Registering and Gifts

Returned gifts

Hello! I have a thank you/gift question that I am hoping you guys can help with.

Between issues with the store for our gift registry and issues at the post office, getting gifts delivered has been an issue. There are four guests who tried to send gifts from our registry. They were “delivered” to the post office, but then returned back to the store warehouse and the guest reimbursed for the value of the gift. We were not notified that they were actually “delivered” to the post office. We knew there’s been issues with our post office, so we were trying to keep an eye on it for parcels and didn’t receive any notification (which is why I use the term “delivered” loosely). 

We know that two of those four guests figured out what happened and tried to send the gift for a second time….and for a second time, they were returned for some reason and the guest reimbursed for the value. We feel really bad for these guests who have generously tried to send us a gift and have been inconvenienced by this, especially the ones who have had this happen to them twice and it is obviously not their fault.

So here is the question. All of the gifts have been returned. None of them are in limbo trying to be delivered. I phoned the store to complain about this (and follow up since I didn’t know if they were in limbo or not at that point) and she said she could personally phone the four guests and let them know that if they purchase the present again, they will get 10% off. While I like the idea of guests getting a discount, I really don’t like the idea of these guests being contacted asking them to try to send a gift AGAIN and that is really inconvenient for them and can come across as really gift grabby. 

So do we let the store contact them? Forget it and send a thank you card for what they were trying to send even though it was never received and they were reimbursed? Complain more to the store and see if they can do more for us without contacting the guests?

I really don’t want to be gift grabby, but I also want to recognize that people were generously trying to send us presents, so I don’t want to just ignore that in case they think it’s rude if we act like we don’t care if we’ve received it or not.

Re: Returned gifts

• LondonLisaLondonLisa London, UK
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Ironring said:

Hello! I have a thank you/gift question that I am hoping you guys can help with.

Between issues with the store for our gift registry and issues at the post office, getting gifts delivered has been an issue. There are four guests who tried to send gifts from our registry. They were “delivered” to the post office, but then returned back to the store warehouse and the guest reimbursed for the value of the gift. We were not notified that they were actually “delivered” to the post office. We knew there’s been issues with our post office, so we were trying to keep an eye on it for parcels and didn’t receive any notification (which is why I use the term “delivered” loosely). 

We know that two of those four guests figured out what happened and tried to send the gift for a second time….and for a second time, they were returned for some reason and the guest reimbursed for the value. We feel really bad for these guests who have generously tried to send us a gift and have been inconvenienced by this, especially the ones who have had this happen to them twice and it is obviously not their fault.

So here is the question. All of the gifts have been returned. None of them are in limbo trying to be delivered. I phoned the store to complain about this (and follow up since I didn’t know if they were in limbo or not at that point) and she said she could personally phone the four guests and let them know that if they purchase the present again, they will get 10% off. While I like the idea of guests getting a discount, I really don’t like the idea of these guests being contacted asking them to try to send a gift AGAIN and that is really inconvenient for them and can come across as really gift grabby. 

So do we let the store contact them? Forget it and send a thank you card for what they were trying to send even though it was never received and they were reimbursed? Complain more to the store and see if they can do more for us without contacting the guests?

I really don’t want to be gift grabby, but I also want to recognize that people were generously trying to send us presents, so I don’t want to just ignore that in case they think it’s rude if we act like we don’t care if we’ve received it or not.

You shouldn't act like you received it when you didn't. So I definitely don't think you should just write a ty note for something you didn't receive. If the store contacts them and profusely apologises, I don't think it is that bad. 

Is it a post issue or a store delivery issue? If it's post, I would let the store call guests and see if you can pick it up. If it is the store's delivery service, I think they should just give you these gifts for the hassle (if they are reasonably priced, not like £1000 silver service).
    OurWildKingdomSP29DrillSergeantCat
  • edited November 2016
    Ok, so if the store contacts them to resend it (for two of them, this would be the third time), that's ok? I don't want to be super annoying. 

And yes, they get sent again, we are going to ask for store pick up since that doesn't seem to have any problems. And honestly, we have no idea if it's a store problem or a post problem that they aren't getting delivered. I think it's a combination of both but it's hard to tell. 
  • Ironring said:
    Ok, so if the store contacts them to resend it (for two of them, this would be the third time), that's ok? I don't want to be super annoying. 

And yes, they get sent again, we are going to ask for store pick up since that doesn't seem to have any problems. And honestly, we have no idea if it's a store problem or a post problem that they aren't getting delivered. I think it's a combination of both but it's hard to tell. 
    I see no problems with it. They are clearly trying to send you a gift, and it keeps getting returned. I think the store should follow up and ensure that you can pick up the gift in store. Sounds like the store is trying to make it right. If the guests don't want to repurchase a gift, they certainly don't have to. 
    SP29