Chit Chat

What to engrave?

edited December 2016 in Chit Chat
My fiancé has asked me to surprise him with his wedding band. He wants just a simple band that will match mine, but to make it special I want to engrave both with something significant. When he asked me to marry him he asked if I would spend forever with him. Should I get Forever His/Hers or Forever Mine on the rings?

What to engrave? 6 votes

Forever His/Hers
50% 3 votes
Forever Mine
50% 3 votes

Re: What to engrave?

• I don't love either TBH. What about your wedding date or your first initial and his first initial? Or 'forever ours'?
  • We did our initials to each other along with the date. EX. VPR to JBR 3/17/91 and JBR to VPR 3/17/91.
  • Not a fan of either. 

I wear my grandmother's wedding band from 1930.  It has their initials and wedding date.   I prefer that to either of your options.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited December 2016
    Maybe forever us and I am thinking of having the date after the words
  • How about just Forever?
  • You know, I think the whole "symbol of your marriage" thing makes it special enough. No engraving needed.

It's like unity ceremonies. Is it wrong to do? No. Is it basically unnecessary, considering your vows are already a ceremony uniting you? Yep.
  • I think engraving is a nice thought... something only he can see when he takes off his band.

Personally, I like "Forever Ours" best. Ultimately it should be whatever is most meaningful to the two of you.

I got DH's wedding band engraved (mine isn't) with "Until 2+2=3", which is something DH said to me years ago when we were dating (how long he'd love me for). Cheesy, sure, but it's ours :).
  • "Put it back on [H's name]"  ;)

• I like dates and initials the best. (Bonus- should the ring ever be lost, it's easier for whoever finds it to track the owner.)

This made me think of S&TC- "ever mine, ever thine, ever ours." Saying "forever his/hers" sounds kind of...creepy possessive. 

• I like dates and initials the best. (Bonus- should the ring ever be lost, it's easier for whoever finds it to track the owner.)

This made me think of S&TC- "ever mine, ever thine, ever ours." Saying "forever his/hers" sounds kind of...creepy possessive. 
    That' what it reminded me of, too. But I couldn't remember what it was from. 
  • How about your wedding to forever?
    Like...
    12/24/16 to forever
    Love this!  It incorporates the "forever" thing from the proposal without the squicky possessive thing @thisismynickname called out.  (I totally and completely agree with that sentiment, by the way!) 
  • I agree that it feels sort of creepy.  Is there a phrase that has specific meaning to the two of you?  We have no way of knowing what that might be, which makes crowdsourcing your inscription tricky, and somewhat impersonal.
  • Heffalump said:
    I agree that it feels sort of creepy.  Is there a phrase that has specific meaning to the two of you?  We have no way of knowing what that might be, which makes crowdsourcing your inscription tricky, and somewhat impersonal.
    I'm thinking Star Wars
    "I love you" "I know"

and The Fault in Our Stars
    "okay?" "okay"
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    Heffalump said:
    I agree that it feels sort of creepy.  Is there a phrase that has specific meaning to the two of you?  We have no way of knowing what that might be, which makes crowdsourcing your inscription tricky, and somewhat impersonal.
    I'm thinking Star Wars
    "I love you" "I know"

and The Fault in Our Stars
    "okay?" "okay"
    See, I was thinking Harry Potter: "Always." 

Because it works whether you understand the reference or not.

ETF grammar

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman