Wedding Woes

You're not getting any money. Just stop.

Dear Amy: I am a 28-year-old woman, working at a job I love.

My father routinely lies to me.

When I was growing up he sold his business for several million dollars. He chose not to pay his taxes, invested the money, lost it all and then kept it hidden from my mother until the truth came out that he was under IRS investigation.

He has always been secretive and deceptive with his money, hiding money in the ceiling, taping it to the backs of photo frames and opening secret bank accounts and bragging that my mom didn’t have access.

Fast-forward 10 years. My parents are divorced. I paid my own way through college, spent four years in counseling and am in the process of buying my first home. My dad agreed to give me $10,000 toward my down payment in lieu of contributing toward a wedding. Two weeks later he denied ever having that conversation.

Last month, he was bragging about saving more than $75,000 in 2015. He says he received approximately $500,000 in inheritance.

When my offer was accepted on a home, I let him know that I needed him to write the check. He accused me of being “manipulative” and “backing him into a corner.”

Now I am angry and bitter. I don’t know if I should still try to work toward having a healthy relationship, or back off with the realization that his money is more important to him than keeping his word.

What do you think?

Sad

Re: You're not getting any money. Just stop.

• I wouldn't have ever counted on that money.  LW should go back for some more counseling.  I think she needs it.  

I think the LW should just keep her father at arms length and not ever ask that man for anything because she just won't get it.  She should also consider if she wants to ever have a relationship with him.  

I hope she actually has the money to move forward on the home purchase without him.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2016
    So Dad said he'd give her $10k. Then he said the conversation never took place.  Then she asked for it. Why did she ask for the money if he had already as much as said he wasn't giving anything to her? 

I think it's crappy that he backed out on his word, but I get the feeling she's the type of person who asked him to pay for the wedding. She comes across like she thinks she deserves his money. It sounds like she thinks he should have paid for college too. 
  • @Heffalump your FIL sounds like my SF. He once bragged to my brother about having more money than he knows what to do with, but every time my mother wants to buy something or go somewhere he claims they don't have the money. She actually considered leaving him a few years ago because she wanted to go on vacation and he told her they didn't have the money. When she questioned why, he admitted that he'd secretly been giving his youngest daughter money.

As for the letter, I can understand her hoping that this time will be different since he's been bragging about an inheritance, but at the same time I wouldn't expect anything to be any different since he's always been deceptive with money.
  • Stop trying to turn someone into what he isn't.   He's not going to be nice, he's not going to be honest and he's not going to give you money.   At best, he's a mentally ill narcissist.   At worst, he's a fucking asshole.   But at truth, he's not writing you checks.