Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding band or engagement ring only??

Hello beautiful people!! I am posting to hear your thoughts on my current dilemma. My FH designed a gorgeous ring that I am absolutely in love with. We are trying to decide if I should get a wedding band in addition to the ring or just stick with the engagement ring. 

I love the aesthetic of the ring and think it is beautifully balanced by itself. I tend to not wear a lot of jewelry and I love that it is simple and not too cluttered or busy. It fits my style.

I also love the idea of having a wedding band that would be symbolic of taking the vows and actually being married (not just engaged). 

Also, a side note. I work in healthcare and frequently lift/transfer patients as well as wear gloves for procedures. If I were to get a wedding band I could wear that while working rather than my engagement ring. (Although for the past 5 months I've worn my engagement ring at work-just have to be mindful of where I place my hands during transfers/procedures). 

At this point, I think my options are to either not get one or to get one that could be worn instead of rather than with my engagement ring. I am having a hard time imagining anything that could be worn with the engagement ring that would not make it seem bulky. 

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance :)

P.S. Please excuse the dirty unpolished fingernails in the picture, he proposed in Alaska and I was not expecting it one bit! :)

Re: Wedding band or engagement ring only??

• Such a gorgeous, unique ring! I agree it might be be hard to find a band to match that unless you go custom (totally an option). There is nothing that says you have to have a wedding band, but if you do want one for the ceremony you could do something simple. 

I have an e-ring that was hard to match to a band, so I have two that the e-ring sits inside of, but they are hard to wear on their own. There are many times I wish I had one I could wear separately from my band. 

Think about out what you would want to do most often and go from there. Maybe head to a jeweler and see some options to give yourself a better idea of what bands would look like with and without your e-ring. 
  • Your ring is beautiful. 

I have a pave eternity band. He proposed with it and after the wedding, it will continue to be my only ring (although I do have a cheap fake for when I work in catering). 

Do do whatever works best for you!
  • Beautiful ring!

If you want a band to match, you'll have to go custom. It is your choice if you want a band, or just your e-ring, neither is wrong.

Personally, I would not wear your e-ring to work (I also work in health care). You've got a lot of pointed edges on your ring, I can see it snagging on gloves or getting caught in sheets. I initially wore my e-ring everyday before we got married. I have a 3 stone ring with trellis design, and I noticed that I got build up in the crevices of the trellis- I always washed my hands, so I think it might have even been from the hand sanitizer. After 2 years of wearing my e-ring day in, day out, my centre stone got loose. The above, and the fact I do a lot of sports, was the main reason I got a plain gold band for my wedding band.

Perhaps that is something you could do- get a plain wedding band that you can use in your vows and wear to work, and keep the e-ring for when you're at home/ going out.
  • Thank you all so much for your input!! I think what I will do is get a wedding band to wear separately that doesn't necessarily fit into/match my ring. And thanks so much for the heads up about hand sanitizer/washing. Most days I am in an outpatient clinic so it's not so bad, but days I am at the hospital are for sure tougher on my hands and I'll be glad to have the band. 
  • SP29 said:
    Beautiful ring!

Perhaps that is something you could do- get a plain wedding band that you can use in your vows and wear to work, and keep the e-ring for when you're at home/ going out.
    So much this!  I have a job where I work outside/with my hands a lot and found my e-ring was too "tall" and I would catch it easily.  I got a very simple gold band with inlaid diamonds that I wear everyday.  On days I am in an office, or when I'm going out, I wear both my rings.  That would probably be the best way to go if you are concerned about wearing the ring to work.
  • SP29 said:
    Beautiful ring!

So much this!  I have a job where I work outside/with my hands a lot and found my e-ring was too "tall" and I would catch it easily.  I got a very simple gold band with inlaid diamonds that I wear everyday.  On days I am in an office, or when I'm going out, I wear both my rings.  That would probably be the best way to go if you are concerned about wearing the ring to work.
    I'm not big on jewelery, so unless I'm going out for a night on the town, all I wear is my simple wedding band.  Your ring is stunning!
  • @KnotRiley this vendor is back again

• Beautiful ring!!

I didn't want an engagement ring, but FI's mom gave me his grandmother's ring to re-use the stone (the band itself had long been bent out of shape). We took that to a jeweler and found a beautiful setting that looks very much like an engagement ring. I'm going to use that for the ceremony and it will be my only ring.

Long story short....I don't think it's odd at all if you don't want a wedding band. That would allow the uniqueness of your ring to show through! I do love PPs ideas of a simple wedding band to wear for times when you maybe don't want to wear this ring (vacation, working outside, etc).