Wedding Woes

Monday!

2»

Re: Monday!

• My weekend was pretty good. H got off at a reasonable hour Friday so we went for Mexican. Saturday, we waited a bit until it warmed up some and went to Home Depot for carpet padding and Kilz. H found a new yarn store by the house so he took me there, too. He got sticker shock at the price of the yarn so I had to explain that the stuff I buy at the craft store is mostly acrylic and this stuff was real fibers (wool, silk, etc).

When we got home he started painting the nursery. One wall is a dark purple with glitter! It still needs one more coat, but then we can put together the furniture.

I have had a nasty cough all weekend. I wake up hacking and it seriously sounds like I'm a 2 pack a day smoker even though I've never once smoked. It's annoying. 
  • 6fsn said:
    I realized that if I didn't like my MIL, I would be more willing to tell her that the food I had on Monday night was the catalyst to my issues lmfao!!

That being said, she does not know that could be what caused it. We don't want her feeling bad lol

You might need to mention it before you eat there again though.  So she won't get you sick again.
    It was part of a side dish, and seeds generally aren't part of the main course so we're safe until we go there next. I know she'll feel bad though :(
    {fyi - it was green beans with a poppy seed dressing mix}
  • Heffalump said:
    @MissKittyDanger, holy crap!  Hoping you feel much better soon.

@6fsn, vibes for a healthy kid soon!

@NOLABridesmaid, you're back!!!

@ everyone here, I really want to know the thought process behind this pose:

Picture of Fawn Net

Bigger: http://www.tenadurrani.com/fawn-net
    IDK, but Naomi Smalls does it all the time and I loathed it.  

• @DrillSergeantCat  Yay glitter! ;) And yikes for cough :( this pregnancy has just given you so many other health issues!
  • @DrillSergeantCat  Yay glitter! ;) And yikes for cough :( this pregnancy has just given you so many other health issues!
    The glitter is AMAZING!!! It's a lot but not in your face. This one has actually been easier than with Mouse. I had to use a motorized cart to go grocery shopping because I couldn't walk without pain or getting short of breath. I had to have several cardiac tests done. With her, I'm just really susceptible to colds and I think that's Mouse, too honestly.

Speaking of Mouse....this kid got his daddy's appetite. At daycare Friday, he ate applesauce and cheerios for breakfast, had a 6 oz bottle, a container of sweet potatoes, more cheerios, green beans, brown rice, cheesy ravioli, blueberries, more applesauce, apple bar bar bites, another 6 oz bottle, rice and beans, tortillas, and tortilla chips on Friday. 
  • Heffa, I think someone has been watching too much America's Next Top Model. She looks like she is in pain. 
  • My NOLA recommendations not already mentioned are some beignets at Café du Monde.  And Emeril's NOLA.  If up for a ride, Jac Imo's is great for dinner!  We took a trolley through the garden district and walked the couple of blocks to the restaurant - very easy!  I'm not sure what section of the city it's considered, but it was past the colleges and zoo.

Jaques Imos is my all-time favorite restaurant anywhere, ever.  4-star quality/taste for 2-3 star prices.  Very NOLA food, but with their own amazing/unique flavors.  Make reservations or go early.  There is almost always a wait.

(Ahem, cough, cough)...it's a streetcar, not a trolley :).  But @OliveOilsMom is right.  If you take the St. Charles streetcar all the way to the end, you can walk a few blocks to the restaurant.  And the streetcar ride is just fun anyway!  It's a great way to soak in some of the city.

Palace Café (on Canal St.) and Delmonico's (an Emeril's restaurant) are both spendy, but good, 4-star restaurants.  But they have EXCELLENT Happy Hour pricing with $5 plates.  Last time we were at Delmonico's Happy Hour, my friend and I gorged ourselves on gourmet food...$5 at a time, lol.  We left full and happy for only $25/each, which also included a few cocktails.

St. Charles Tavern, also off the streetcar line but much closer to Downtown, has great home cooked food and good breakfasts.  Open 24 hours.

It's hard to find cheap, good eats in the French Quarter itself.  But I've got you covered.  There is a bar called the Jimani (pronounced Gemini).  Don't let the "bar" part fool you.  They have AWESOME food because their sauces are so good.  Even a "boring" chicken club sandwich is to die for.  However, my fave is their steak sandwich.  They're open 24 hours.

