Wedding Woes
Options

Christmas movies

Things are winding down here, and the White Christmas comments earlier in the week reminded me:

Discuss your favorite holiday movies.  Clearly, White Christmas is wonderful.

DH and I somehow got in the habit of watching Love, Actually.  Sometimes while assembling stuff and stuffing stockings on Christmas Eve.  My mom really wanted to see it way-back-when, and I was skeptical, but we went.  Somehow, DH and I started watching it.

Also, I bought Home Alone off Amazon Video last weekend.  So many of my childhood favorites have not aged well.  (Ghostbusters, I'm looking at you.)  But I still love Home Alone.  It turns out Wooz had seen part of it at a friend's, but she had never seen the beginning.  (As far as she was concerned, it was just a kid beating the crap out of two burglars, and that was good enough.)

Also, as a former Chicagoan, I was like "Look!  On the floor!  It's a Marshall Field's bag!"  I am unmoved when Kevin and his parents are reunited, but that bag gets me every time.  Airport Express, the United terminal at O'Hare--I'm sorry, I need a moment.

Re: Christmas movies

• Options
    I also love Home Alone and Love Actually. Classics that hold up so well. 

Charlie Brown Christmas and Muppet Family Christmas are absolute must-watch movies every Christmas, usually Christmas Day. I have to say I do like Polar Express a lot, too. 
  • Options
    Our 'required' list:

Home Alone (I'm in the same, "D'awww Marshall Fields!" camp, as I was born in the area and lived there until I was 15.) 
    Christmas Vacation
    Elf

DH likes Hallmark Christmas movies (giant eyeroll). 
    I love It's a Wonderful Life, but I don't watch it as much.  It's my dad's favorite and he cries every time. Charlie Brown Christmas is also one I enjoy, but DH hates Charlie Brown (another fave of my dad's).  

• Options
    Rudolph and Charlie Brown top my list. I do like the old ones like White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life. This year I have been addicted to the Hallmark Channel!
  • Options
    Rudolph, Frosty, Frosty Returns, Charlie Brown are traditional faves
    {typically I watch with my mum or we text during it} - side note; always hot chocolate when watching these!

Love, Actually and Nightmare Before Christmas are my faves

We use to watch It's A Wonderful Life, White Christmas and Scrooge {Alistair Simms - 1946 version} but those were faves of family that passed - so my mum and I generally don't
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Die hard? Nightmare before x.mas. i have been watching the Hallmark channel with MIL since I have been staying here, it's fine but I wouldn't say I enjoy them.

Eta: i am a scrooge though.
    And 'how the grinch stole christmas'  (animated version) is one i would watch.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    OH! @charlotte989875  just reminded me Polar Express and Muppet's Christmas - the one with Fraggles, Sesame Street, Muppets, etc!
  • Options
    OH! @charlotte989875  just reminded me Polar Express and Muppet's Christmas - the one with Fraggles, Sesame Street, Muppets, etc!
    Yes! It's the best. We had a VHS we had taped off TV (with old commercials) and watched that until a few years ago when H finally bought me a DVD. 

"The Turkey's the turkey, you turkey!"

I could quote the whole movie. 
  • Options
    The Magoo version of The Christmas Carol and The Grinch were our must-watch movies growing up.  When my kids are old enough to sit through them, I can't wait to start that tradition with them.

DH and I watch Love Actually once every couple of years, and it may be due in part to my Kate Winslet crush, but The Holiday is always enjoyable too.  
  • Options
    My classics:
    -Muppet Christmas Carol
    -Rudolph and Frosty
    -The Family Man (random Nick Cage "It's a Wonderful Life" ripoff that I am oddly attached to)

His classics:
    -Home Alone
    -National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
    -Christmas Story

Does anyone remember the animated TV special Noel about a little sentient ornament who has "a happiness"?  It was made in 1992, and I don't know if it ran multiple years but my family taped it when I was really little and it was always one of my favorites. Well, we tracked it down online and watched it last year, and OMG it destroyed us!  We were both sobbing our eyes out by the end. I can't believe how sad that little show is with adult eyes, and I don't know how I watched it all those times without being completely dead inside.  (Cliff notes version: all the decorations are alive and hate being shut away in the attic/discarded at the end of the season, they look on helplessly as generations of family members grow old and die, the main character also dies at the end when he falls from the tree and shatters.) 
  • Options
    .... I actually haven't seen most of those movies y'all have listed.   Back when Spike TV did the 007 Days of Bond, my family and I would always watch that, and somehow it kind of evolved into us just watching Live and Let Die every year. I didn't see the animated Grinch until this year, I didn't see Home Alone until last year, and I still haven't seen all of Die Hard. My husband perpetually is asking me, "Who are you?"

White Christmas, Miracle on Thirty-Fourth Street, and Nightmare Before Christmas are typically the only Christmas movies I watch. I do also love Christmas with the Kranks.

U/O: I fucking hate Elf.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2016
    I forgot The Santa Clause.  I haven't watched it in several years, but that's always a good one.

I just saw White Christmas for the first time the year before last.  And Home Alone for the first time last year.  I have never seen Die Hard, Elf, or Scrooge.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I grew up watching the Rankin-Bass specials and A Charlie Brown Christmas, so of course I love them. I also love Miracle on 34th Street (the original only; don't bother with the remakes), White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, Home Alone, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and any version of A Christmas Carol.

Last year, FW and I decided to start a new tradition of watching Die Hard on Christmas.
  • Options
    eileenrob said:
    The Magoo version of The Christmas Carol and The Grinch were our must-watch movies growing up.  When my kids are old enough to sit through them, I can't wait to start that tradition with them.

DH and I watch Love Actually once every couple of years, and it may be due in part to my Kate Winslet crush, but The Holiday is always enjoyable too.  

I'm a sucker for The Holiday!
  • Options
    Old Chicagoan here with the list........

Here Comes Suzy Snowflake and Hardrock, Coco, and Joe.

Nothing says "Christmas" to me better than Die Hard.  In Home Alone, the Fields' bag and the old man watching his granddaughter get me every time!

Meet Me in St. Louis is wonderful!  I also love White Christmas.  The Christmas Scene from An Affair to Remember also gets to me no matter how often I watch that!  The Bishop's Wife is awesome, and I personally enjoy The Christmas Carol version with George C. Scott.  The original Miracle on 34th Street

My kids grew up with Rudolph and Charlie Brown Christmas.  My son will text from California and ask me to remind him when it airs <3
  • Options
    I just finished watching Love Actually (it's on Netflix)- it's one of my favourite movies ever.

I also really enjoy White Christmas, which is usually reserved for Christmas Eve. I also enjoy the children's classics- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon version), Frosty, Rudolph and the Peanuts Christmas.
  • Options
    I'm not Christian, but I will watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas and A Charlie Brown Christmas.  
  • Options
    Ooh I love this!

We both love Elf, Charlie Brown, Home Alone, The Grinch, & Rudolph.

H also loves A Christmas Story.

I'm a big fan of Miracle on 34th Street, Nightmare Before Christmas, and The Holiday.

It's not really considered a holiday movie, but I have to watch Sleepless in Seattle at Christmastime every year.
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    eileenrob said:

I'm a sucker for The Holiday!
    We just watched The Holiday last night!

My two favorite Christmas movies are actually ones that aren't that popular- The Christmas Shoes and The Family Stone.

We watch both of those every year, as well as National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, and a few older cartoons we have taped on a VHS tape from when I was little (The Bears Who Saved Christmas and Nick and Noel). I usually watch most of the ones that are on regular TV channels (no cable) every year, like Rudolph, Frosty, Shrek Christmas, etc. We also usually end up watching a few of whatever Christmas movies are on Netflix that year. We watch a lot of Christmas movies the whole month of December :)
  • Options
    My sister gets here Wednesday and has already announced that Wednesday night is White Christmas and wine.  FI anounced he'll be in the basement playing video games.

It's honestly the only Christmas movie I seek out.  The rest of the time I watch whatever is on, especially catching at least one rerun of Christmas Story on the TBS Marathon.  Every year I attempt Love Actually and every year I fall asleep.

I love the cheesy TV produced Christmas movies that feature puppies.  So cheesy, and so easy to watch!
  • Options
    Unpopular Opinion: I hate Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life. 
  • Options
    Agree with both.  Is Christmas Story that one with the blond kid in glasses who wants a gun?  If so, I saw it once years ago- nothing special.  I appreciated It's a Wonderful Life the first time I saw it, and I've seen it a couple times since, but it's not a movie I have to see every year. 

• Options
    eileenrob said:
    Agree with both.  Is Christmas Story that one with the blond kid in glasses who wants a gun?  If so, I saw it once years ago- nothing special.  I appreciated It's a Wonderful Life the first time I saw it, and I've seen it a couple times since, but it's not a movie I have to see every year. 

Yeah, that's the one. I think it's cute but not amazing. However, it's FI's number one must-watch-or-it's-not-Christmas movie so I've seen it 5 times now. 
  • Options
    Die Hard 
    Patrick Stewart's Christmas Carol
    Scrooged
    The Santa Clause
    Bad Santa
    And my all time must watch favorite, Smoky Mountain Christmas.  Dolly Parton is a national treasure. 

If I ever have to sit through it's a wonderful life, ever, again, there will be pain. Not mine. Without a safe word. 

• Options
    Completely agree with PPs. I absolutely cannot stand It's a Wonderful Life.
  • Options
    Die Hard, Gremlins, Scrooged, Original How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
  • Options
    I've never really been able to "get" it's a wonderful life. I think I've only seen it once. Sadly, H likes it. 

I really like White Christmas. Last year, I saw National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation for the first time and it was so funny. I also like Elf and the The Santa Clause movies. 
  • Options
    I completely forgot on movie - Sound of Music!
  • Options
    Die Hard, Gremlins, Scrooged, Original How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
    what version?
  • Options
    Scrooged - Not, A Christmas Carol. 

• Options
    Just introduced K to Scrooged.  Seeing all of those 80s comedians made me nostalgic as all heck.  I also love nearly all versions of A Christmas Carol, but especially Patrick Stewart and...Albert Finney? is that his name?  Finally, all of the old claymation movies.