Snarky Brides
Options

Irked

I don't even know if this is me being snarky or if I have just had enough. My future MIL is mental and I am not just throwing this term around lightly. She constantly picks fights with my fiancée and then threatens not to come to our wedding. Our wedding is a destination wedding and although my fiancée and his parents aren't particularly close, I know he would like to have them there. This weekend she picked a fight and then sent me a cryptic message stating that her relationship with my fiancée is irreparable and she just wants him to be happy so she has to leave him alone. I didn't realize until after I shared it with my fiancée that was her way of telling me she isn't coming to the wedding. I honestly find the constant threats of not attending cruel and it is draining balancing her emotions with wedding planning. My mother passed away a few years ago and dealing with her not being there is tough enough, I don't need nor want the extra drama from this toxic person. I want to politely acknowledge receipt of her text but then again I really don't want anything to do with her. Has anyone dealt with anything like this? How did you handle?

Re: Irked

• Options

Lol. I needed that little laugh. He hasn't talked to a counselor but I have recommended it to him. She has been this way his whole life and it is so upsetting to me that he finds this normal.

• Options
    I agree that this is a sucky situation but it is best to stop feeding your FMIL.  I would just reply you will be missed and stop engaging her.  The more of a reaction she gets the more likely she is to keep behaving poorly.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    You will not be able to please your FMIL.  Stop trying.
    Encourage your FI to get counseling.
    Respond to FMIL as others have suggested.  "Sorry you won't be there.  You will be missed."  (She is going to hate that!)  Odds are, she will come.

My MIL sat in a corner, crying, at our reception, telling everyone that her son had just made the biggest mistake of his life.  I never stopped smiling.  I ignored her, and I got a lot of sympathy from the other guests, who knew her tactics well.  A few years later, she discovered that if she wanted to see her grandchildren, then she had to behave.  Any tantrums from her meant that we left immediately.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    My dad's mom pulled the same crap with my mom for SEVERAL years after they were married (I remember her calling my mom during the day to tell her how shitty of a person she is, etc). My mom quit engaging with her and when we'd go to events at their house, she'd talk to everyone but her MIL. Things kind of got a little better, but his mom kept on for her entire life about how my mom "took her baby away." It's not a great situation, but people pull that crap to get a rise out of you. If you ignore them and don't let them see you sweat, they tend to back down a little.
  • Options
    People are who they are, not who you want them to be. 

Text back ' We're sorry you feel that way. We'll miss you. You are of course still welcome if you change your mind' and leave it. 

She is doing this roller coaster because she knows it gets a rise out of you. Don't let her bait you for attention. 
    That's what I did when my grandma threw a tantrum about how she shouldn't even bother coming up for my wedding because "no one [was] going" since it was only immediate family and my BFF. She ended up coming but either way it gets the point across that you don't care about their fit and they can whine all they want, just not to you.
  • Options
    My bio-dad isn't coming to my wedding, and it's mostly because he's an immature jerk who doesn't want to see my step-dad walk me down the aisle. I understand the frustration of dealing with someone who is sending text messages and being emotionally manipulative, etc. My response to my bio-dad not coming (which he texted me after a phone call) was, "I'm sorry you feel that way. I love you, and wish you would come, but I understand."

I highly suggest that, if you respond, you keep it very minimalist-- something like, "I'm sorry you feel that way." And keep it to that, if they continue.

Also, I'm sorry to hear that your mom passed.