They're only open for breakfast and lunch, but the Ruby Slipper is a good choice.  Really convenient for the Downtown business crowd.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Weekend was decent!   I'm coming down with a cold and that's no fun.   The runny or clogged nose has woken me up a few times over the weekend but luckily it's not too awful.

Saturday we stayed snowed-in.   It wasn't awful but also wasn't worth venturing out into it before the plows came.   My brother gave Chiquita a "snow day kit" as her Christmas gift so one of the Saturday activities was UNO and hot chocolate while Chiquito napped.

Sunday I hurt my back getting dressed (how??!?!?) and it took Advil and hours to get it better.   We went to church and then I held up my promise to take Chiquita ice skating.   It wasn't as much fun for her as I hoped but I want to take her again - maybe with a friend next time.   I'm trying to find fun things to do for weekends to get us out of the house and the 2 hours of public skate at the rink 20 min away is a decent bang for the buck.

Then the Giants lost.  :-1:
  • 6fsn said:
    I realized that if I didn't like my MIL, I would be more willing to tell her that the food I had on Monday night was the catalyst to my issues lmfao!!

That being said, she does not know that could be what caused it. We don't want her feeling bad lol

You might need to mention it before you eat there again though.  So she won't get you sick again.
    It was part of a side dish, and seeds generally aren't part of the main course so we're safe until we go there next. I know she'll feel bad though :(

For M's penne pasta with tomatoes, couldn't he just use the outer part of the tomato without the seeds?

I'm a speshul snowflake who doesn't care for all the "runny" inside part of a tomato and just uses the outer part for salads, pastas, etc.

Oh!  You probably mean the sauce.  That just blew my mind thinking about all the things that have tomato sauce.  Now I'm extra bummed for you :(.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Weekend wasn't great.

H is depressed and I don't know how to help him, and he doesn't know how to tell me how to help him. So I hug him a lot and tell him I love him about every 5 seconds.

I think he needs to quit his job and find one he actually likes. That obviously won't cure his chronic depression, but, I think it triggered this dive into a deep dark hole I've never seen before.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @sparklepants41  I'm on meds to clear up what's there, but as I mentioned to @kimmiinthemitten  I've gotta change diet to avoid this again :(
    Ugh - the no strawberries, tomatoes, everything bagels, etc. sounds so unfair! But I am really happy that you were able to eat pickles (I love pickles so much and cannot imagine having to give them up)
  • drglitter said:
    Weekend wasn't great.

H is depressed and I don't know how to help him, and he doesn't know how to tell me how to help him. So I hug him a lot and tell him I love him about every 5 seconds.

I think he needs to quit his job and find one he actually likes. That obviously won't cure his chronic depression, but, I think it triggered this dive into a deep dark hole I've never seen before.
    You and I had the same weekend for the same exact reasons. Except this morning it came to head when H told me he's quitting his job and he's going to drive a truck. He's currently researching driving schools. I feel...things.
  • drglitter said:
    Weekend wasn't great.

You and I had the same weekend for the same exact reasons. Except this morning it came to head when H told me he's quitting his job and he's going to drive a truck. He's currently researching driving schools. I feel...things.
    At least it's a plan, I guess? Hugs.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • drglitter said:
    drglitter said:
    Weekend wasn't great.

At least it's a plan, I guess? Hugs.
    Thanks. It will completely upend everything we planned on doing this year, including trying to get pregnant, but his happiness is more important than a job. Hugs for you as well.
  • My NOLA recommendations not already mentioned are some beignets at Café du Monde.  And Emeril's NOLA.  If up for a ride, Jac Imo's is great for dinner!  We took a trolley through the garden district and walked the couple of blocks to the restaurant - very easy!  I'm not sure what section of the city it's considered, but it was past the colleges and zoo.
    Holy crap, I can't believe I forgot about Jacques Imo's!  That was the first restaurant I ever went to Uptown.  Acme Oysterhouse was the first restaurant I ever ate at in NOLA..... imagine, walking down Bourbon St at age 17 with your father because you were looking at colleges in the city and the school admin told you that the most expensive hotel in the French Quarter was the most convenient one to Uptown...

Everyone raves about Emeril's, but I honestly didn't think it was that great.  Just like Port of Call.... I mean, the burger was good, but it wasn't THE BEST EVUR.

