Wedding Woes

Hallo-Mondays!

2»

Re: Hallo-Mondays!

• eileenrob said:

This photo I saw on stfu/mommyish reminds me of all this...my mom used to say there are fun-seekers and fun-suckers.  The writer of this sign is definitely a fun-sucker! 

^^^those are the people that get eggs/TP/soaped windows

My childhood neighborhood is about a mile around, and houses on one side of the street are above street level, houses on the other side are below street level. The whole neighborhood is also a hill. we used to walk the entire thing 2x with pillowcases to hit all of the houses (almost everyone participates). 

Our subdivision now is huge, but so few people participate, that the kids are driven around. I will walk Wolverine on our street and drive to a few other nearby streets where more people participate, but that's it. I don't know if it's a bunch of Halloween scrooges, a lot of older people, a religious thing, or what - we're one of the few houses on our street to decorate - and we get a crazy amount of compliments on our lights/decorations/pumpkins. 
  • A big old "YUCK" to those being dicks about who gets candy based on arbitrary geographic boundaries and/ore xenophobia.  I can't imagine the sort of reasoning that goes into the idea that certain kids are less deserving of candy because they happen to live further away.  I can totally get on board with giving kids you actually know and have a relationship with a little something extra, but it's mega gross to have a password or anything like that.  It's super simple, people: buy however much candy you feel inclined to give away, give it to kids until it is gone, and when you run out shut off your light.

My weekend was intensely busy.  Friday night was a big party where we only knew one person and he was busy running sound for bands that were playing. I'm very extroverted so something like that typically wouldn't bother me, but I was feeling a bit ill and it wound up being a party to endure rather than to enjoy.  Then Saturday night the roles were reversed at our next party: I was having fun and FI wanted to duck out early.  We stayed at "his" until 3 AM on Friday night, but only at "mine" until 11:30 PM on Saturday.  So I was pretty miffed about the lack of parity there.  He felt bad afterwords, but overall not his most shining moment.

Sunday was great, though.  We went to my parents' Halloween party in my hometown.  It was a great crowd of neighbors and family friends, and I had a blast catching up with people.  It's also a pleasure watching FI interact with my parents; as cheesy as it sounds, they have pretty much adopted him as the son they never had.  It was also nice to get some face time with my mom to discuss guest list ideas in person.

Today is just...Monday.  Fi left this morning for a business trip.  His car needs new tires and he has been too busy to dig into it, so I spent the morning doing research and getting quotes and I will be dropping his car off at the dealership tonight since they were the cheapest option.
  • Thanks to a previous post on this board, I signed up with Next Door (I think that's the name) for my neighborhood.  On a nicer side of the neighborhoods thing, there was a message that went out on my local board where you could submit your address as a stop for kids ToTing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks to a previous post on this board, I signed up with Next Door (I think that's the name) for my neighborhood.  On a nicer side of the neighborhoods thing, there was a message that went out on my local board where you could submit your address as a stop for kids ToTing.
    I noticed that last year but haven't seen anyone update for this year.

You know the complaints I saw about Halloween there?  That the ToT times have been shortened by an hour.  People are complaining that they spend a lot of time decorating for the kids and they don't appreciate the hour being taken away.  It's really refreshing to see everyone so generous and into it.  I forget how nice our neighborhood is sometimes.  The worst complaints are about having phone (landline!!) problems and one side of the dog park being locked.
  • Y'all, it is Halloween so I am walking out the door at 4:30 on the dot.  Five more minutes 'til I leave to get the kids, and then Halloween/ToT can really get started.  So stinking excited.

That is all.

• The weekend was awesome! I skipped the hike yesterday because it rained most of the day (also, I was sore from the parade Saturday). Instead I met with my sponsor, then made a couple of meals for our friend who lost his partner and we brought the food to him. Then I made breakfast for dinner for FW, our housemate, and me. 
  • We had a ton of trick or treaters at first and once it got dark not much. Then it dawned on me it was because H changed out the front lights with Black bulbs to be spooky except that means it just looks completely dark at the house. Fail 
  • kvruns said:
    We had a ton of trick or treaters at first and once it got dark not much. Then it dawned on me it was because H changed out the front lights with Black bulbs to be spooky except that means it just looks completely dark at the house. Fail 
    We're 0-3 on Halloweens in this house.  There were some kids across the street.  I tried getting FI to chase them and throw candy at them, but he thought that sent the wrong message.
  • It took me until right now to figure out that your post title was a play on Halloween.  I feel smrt. 

Oh and ToT was all right.  DefConn's a dwadler that gets easily distracted. ;) 
  • My favorites of the night were the little kids who were so excited and trying so hard to remember their manners that would run up the steps and say "Trick or treat, thank you, happy Halloween" all in one excited sentence. And the girl dressed as Hillary who took a picture with my neighbors Trump sign (who was home, but not giving out candy). 
  • We have ZERO kids that stop here.  I have a famous neighbor up the road though this year they put a bowl out with a note "Please take 3 each!" (kind of sad - it's always fun getting to say Hi! - yes, we do know them socially)..  

We only go to the places of those people we actually know - if the kids get 10 pieces of candy total that's plenty!  I also noticed a lot of neighbors who'd normally hand out candy didn't this year - and that's o.k.!

But - what I'm REALLY looking forward to - The Annual Jimmy Kimmel "I ate all your Halloween Candy" video!!!

• My favorites of the night were the little kids who were so excited and trying so hard to remember their manners that would run up the steps and say "Trick or treat, thank you, happy Halloween" all in one excited sentence. And the girl dressed as Hillary who took a picture with my neighbors Trump sign (who was home, but not giving out candy). 
    I would expect nothing less from a Trump supporter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker