Wedding Woes

my kid is funny - story by DK

DK posted about an exchange he had with the after school daycare staff, yesterday.
Sharing it as he wrote it, except changing the names. Wolverine is our 6 yo daughter, and the other girl in the story is 6 as well. 

"The after school director asks me to talk in a room when I am getting Wolverine today. Has happened before so I think great what did she do now. He relays a conversation Wolverine had with another girl student

Girl: my penis hurts
Wolverine: you don't have a penis you have a vagina
Girl: no I have penis
Wolverine: no you don't
repeat that in turn and 
Wolverine getting annoyed

I am trying not to laugh. He reiterates Wolverine wasn't in trouble. Didn't use bad words and was just correcting another student on anatomy but says she shouldn't use those words in school because some parents may get offended."

I find it more offensive that adults are offended by names of body parts. DK and I both thought this was hilarious. 

Re: my kid is funny - story by DK

• *Barbie* said:
    DK posted about an exchange he had with the after school daycare staff, yesterday.
    Sharing it as he wrote it, except changing the names. Wolverine is our 6 yo daughter, and the other girl in the story is 6 as well. 

"The after school director asks me to talk in a room when I am getting Wolverine today. Has happened before so I think great what did she do now. He relays a conversation Wolverine had with another girl student

Girl: my penis hurts
    Wolverine: you don't have a penis you have a vagina
    Girl: no I have penis
    Wolverine: no you don't
    repeat that in turn and Wolverine getting annoyed

I am trying not to laugh. He reiterates Wolverine wasn't in trouble. Didn't use bad words and was just correcting another student on anatomy but says she shouldn't use those words in school because some parents may get offended."

I find it more offensive that adults are offended by names of body parts. DK and I both thought this was hilarious. 

I would be pissed off that someone was offended by using proper anatomical terms. I'm expecting to have a similar conversation with my son's teacher when he starts school. However, they are supposed to be learning proper anatomical names in grade one, so hopefully it won't be a big deal. 
  • I don't understand them being upset on using proper terms, but I would understand if they're trying to teach that not all kids are built the same.

Maybe this child was transgender? I could understand the teacher wanting to clarify with your H about that.
  • It is so important to teach our kids the proper terminology! If, god forbid, they were molested and had to tell an authority figure about it terms like hooha and pickle can be twisted by the defense's attorney. It's terrible that that's something we parents have to consider, but every time we bathe Mouse we tell him what we're washing...stinky feet, legs, arms, tummy, penis, testicles, etc.
  • It is so important to teach our kids the proper terminology! If, god forbid, they were molested and had to tell an authority figure about it terms like hooha and pickle can be twisted by the defense's attorney. It's terrible that that's something we parents have to consider, but every time we bathe Mouse we tell him what we're washing...stinky feet, legs, arms, tummy, penis, testicles, etc.
    Giggling at the bolded :P 
    Lol. We kind of sing that to him and he cracks up every time.
    It's not until you're yelling at your toddler "stop touching everything in the bathroom with your penis!" that things get fun.
    one of my friends has 2 boys and I'm pretty sure I've heard her say that on the phone at least once lol
  • MNNEBride said:
    Was the other girl's parents talked to about her use of penis?
    Or asked the other girl about her penis and why it hurt?  Kids say the darndest things but there could be a medical problem or abuse.
    This was my thought. Why are you talking to a parent about a child knowing anatomy when another child could have been calling for help?
  • Update - I got pulled in yesterday (again - what did she do wrong this time?). The guy told me that he did talk to the other girl and her dad as well - she kept insisting to him that her penis hurt, so he told her that she needed to tell her parents and the doctor. (It's after school, so he couldn't send her to the nurse.) He thought the whole thing was pretty funny - but told us because he has had parents get all upset before, so figured full disclosure was better than not saying anything.

I did mention to DK that as far as we know the girl is intersex/trans and maybe has a penis - but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. (Wolverine told us it's a girl that she knew from her last school/daycare - we know she's always presented as female.)

Hopefully for the sake of the little girl there's no abuse - her dad seems nice enough, but you never know.