Attire & Accessories Forum

is it bad if I want to use sneakers on my wedding day?

I  always prefer comfort over style... but i do not know if it will be accepted by friends and family haha

Re: is it bad if I want to use sneakers on my wedding day?

• No, it's not bad.  Even if it's not some guests' personal style, as long as it's not something that effects their experience, I doubt it'll be something they remember.
  • Thanks Eileen!
  • I've seen this done before, it's NBD.

• Wear whatever makes you happy. 
  • No it's not "bad."  You are entitled to wear whatever you want on your own body.

With that said, I do think you will get some side-eye if you choose to go that route.  It's human nature for the guests to want the wedding couple to take the event at least as seriously as the guests themselves do, and if they put thought and effort into their attire there are bound to be some who won't appreciate the appearance that you half-assed it.  There are plenty of footwear options that are both comfortable and at least moderately formal.
  • I think it is fine- your decision to wear what you want.

I am assuming you are thinking of buying some special wedding sneakers (whether you wear them after the wedding or not is your choice, but I am assuming they are new for the wedding) versus your everyday sneakers. I have seen a few brides wear something like white shoes with sparkly laces, or similar.

One can potentially spend as much on sneakers as heels.

People will get it if they fit your personality. And unless you are lifting your dress, or it is short, no one is going to see your shoes anyway.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2016
    You can wear whatever you want, but there may be family members who give you the side eye.

Personally, I think if you're wearing a formal gown, you should wear formal shoes to match (no one says you have to wear high heels or something uncomfortable. As @SaintPaulGal said, there are comfortable options for nice shoes), but it's up to you. 
  • I would personally feel silly and underdressed to wear sneakers with a wedding gown, but if you won't, wear what you like. Just make sure your hem is done at the right length for your height in those shoes. My cousin wore cowboy boots, which is not to my taste either, but other people's opinions only matter as much as you let them matter.
  • A friend of mine switched out her ceremony shoes for her actual running shoes at the reception. She's a competitive runner. 

I get that "everything should match the formality of the event", but honestly who really cares? What you wear on your feet does not affect the event or your guests in any way. Wear what makes you happy!
  • I have a friend who got married in a big poofy white wedding dress wearing green chucks. Her husband was in a tux in black chucks. It just fit their style so well and looked really cute, they have some fun pictures of the shoes and the contrast is cool. Ignore the [possible]  haters, wear what you want. 
  • I've seen so many wedding sneakers while researching. Many look great and comfortable. Like these kate spade sneakers: https://www.katespade.com/products/keds-for-kate-spade-new-york-glitter-sneakers/S287693GF.html?dwvar_S287693GF_size=10&cgid=ks-bridal-shoes&dwvar_S287693GF_color=786#start=34&cgid=ks-bridal-shoes

Or I've seen brides make little paintings related to the wedding on their white flats/sneakers. Anyway, wear what you want in the end, there's nothing wrong with it! :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's not my thing, but to each their own. There's no rule requiring you to wear fancy high-heeled shoes as a bride - or to spend the money on them! I wore very simple, low-heeled shoes I'd had in my closet for years that happened to be ivory. 

Do make sure you wear your sneakers (or any other flat shoe you may choose) to your dress fittings so that your dress is hemmed properly. 
  • Unless your dress is improperly hemmed or is not full-length, who's going to see them? I wore Converse wedges and I am so glad I did. I haven't worn a pair of pumps in so long that my toes wouldn't know what to do if I tried and my H is over a foot taller than me so I needed the height. 
  • Awesome insights and perspectives!! Thank you guys so much!
  • yes, my question was going to be - how long is your dress?

• edited December 2016
    Not bad at all to me. I have plantar fasciitis and am limited in what I can wear when it flares up. Lucky me, I had a nice flare-up a few days before my wedding. I decided to wear the shoes I bought for the wedding but ended up having to change into my Tevas for the reception because my feet were hurting so bad. Looking back, I would have worn a more supportive shoe from the beginning.  You do you. 

Eta words

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    If you want to wear sneakers with your wedding gown because you like the idea, then go for it.
    If you want to wear sneakers with your wedding gown because you think it will be different, unique, or make a statement, then don't, because it has been done - a lot!
    Alternative suggestion:  My very tall daughter wore soft ballet flats.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'm wearing the Kate spade shoes someone linked above. They are super cute and way comfy. Plus I love the height difference me and my fiancé have. I want to be my normal height when we get married. But I say to each their own. It's YOUR day:)