Chit Chat

NWR: Things to do near Scottsdale, AZ.

It looks like I am headed to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale for cancer treatment.  We will be there about six weeks, probably in January.  It makes more $en$e than to go to Maryland to see the kids.
Any good ideas for us?  I guess I'm going to be a snowbird this year!  DH loves outdoor activities, but I probably won't be up for a lot of physical activity.  Shopping Malls!!!!  Whee!
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: NWR: Things to do near Scottsdale, AZ.

• There is a really cool butterfly exhibit.  It sounds cheesy and ridiculous but there is something so amazing and serene about being inside the habitat!

We went to Fountain Hills to see the fountain one day too....they had a cool walking local artisans market in the plaza too.

Best of luck with treatment!

• So I lived there for a long time and still visit frequently. Where are you staying?

Mayo is right near Kierland which is an outdoor mall with a ton of great restaurants. Try North Restaurant. True Food and the Green House are also good. 

DC Ranch is also close by, its higher end but still have some good restaurants and shops. Try Grimaldis there. The Herb box is great but can get pricey. 

Hike Pinnacle Peak or at least go wander the area. There are also some relatively easy hikes around Squaw Peak. 

Desert Ridge is another outdoor mall, maybe 2 miles from mayo. Try Pita Jungle there. They also have a really nice movie theater. 

Tee Pee is my favorite mexican restaurant, but its about 20-25 minutes South of Mayo. Its a hole in the wall but worth the drive. 

Sedona is about 90 minutes north. It can be a great day trip. Its very crunchy. But they have some great art galleries and it feels completely different td than Scottsdale. It might have snow in Jan/ Feb. 

Desert Botanocal Gardens- beautiful and easy walking. 

Wonder around Old Town Scottsdale, very touristy and hard to park but its somethign to do. 

Other restaurants worth looking into:
    Flo's Chinese- each location as a different menu
    La Fonda
    Oreganos- go at an off time, they don't take reservations. 
    Tonto Bar and Grill
    The Henry
    BabyFruit Ticker