Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What would you do?

My best friend is pregnant with her first child and her baby will be a few months old at the time of my wedding. She is my first friend to have a baby and I don't have any nieces or nephews, so I basically have no experience with newborns and how moms feel about things.
     I haven't officially asked her to be in my wedding yet, but it is kinda implied that she would be part of the day. I would love her to be part of my wedding, but I also don't want to do anything to pull her away from her baby. Of course I would be happy for her to to bring the baby with her while we are getting ready in the morning (more time to spend with my new "niece/nephew"!) and would only ask that her husband looks after the little one during the ceremony.
     I'm not planning on having a shower or bachelorette party and have absolutely no expectation of her or my other two BM's to do anything but show up that day in the dresses we all agree upon.
     I guess I'm curious to hear from other moms if you would have wanted to be included in the bridal or to attend as a guest with your husband and baby and be able to come and go as you pleased. This will be their first time travelling with the baby and I want them to be able to relax and have a fun weekend. 
     Maybe I'm just way overthinking everything...any insights would be appreciated

Re: What would you do?

• Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    If you'd like her in your wedding - go ahead and ask!  

One thing I'd recommend when it comes to BM dresses is to select a color and designer (I.e. David's because of the Quick turn-around) and let the BM's choose their own style/cut of dress.  That way she can wait until close to the wedding and purchase something within her budget and time constraints without "rush fees" being tacked on.  Her proportions and size will greatly change during the time of her pregnancy and post-baby body can greatly change in that three-month span of time (if she's latching/pumping can also change her needs in a dress design).  

ETA: Pumping/Latching/Formula Feeding...  Be aware, the baby is going to need to eat and bathrooms are not an acceptable location to do this.  Also, this is not predictable at 3mo as to what time this will need to take place, babies at that age don't care that it's time for Mommy to walk down the aisle and aren't going to wait until she's done.  Some babies refuse to take bottles, so if she's latching that's where it can become an issue.  If the baby is going to be formula fed, it's nice to have a place that Dad can take baby to be fed that's comfortable!
  • Options
    I was in a wedding several years ago. One of the bridesmaids was a cousin of the groom. They were TTC when the bride asked her to be in the wedding, and it was brought up kind of the way you're thinking of doing it. "I know you  may be pregnant or have a small infant and if it's too much please don't feel pressured, but I'd love to have you there." In the time between when we bought our dresses and the wedding, she got pregnant with and gave birth to (preemie) triplets! The bride was super supportive the whole time (and she was quite the bridezilla normally!) and the bridesmaid had a few family members watch her babies during the whole thing. 

It sounds like you have the right idea and want to be supportive of your friend, which is awesome! I think an honest conversation is the best way to go. Extra props if you tell her she doesn't have to wear EXACTLY the same dress as everyone else and let her prioritize comfort! :) 
  • Options
    Absolutely ask her! My BM due 2 weeks before wedding and she desperately wants to still come along (if she is able).

also think about how she may feel if you don't ask her because she will have a baby. If you want her there it is better she knows that and that if she doesn't do it the decision is hers.
  • Options
    Agree- ask her, if you want her there- let her make the decision.

I would tell her that you are OK with her making a last minute decision about her capacity to attend and/or participate in the ceremony. Her only role is to walk down the aisle and stand up beside you in the agreed upon attire, so her making a last minute decision should not affect any of your decisions.

If she decides last minute she cannot participate in the ceremony, or cannot attend at all, she can still be your bridesmaid/MOH. Depending on her post-partum recovery, if she needs to, she could walk up the aisle and then sit in the front row, +/- baby, if need be. Very considerate of you to have a private room she (or husband) could feed the baby in.

As for the dress, I agree with finding a dress store that either has dresses off the rack or a store that is a chain, thus dresses can be ordered in in a few weeks (like David's Bridal). I would also be flexible with what your WP wears (which I think bride's should be anyway); give them a colour and a designer/store. This will allow your friend to buy her dress after baby comes and pick something she is most comfortable in.

Enjoy your wedding planning!