Wedding Woes

Just booked wedding planner - unresponsive!

Hi everyone,

I had a phone call with a partial wedding planner/designer that I clicked with, and she sent me a proposal a couple days before Thanksgiving. I took the holiday break to think about it, but I was pretty sure I wanted to hire her. She sent me an email that Monday saying that another couple was interested in booking her for our wedding date and I had first rights of refusal, so I quickly paid the retainer and sent her an email saying I'm so excited to be working with her. 

I never got an email or response from her confirming the payment or even just a nice message like "Yay we're set. Thank you for choosing XYZ planning company!" I sent her an email 4 days later asking if we were good to go, and she apologized and said a  welcome packet would "be in your inbox shortly".

It's been a week and I haven't gotten a welcome packet! I'm feeling very in the dark and uncomfortable, like she pressured us into making a decision and paying a large sum of money, but hasn't even told us what the next steps are. We booked for partial planning and she made it seem like we'd be scheduling a design meeting ASAP. I just feel like you should make your client feel warm and welcome and excited - like they made the right choice - and right now I'm not.

Am I being impatient, or is this a valid feeling? Should I email now that it's been a week and ask about the welcome packet? 

Thanks!

Re: Just booked wedding planner - unresponsive!

• edited December 2016
    So she's not completely unresponsive, she replied to your email, apologized for not getting back to you as quickly as you liked and said she would send you the welcome packet soon. Aside from not confirming receipt of your payment (which I think she should have done), I don't think she's done anything wrong, yet. You booked her what, last Monday? Emailed her last Thursday to confirm? So it's only been a week. If you don't get anything from her by the end of the month I'd be worried, but not yet. She has other clients, probably holiday weddings, and unless your wedding is right around the corner I think you should try to be a little more patient. 

If she doesn't get back to you by then email to follow up and go over the expectations you both have moving forward. 
  • Hi everyone,

I had a phone call with a partial wedding planner/designer that I clicked with, and she sent me a proposal a couple days before Thanksgiving. I took the holiday break to think about it, but I was pretty sure I wanted to hire her. She sent me an email that Monday saying that another couple was interested in booking her for our wedding date and I had first rights of refusal, so I quickly paid the retainer and sent her an email saying I'm so excited to be working with her. 

I never got an email or response from her confirming the payment or even just a nice message like "Yay we're set. Thank you for choosing XYZ planning company!" I sent her an email 4 days later asking if we were good to go, and she apologized and said a  welcome packet would "be in your inbox shortly".

It's been a week and I haven't gotten a welcome packet! I'm feeling very in the dark and uncomfortable, like she pressured us into making a decision and paying a large sum of money, but hasn't even told us what the next steps are. We booked for partial planning and she made it seem like we'd be scheduling a design meeting ASAP. I just feel like you should make your client feel warm and welcome and excited - like they made the right choice - and right now I'm not.

Am I being impatient, or is this a valid feeling? Should I email now that it's been a week and ask about the welcome packet? 

Thanks!
    I think you're being impatient. When is your wedding? She did respond, and told you you'll get the welcome packet. 
  • Definitely like others said, if your wedding is more than a year then don't worry. Things get back-burner but they haven't forgotten about you.

Also, wait some more time. I would give it another week then email back about the welcome packet. With Christmas and New Years coming, it could be a very busy time of year for your venue.
  • The wedding is mid August. I should clarify that during our phone consultation around Thanksgiving, she mentioned scheduling our first meeting at the venue before the December holidays or in January. Our main package with her is design. She told me she wants her clients to have the full design bible at least 6 months before the wedding. 

I'd just expect her to try to get our first meeting on the books for January at least, so she has enough time to create the design bible by February. Also, part of her services includes access to Aisle Planner, which I'm anxious to use to keep track of my budget, timeline etc.

I know I'm being impatient, as it is the busy holiday season, and I appreciate all your responses. I'll give it at least another week.