Missouri-St Louis

Unavoidable Gap Between Ceremony and Reception

Hey everyone!

My fiancé and I are getting married at our parish and having the reception at the Mahler Ballroom. The parish only allows weddings at 11 and 2 so obviously we picked the 2 o'clock time. Our reception site only lets receptions start at 6. When we first put down deposits and made decisions, I didn't think the gap would be a big deal because these were both non-negotiable locations. But now, I'm getting worried. I know that as a wedding guest I wouldn't want to wait around for 3 hours.

Any suggestions? My in-laws are having their family hang at their house, but my house is far too small to house my family. Please help!

Re: Unavoidable Gap Between Ceremony and Reception

• I love the Mahler Ballroom!  I don't know where your parish is, but is there a place where you could host a cocktail hour that's close to either location? the iTap in the CWE has a level you could rent.

• I feel like most of the weddings I have attended there is a large gap between ceremony and reception. The ceremony is always during the day and then the bridal party goes off for pictures and such then the reception is that evening. I know for my parents personally at my best friends wedding it gave them a chance to go home and let the fur-babies outside. It was also a way for a lot of the kids to be there for the ceremony and then the parents found a baby-sitter for the evening so they could have a night out without kids.

Locals can go back home and non locals can go back to the hotel they are staying at. Or you could offer a "things to do list" for out of towners.

• I feel like most of the weddings I have attended there is a large gap between ceremony and reception. The ceremony is always during the day and then the bridal party goes off for pictures and such then the reception is that evening. I know for my parents personally at my best friends wedding it gave them a chance to go home and let the fur-babies outside. It was also a way for a lot of the kids to be there for the ceremony and then the parents found a baby-sitter for the evening so they could have a night out without kids. 

Locals can go back home and non locals can go back to the hotel they are staying at. Or you could offer a "things to do list" for out of towners. 

@augustgirl21 - gaps are considered rude.  No one wants to make a wedding their entire day.  A wedding later in the day with a cocktail hour gives people the same opportunity to go do whatever they need to do before the reception.  No one wants to wait 3 hours for a reception to start. 

• @ro041Then I guess all my friends and family are rude :-) because that is how every wedding I have been to has gone.

• @augustgirl21 - unfortunately, they are rude.  I haven't been to a wedding with a gap since the 90s (as a kid).  No one anywhere on these boards is going to advocate for gaps as convenient for anyone.  Any convenience excuse is just an attempt to justify their own rudeness.