Wedding Woes
Options

Poll: Speaking of heat.....

What do you guys keep your heat at in the fall/winter/maybe spring months? And where are you located?

- I have it programmed to 68,  And sometimes it stays there - but often times it has a mind of it's own and goes to 65.  I don't know if my programming doesn't work or if it's legit broken.  65 is to cold for me :( 
-IL

Re: Poll: Speaking of heat.....

• Options
    68 year round. I live in suburban Chicago and I like to be cold. So we pay out our asses on the summer but save a bit in the winter. I'd let it dip lower than 68 but that's too cold for the dog.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Indianapolis, I think ours is set at 70 most of the time. I'd prefer it set a little lower in winter to save money, I don't mind putting on a hoodie and blanket but H won't go any lower
  • Options
    Winter: We keep the house at 22*C during the day (72*F), at night the thermostat goes down automatically to 18*C (64*F). Summer: When we have the A/C on it's set for 25*C during the day (77*F) and 22*C (72*F) overnight. In the Spring and Autumn the windows are open so no heat and no A/C. The A/C only goes on if it is over 35*C and high humidity (95*F). 
  • Options
    We have a weird cobbled together heating system--finished basement is heated by a gas fireplace on a thermostat, main floor is the original antique radiators, and upstairs is (ugly, expensive) baseboard electric.  No central air, so window units in the summer.  (I adore older homes, but this is the downside.)

We keep the bedroom 66-ish year round and the main floor more like 68.
  • Options
    This is a constant fight in our house. We live in NY, and I like the house to be cold. Ideally, I like to keep it at 65. My husband likes the house hot and would be happy at 68-70 degrees. We try to meet in the middle. 
  • Options
    Ours stays between 70 and 72 throughout the fall/winter/spring if it stays cold. I HATE being cold and refuse to set it below 70 once it gets chilly outside. We also have a gas stove that we use and that can get the house super toasty - I've seen the thermostat read over 80. Luckily my house is tiny and we don't have central air, so we don't mind paying a little more (and it really is only a little) in the winter for heat because we spend next to nothing in the summer months.
  • Options
    I swear DH is part snowman.  If he had his druthers, the house would be 58* year round. I can't handle that, so we compromise with 67 (day) 65 (night) in the summer and a balmy 64/62 in winter. Pay extra in summer, save tons in winter, but wife has year round cold feet she likes to press up against warm skin. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    When the heat is on, it is 68 during the day and 65 overnight. When the A/C is on, it is 74 when we are home during the day, 78 when we are at work, and 71 overnight while sleeping. We like it cold while we sleep, but mostly try to keep the house comfortable for the cat. We live in central IL.
  • Options
    I swear DH is part snowman.  If he had his druthers, the house would be 58* year round. I can't handle that, so we compromise with 67 (day) 65 (night) in the summer and a balmy 64/62 in winter. Pay extra in summer, save tons in winter, but wife has year round cold feet she likes to press up against warm skin. 
    This is us too. He would keep the heat off until it snowed if he had his way. 

Best compromise we made was buying a house with a wood stove. We try to get the house temp to around 70 with the stove and set the furnace to 63ish when we're not around to tend to the fire. 
  • Options
    Fall/Winter we keep it warmer than Spring {off in summer obv}

Right now it's approx 23*C {or 73*F} and I just bumped it up from 21*C {69*F}

Spring will likely be more like 21*C {69*F} because we'll have more sunshine, but it's hard to say.
  • Options
    In the Philly area.  In summer we keep the house around 78.  In the winter we keep the house at 68.  This is for when we are home, we have it programmed for the temp to dip in winter and go higher in the summer when not home.  We do watch how hot it gets in the summer though, since we have dogs.  
  • Options

I'm in Southeast Tennessee. Our winter temps here are generally pretty mild, So I keep the heat set to 67. If DH is in town he likes it at 68 or 69, but I usually sneak and switch it. You can always put more clothes on, but there's only so much you can take off ;) I am also basically a walking furnace though, so I'm hot no matter what.

Summer here is ridiculously hot, so I usually have to keep the air set at 66 or 67 during the day just to keep the house at 72. It runs all. day. long.

• Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2016
    Winter: We keep the house at 22*C during the day (72*F), at night the thermostat goes down automatically to 18*C (64*F). Summer: When we have the A/C on it's set for 25*C during the day (77*F) and 22*C (72*F) overnight. In the Spring and Autumn the windows are open so no heat and no A/C. The A/C only goes on if it is over 35*C and high humidity (95*F). 
    I would die in your house. 

