Wedding Etiquette Forum

An FMIL, a bride, and a mushroom.

2»

Re: An FMIL, a bride, and a mushroom.

• For the OP I too have a serious Mushroom allergy.  So I feel your pain. I have the same reaction to mushrooms as others do to peanuts. It is bad enough for an Epi Pen. I am glad that it has worked out for you. For my FH and I we have had to change caterers all together twice because of mushrooms. Just know that you are not alone, and I too feel your pain. 
  • What kind of mushroom dish would it be?

Meaning, would it be evident that there were mushrooms in your food before you took a bite?
    She just wants a mushroom dish, she wasn't specific. I don't only get sick from eating a whole mushroom though, I have a reaction when there's a mushroom-based sauce, or even when one has touched my food.
    Then your FI needs to tell his mother she needs to find a way to survive a single meal without mushrooms, because he doesn't want his wife having an allergic reaction on her wedding day.

I doubt your caterers will want to prepare any dishes with mushrooms anyways, bc they won't want to risk cross contamination issues and making you ill.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• klj1122klj1122 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2017
    lyndausvi said:

Wow! That's really quite silly of her. Shall we blame the non-celiac gluten haters for nobody understanding what an "allergy" is anymore? ;)
    yep.

and any other uneducated bandwagoner out there.  They ruin it for the true allergic people out there. 
    Wow. Just wow. Sorry to threadjack here, but this is ignorant and insulting.

- Diagnosis of celiac disease is pathetically late. It's not diagnosed until a biopsy indicates that your  intestines have been shredded down to nothing. That would be like diagnosing type 2 diabetes only after you went blind and had a foot amputated. If you think rubber-stamp-from-the-doctor celiacs are the only people worthy of care about wheat products, please further educate yourself. https://chriskresser.com/3-reasons-gluten-intolerance-may-be-more-serious-than-celiac-disease/  Maybe some of us don't care to wait that long and eat gluten-free to avoid said state of affairs.

- The blood testing is not very reliable. If someone is on a gluten-free diet, as I have been for the last 8 years, blood tests will show up negative no matter what. If I wanted to have an accurate blood test, I'd have to resume eating gluten for a MONTH. That's a month of diarrhea, arthritis, psychological symptoms, and likely permanent damage to my gut. Seeing as the only treatment is a gluten-free diet anyway, why bother pursuing the diagnosis? It would be a total train-wreck just to satisfy my curiosity. This is why so many of us "non-celiac gluten haters" have no formal diagnosis. It's not so that we can make your restaurant experiences less happy. No one's trying to tear the bread out of your hands. 

Sure, anaphylactic shock is pretty horrifying, but you don't get to dictate that anyone who has a "less serious" problem should just shut up and tolerate their health problems just because it probably won't cause instant death. 
  • klj1122 said:
    lyndausvi said:

Wow! That's really quite silly of her. Shall we blame the non-celiac gluten haters for nobody understanding what an "allergy" is anymore? ;)
    yep.

and any other uneducated bandwagoner out there.  They ruin it for the true allergic people out there. 

- Diagnosis of celiac disease is pathetically late. It's not diagnosed until a biopsy indicates that your  intestines have been shredded down to nothing. That would be like diagnosing type 2 diabetes only after you went blind and had a foot amputated. If you think rubber-stamp-from-the-doctor celiacs are the only people worthy of care about wheat products, please further educate yourself. https://chriskresser.com/3-reasons-gluten-intolerance-may-be-more-serious-than-celiac-disease/  Maybe some of us don't care to wait that long and eat gluten-free to avoid said state of affairs.

- The blood testing is not very reliable. If someone is on a gluten-free diet, as I have been for the last 8 years, blood tests will show up negative no matter what. If I wanted to have an accurate blood test, I'd have to resume eating gluten for a MONTH. That's a month of diarrhea, arthritis, psychological symptoms, and likely permanent damage to my gut. Seeing as the only treatment is a gluten-free diet anyway, why bother pursuing the diagnosis? It would be a total train-wreck just to satisfy my curiosity. This is why so many of us "non-celiac gluten haters" have no formal diagnosis. It's not so that we can make your restaurant experiences less happy. No one's trying to tear the bread out of your hands. 

Sure, anaphylactic shock is pretty horrifying, but you don't get to dictate that anyone who has a "less serious" problem should just shut up and tolerate their health problems just because it probably won't cause instant death. 
    I think you're taking this way too personally. I don't want to speak for lynda or spock, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about people who don't eat gluten because it's "not healthy" or not good for dieting. They didn't seem to be talking about people who aren't formally diagnosed with celiac, but still have serious health issues when they eat gluten.
    This.  

I think they were referring to people like the woman I heard at a garage sale explaining that she was selling her waffle maker "because I am trying to cut gluten out of my diet.  I hear it's really healthy and helps you lose weight."  Right.

No one should blame you for going gluten free if it is causing you to be sick.  But people like you are are far outweighed by the lady I just described.

• klj1122 said:
    lyndausvi said:

yep.

I think you're taking this way too personally. I don't want to speak for lynda or spock, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about people who don't eat gluten because it's "not healthy" or not good for dieting. They didn't seem to be talking about people who aren't formally diagnosed with celiac, but still have serious health issues when they eat gluten.
    Ditto.

There's a big difference between knowing that you have a major intolerance and just haven't had the painful diagnosis vs. following a fad because you think it'll get you ready for swimsuit season.

• For ladies that have been through this part of the planning process and may have dealt with allergies, is there a way for a caterer to accommodate her without even a chance of cross-contamination?

