Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Navy Blue and Black?

Has anyone ever had or seen navy blue and black as the main colors?  I'm thinking about doing black dresses with navy blue tuxes, but I'm wondering if that would clash.  I also am thinking of accenting with white flowers, lots of greenery and some gold here and there.  Also a possibility is navy blue dresses and black dresses with just black tuxes.

Re: Navy Blue and Black?

• Options
    I like that combination, especially with the white flowers, greenery, and gold. I prefer navy dresses with black tuxes, though.
  • Options
    I love black dresses, and I really like navy blue suits (I didn't realize they made navy blue tuxes!) but I'm not loving how they'd go together.  Maybe if both the dresses and tuxes had the same color gold accent to bring the looks together?  Only bc they're close enough that if they don't match, I feel they'd kind of mismatch (as opposed to if the guys were in navy blue tuxes and the ladies wore gold dresses...totally different colors so people would think they compliment each other).  Although, like I said, I love black dresses.
    FYI  I'm super unfashionable so my advice shouldn't be taken too seriously.  I do love the white flowers, greenery and gold accents! 
  • Options
    Armani does not make a blue tuxedo, so I'd keep the men in black :)
  • Options
    I like your color scheme a lot and see nothing wrong with navy and black.

However, navy blue tuxes might make you look back at wedding photos and cringe (think brown tuxes, pastel tuxes, etc.). If you're going with tuxes, keep them black. 

If you want to stick with black dresses (I would do navy personally), add navy in with the stem wrapping on their bouquets and throw in a couple of dark blue flowers among the white. Add a navy bowtie and pocket square to the black tuxes. The rest of your decor in white, navy, gold and black will be lovely.  
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I also want to note that navy tuxes/suits are hard to find for rent, and often there is only one (pricey) option. H wanted navy for his side but we nixed it due to this and just had his GMs in black. 
  • Options
    Navy and black are both neutrals, so they go. The look might be dark, but if you're good with that, go with it.

Find a navy suit to buy should be easy, but I agree you'll probably have an easier time with black tuxes and navy dresses. Or do black for both and have navy with the bouquet.
  • Options
    I'm doing navy dresses and black suits! I hadn't given a thought really to if they match, but I also don't usually think about matching in my daily life so I am a fashion disaster. They're both neutral colors and both look great with white flowers, greenery & gold. Go for it!!

But yes, seconding navy dresses & black tuxes....colored tuxes tend to be harder to find and look a little "dated" sooner than a navy dress would. My BMs have had no trouble finding a navy dress (and one has actually worn hers a couple times already!).
  • Options
    Navy blue and black are both neutrals and look fantastic together.