative they ToT in less safe areas? 

The rascism here is unbelievable. These are children were talking about! Let them have fun and be safe. 

Not to mention, I can barely keep track of buying Halloween candy and putting it in one bowl.  No way I'm having some extra special bowl for "select" children...just to be some ridiculous, anti-children bitch.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:

Not to mention, I can barely keep track of buying Halloween candy and putting it in one bowl.  No way I'm having some extra special bowl for "select" children...just to be some ridiculous, anti-children bitch.
    This photo I saw on stfu/mommyish reminds me of all this...my mom used to say there are fun-seekers and fun-suckers.  The writer of this sign is definitely a fun-sucker! 

• Heffalump said:

These people need to take some business classes.  Where I live, anyway, those houses are far enough apart that they'd better be giving out cases of candy to make it worth your time.  The sweet spot are the neighborhoods where houses are on <1 acre so you can hit a whole bunch in a relatively short period of time and maximize your ROI. 

We did give out full size candy bars one year, and I didn't love it as much as I thought I would.  Handfuls of candy are more satisfying, plus if we have leftovers, I feel more virtuous eating 2 or 3 mini Snickers than one full size bar.  I thought it would feel awesome, but it was kind of meh for me.

I use the term ROI all the time, both in regards to time or money I spend.  Seriously loving you applied it to ToTing.

@DrillSergeantCat, I had to get all new tires and an alignment about 4 months ago.  I was super excited to get "run flats" for only $150/each.  I drive a convertible MINI Cooper.  Which is the best car ever, but the trunk is half the size of a normal car and there is no room for a spare.  At any rate, I got a Firestone credit card...6 months same as cash...that I just paid off on Friday.  They irritated me also.  I brought the car in at noon.  They assured me it would be done long before I got off work at 5:00.  By 5:30, they hadn't even started it.  They close at 6:00.  Once they started, they had two guys working on it so they could get out of there.  Still wasn't ready until 6:30.  Only 90 minutes late (rolling eyes).

The only thing of note that happened this weekend is I'm pretty sure my tenant's (from next door) fridge died.  She called me around 8:00PM last night and told me it had died, but then came back on again.  My H is going over to take a look this afternoon.  In reality, I'm sure it is on its last legs.  I bought it used...already old and a bit banged up...for $100, 5 years ago.  The timing especially sucks, but it's a gift it lasted this long. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sadly after seeing the comments this morning I wouldn't be surprised if one my neighbors had a sign like this. They're all complaining about how the people who said the codes were wrong are ruining Halloween for everyone. I'm assuming these are the neighbors with the large Trump signs as well.