I keep the heat at a steady 67 for the sake of the animals. Upstairs AC is set at 77 during the day, and 68 overnight. Downstairs AC is set at 75, except for days/times we're using the downstairs (evenings after ~5ish, and over the weekends) at which time, it's around 70 (me) or 72 (DK).

67-70 is my ideal range. Since we did a bunch of energy savings work on our house, it's gotten a lot cheaper/easier to keep it in this range. It's a little on the cool side for DK and Wolverine, but they can always put on a layer. 

I got the HVAC company to install some wireless thermostats when we got the new AC units this summer, and I love them. I can control the whole system from my phone.

ETA - we live in Houston. This weekend is the first time that I turned on the heat since February or March. 
  • Options
    We only have heat and there is no on/off switch.  Just turn the thermostat down to the lowest temp.  We live in a 3 story townhouse, middle unit.

We just turned up the thermostat a few days ago.  Even though outside temps have ranged highs 60 to lows in the 20's.   We just closed the windows too.     

Winter we set it below 70 (it's not digital, so hard to tell the exact).   The bedrooms still gets up to 70's, so we often keep the ceiling fan on all year. Known to open the windows too.

Spring we turn down the thermostat and then do not touch in again until late fall.    We have a window a/c unit for the bedroom.  We use that a few weeks a year at night only.   We set it around 65.

We are pretty lucky. Our power bills and gas do not have big swings.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2016
    I'm in Central IN. 

We try to keep our house between 65 and 67.  We have an infared heater that we keep upstairs in the hallway and leave all the bedroom doors open (our upstairs is small...like 800 sq ft.)  I turn it way down during the day (like 62-64) and turn on my little heater in the office.  I also wear fleece/sweaters around the house and bearpaw boots (sheepskin fuzzy boots).  And lots of blankets on the beds.  We have a fireplace too. 

Our electricity bill flirts with $400/month in the winter.  Our electricity is provided by a co-op.  I wish we had another provider option. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I'm in Central IN. 

We try to keep our house between 65 and 67.  We have an infared heater that we keep upstairs in the hallway and leave all the bedroom doors open (our upstairs is small...like 800 sq ft.)  I turn it way down during the day (like 62-64) and turn on my little heater in the office.  I also wear fleece/sweaters around the house and bearpaw boots (sheepskin fuzzy boots).  And lots of blankets on the beds.  We have a fireplace too. 

Our electricity bill flirts with $400/month in the winter.  Our electricity is provided by a co-op.  I wish we had another provider option. 
    ouch.   Ours is is around 90-103 a month in the winter.   70-80 spring fall.  80-90 in the summer.

Our heat and cooking is gas.   It's on balance pay at only $28 a month.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    This is us too. He would keep the heat off until it snowed if he had his way. 

Best compromise we made was buying a house with a wood stove. We try to get the house temp to around 70 with the stove and set the furnace to 63ish when we're not around to tend to the fire. 
    I think my parents and grandparents are all snowmen (snowpeople)? I, however, feel like a displaced camel. I'm lucky to have found H - a kindred spirit in New England. H and I both like warm/hot dry temps. We keep our house at 71 and our families all keep their houses at 62-65.
  • Options

Upstairs AC is 75 during the day in the summer, 80 when we're at work, and I think 74 or 75 at night.  Heat is 72 during the day, 65 when we're at work, and 70 overnight.

Downstairs AC is 76/80/76 (I think), heat is 70/65/70.  We have thin blood and hate to be cold. 

There's a gas fireplace in the family room, and it kicks out a ton of heat--the downstairs thermostat will hit 80 if you leave the fireplace on long enough.  (Which is WAY too hot for me, but just right for DH, LOL.)  And it's an open floorplan, so pretty much the entire downstairs gets hot if you leave it on.  But that's our winter plan, in case of ice storms and power outages: it's an electric ignition, so we flip it on when freezing rain starts to fall, and then even if the power goes off, as long as no one turns it off, we'll be toasty warm. 