I know I've been to more places, but I am drawing such blanks I must've just drank my way through meals in NOLA.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Also, @MissKittyDanger, be careful of peanuts/other nuts too.  MIL has Diverticulitis and peanuts/pecans were her biggest issues.  Glad to hear you're feeling better.  Tummy troubles are the worst.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• 6fsn said:

For M's penne pasta with tomatoes, couldn't he just use the outer part of the tomato without the seeds?

I'm a speshul snowflake who doesn't care for all the "runny" inside part of a tomato and just uses the outer part for salads, pastas, etc.

Oh!  You probably mean the sauce.  That just blew my mind thinking about all the things that have tomato sauce.  Now I'm extra bummed for you :(.

It's canned whole tomatoes. I told him to blend extra. General conversation
    M: I can't make my penne anymore
    Me: why not?
    M: tomatoes ... seeds ... *points at stomach*
    Me: LIKE HELL I AM GIVING UP THAT FOOD
    M: we're not spending another 16hrs in emerg just for you to have food
    Me: *dramatically lies back* I'll die without the penne. Just blend it twice as much! It's pretty much mush afterwards :)
    M: I am not doing this ...
    Me: YES YOU ARE! I HAVE TO GIVE UP OTHER THINGS AND I REFUSE TO GIVE THIS UP!!
  • Also, @MissKittyDanger, be careful of peanuts/other nuts too.  MIL has Diverticulitis and peanuts/pecans were her biggest issues.  Glad to hear you're feeling better.  Tummy troubles are the worst.
    Really? Never heard of nuts! Did your MIL say why nuts? My dr only mentioned about seeds ... but I guess if they're small enough ...

DAMMIT!! This might actually kill me.
  • Pretty good weekend. Went shopping and had lunch with some girlfriends on Saturday. Was super proud of myself for staying on the Whole30 at lunch. Yesterday just did stuff around the house. I've been loving my FitBit - it is a game with me to be sure to get all my activity in everyday. H says he created a monster LOL. Hopefully it will help me reach my weight loss goal.
  • Y'all listed the ones that I like too. To be honest, they have so many new restaurants that have opened since I left. I try to go to new ones when I come home.
    Really? Never heard of nuts! Did your MIL say why nuts? My dr only mentioned about seeds ... but I guess if they're small enough ...

Atomic is right about the nuts. My grandma has diverticulitis. She can't eat lettuce or broccoli either :( I really hate this for you!

Atomic is right about the nuts. My grandma has diverticulitis. She can't eat lettuce or broccoli either :( I really hate this for you!
    *dramatically falls on floor* My life. Is over.

Holy crap, I can't believe I forgot about Jacques Imo's!  That was the first restaurant I ever went to Uptown.  Acme Oysterhouse was the first restaurant I ever ate at in NOLA..... imagine, walking down Bourbon St at age 17 with your father because you were looking at colleges in the city and the school admin told you that the most expensive hotel in the French Quarter was the most convenient one to Uptown...

Everyone raves about Emeril's, but I honestly didn't think it was that great.  Just like Port of Call.... I mean, the burger was good, but it wasn't THE BEST EVUR.

I know I've been to more places, but I am drawing such blanks I must've just drank my way through meals in NOLA.

First bolded:  Hmmm...interesting.  Can someone say, "kickbacks"?  But no, that wouldn't happen in NOLA (sarcasm)!  Never here, LMAO.

Second bolded: I'm with you.  I know a lot of people swear by Emeril's...and I do like his Delmonico restaurant (as mentioned)...but I had a really bad experience at his flagship restaurant.  Bad service and the food wasn't very good.  Agree about Port of Call also.  I like the place.  Good food, fun atmosphere.  But people get fanatical about the burgers when, really, it's more they're a good portion size and you can choose a baked potato instead of fries.

Speaking of drinking one's way through a meal.  I have a bad story about Port of Call, lol.  You know how people tell "worst date ever" stories?  I WAS someone's worst date ever.  And we had dinner at Port of Call.  Let's just say two glasses of wine with a bit of cheese for 90 minutes at the first bar...did not mix well with a big ole' fruity drink cocktail and a burger at Port of Call.  I just appreciate he didn't abandon me while I was puking my guts out in the bathroom for 20+ minutes.  Ugh, I just can't imagine why he never called me again, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone, these suggestions are fantastic! I plan on eating all the food.