• Options
    In the summer, the AC is set at 75 during the day, 72 in the evening, and 69 at night. In the winter, it's 69 during the day and night and 72 in the evening.
  • Options
    In Indiana. 68, which is sort of a compromise because I'm always freezing and would rather it were at 75, and H is always hot and would prefer it were cold enough for penguins to habitate here.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    This is my first time living somewhere where I can control the heat (NYC apartments almost exclusively have giant steam radiators that necessitate a Brooklyn a/c the entire winter, unless you love living in a sweat lodge) so I'm going to be experimenting this winter. Haven't turned the heat on yet, but I'm probably going to stick with ~70. My husband loves it to be cold but there are only so many blankets I can bundle under :P
  • Options
    We have electric baseboard heating in three zones:  the living areas (living room/dining room/kitchen), both bedrooms and the bathroom.  We set the living area and bathroom at 70 degrees all winter and don't heat the bedrooms.  We are upstairs in a 4-plex and the temperature in our small apartment depends on what the downstairs tenants have their heat set at.  

In the summer we have a wall AC unit in the living area set at 72 and use a fan to push the cool air into the bedrooms.

We live in southern MN so it can get very cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer.
  • Options
    drglitter said:
    In Indiana. 68, which is sort of a compromise because I'm always freezing and would rather it were at 75, and H is always hot and would prefer it were cold enough for penguins to habitate here.
    This made me giggle.  I am one of the penguin folk.  Fortunately FI likes it on the cool side too and is (mostly) willing to let me dictate the temperature.
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:

I keep the heat at a steady 67 for the sake of the animals. Upstairs AC is set at 77 during the day, and 68 overnight. Downstairs AC is set at 75, except for days/times we're using the downstairs (evenings after ~5ish, and over the weekends) at which time, it's around 70 (me) or 72 (DK).

67-70 is my ideal range. Since we did a bunch of energy savings work on our house, it's gotten a lot cheaper/easier to keep it in this range. It's a little on the cool side for DK and Wolverine, but they can always put on a layer. 

I got the HVAC company to install some wireless thermostats when we got the new AC units this summer, and I love them. I can control the whole system from my phone.

ETA - we live in Houston. This weekend is the first time that I turned on the heat since February or March. 
    Lol, FI and I are always cold and we live right on the water. The outside temperature is always 5*C cooler in our area. We are North facing too, a couple of winters ago we hit temps of -35*C with windchills at -50*C.
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:

Lol, FI and I are always cold and we live right on the water. The outside temperature is always 5*C cooler in our area. We are North facing too, a couple of winters ago we hit temps of -35*C with windchills at -50*C.
    I don't live by water, but we had that temp last couple years :\
  • Options

My H and I are both hot-house flowers.  We like to keep the house in the low 70s year round.  But at least we agree!

I'm with @SaintPaulGal, we also live in an old house with no central.  We have two front rooms that are open to each other.  There is a window ac/heat unit AND a ventless gas heater in one room and an electric fireplace with heat, like a big space heater, in the other room.  We can't control the temp on the gas heater other than off/low/mid/high.  Once the cold gets going, we keep it on low whenever we are in that room.  Sometimes mid, but never high.  We have not turned it on yet this year.

Our bedroom only has a ventless gas heater.  We recently broke out our king-sized super warm and comfy goose-down comforter.  We haven't had to turn our gas heater in the bedroom on yet, just because of that.  Once it gets cold enough, we usually keep it on low.  But only when we go to bed.  Move it to "mid" for only the coldest days, but never need high.

No a/c or heat at all in the middle of the house.  Which encompasses the bathroom, a bonus room, and the kitchen.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FI and I have been arguing about this.  It's currently set to 71 and I think the thermostat is wrong because it's cold in here!
  • Options

We are a hot people, so we prefer a chill.

In the summer we try our very best to keep it at 68, but the last couple of summers have been so brutal we've had to bump it down to 66.

In the winter it's usually in that same range.  If we're just hanging out at home and we're cold we put on layers or blankets (and then peel them once we start sweating, because it's a given).

We're in IA.

• Options

We're in Southcentral PA.  In the winter the house is set to 64 during the day and 62 overnight.  In the summer the AC is at 76 during the day and 72 when were home/overnight.  Spring/Fall the windows are either open or we just shut them and let the house self regulate without using the central heating/cooling.

My husband likes the house cold and wishes it was set lower...I can't feel my feet or nose most of the time and end up in a pile of blankets.  He is always warm.  I finally got him to turn the thermostat up to 66 on Sunday when we had that super windy weather and I was uncontrollably shivering for over 20 minutes.  I HATE SHOWERING this time of year because it is just so damn cold in our house.  I really hope I can convince him to up it a degree or two each year!

• Options
    Ours is around 74... I'm hypothyroid so am constantly FREEZING!  I have no idea what the garage/gym temp is but I'm wanting to get that on a digital timer sometime soon.  When I go out of town and DH is here - then the thermostat gets set to 68...