I have an anaphylactic allergy to shellfish and it was an absolute no at my wedding. I'm fine with taking chances on a regular day, but not my wedding day. Any caterer that says they can 100% guarantee this would be lying. I never expect someone preparing food to be that careful. Heck, the dishwasher could have malfunctioned and something from a function the previous day could contaminate my meal. I wouldn't risk it.
  • CMGragain said:
    I do know people who claim to have allergies to food that they simply do not like.  These people are doing a serious disservice to people who really do have life threatening allergies.
    OK, I hate mustard and pickled beets, but I would never claim to be allergic to them, and I will eat them if I really must, to be polite.
    Anyone who was ever a teacher knows about the no-peanut butter table in the lunchroom.  Food allergies are very real, and can be very dangerous!

So true! It's ridiculous how far people will go to ensure their preferences. I used to work at a restaurant, and it frequently happened that people would claim allergies that would alter our whole cooking process in the back (from pans used, ingredients, specialized gloves etc.), only to hear someone at the table later say something about the person not actually having allergies, but just disliking an ingredient. I even had customers admit to me after the meal that they are not actually allergic to what they claimed they were.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• So true! It's ridiculous how far people will go to ensure their preferences. I used to work at a restaurant, and it frequently happened that people would claim allergies that would alter our whole cooking process in the back (from pans used, ingredients, specialized gloves etc.), only to hear someone at the table later say something about the person not actually having allergies, but just disliking an ingredient. I even had customers admit to me after the meal that they are not actually allergic to what they claimed they were.
    That is super shitty!
    Years ago, my boyfriend and I went to a sushi restaurant. I was just starting to like sushi and he'd never had it due to a shellfish allergy (pretty mild). So he called ahead to the restaurant to see if he could have vegetarian sushi made separately and they said yes. 
    So we got to the restaurant and the chef actually ended up coming out and asking him about cross contamination and gloves and whatnot and we felt like assholes for putting him out. (And in the end boyfriend had no allergic reaction so there's that.) I would never claim allergy if I didn't actually have one! 

• People make up allergies to foods without allergic reactions too.  At a gala I worked a few years ago, a guest sent a dish back due to a pea allergy.  People apparently don't realize that chefs go to school and spend a lot of time learning about allergies and cross contamination and food safety and know what foods are problematic and which aren't.

At the end of the day, all of those people just make it more difficult for people who truly do have health problems.  They suck.
  • I'm reminded of a story I think I've told before.  We attending a wedding with friends a few years back.  The wife of one friend cornered the waiter at dinner to explain that she was allergic to butter and oil.  She could only eat steamed veggies and chicken breast with nothing on it or she'd become very ill.  The poor waiters and kitchen staff ran around to accommodate this crazy allergy.  She started drinking with dinner and by dessert she was stuffing her face with every pastry and treat from the Viennese table.  No allergy, she is just a fitness model who doesn't really have much in the way of self control once vodka is introduced to the equation.  If those waiters saw her during dessert, I hope they were annoyed!

Personally, I can't eat shrimp or coconut oil.  Shrimp gives me "tummy troubles" and coconut oil makes me vomit.  If I go to restaurants and want a dish that may have shrimp, I just ask if it can be made without.  If the server responds by asking if I have an allergy I say no I just don't like them, because I don't want them going crazy in the kitchen when it's not that serious.

• kaos16 said:

I'm reminded of a story I think I've told before.  We attending a wedding with friends a few years back.  The wife of one friend cornered the waiter at dinner to explain that she was allergic to butter and oil.  She could only eat steamed veggies and chicken breast with nothing on it or she'd become very ill.  The poor waiters and kitchen staff ran around to accommodate this crazy allergy.  She started drinking with dinner and by dessert she was stuffing her face with every pastry and treat from the Viennese table.  No allergy, she is just a fitness model who doesn't really have much in the way of self control once vodka is introduced to the equation.  If those waiters saw her during dessert, I hope they were annoyed!

Personally, I can't eat shrimp or coconut oil.  Shrimp gives me "tummy troubles" and coconut oil makes me vomit.  If I go to restaurants and want a dish that may have shrimp, I just ask if it can be made without.  If the server responds by asking if I have an allergy I say no I just don't like them, because I don't want them going crazy in the kitchen when it's not that serious.

Your reaction to coconut oil reminds me of H's reaction to whole-bodied shellfish.  For our anniversary, we ate at a fancy restaurant where they ask in advance if you have any dietary restrictions/requirements, and I always remember to say what I don't eat but it's like an afterthought to say "Oh yea, and if H eats clams he vomits instantly."  Doesn't get hives, doesn't restrict his airway, just pukes it straight back up.  He still likes them though, so every once in a while he'll get adventurous and try one.  I try not to sit across from him if he does this.
  • lyndausvi said:
    klj1122 said:
    lyndausvi said:

yep.

Try working in the restaurant industry.  On a daily basis I get shit like this:

Is your tuna vegan?

I'm dairy free, does your Creamy Tomato Basil have dairy?  Yes (wondering why creamy didn't give it away).  Well that will be okay.

I'm gluten free.  I point them to the gluten free soup.  Then they put croutons on their bowl.

Is the chicken noodle GF?   No.  Well, the noodles will be okay.

I'm vegan, but eat fish.

does this have mushrooms, I'm allergic? Sorry, yes.  Well, I'm not really allergic, I just don't like them, I will pick them out.

The list goes on and on.  That is why I specifically said, "uneducated bandwagoners".  Those are the people who hop on a bandwagon without educating themselves what it actually means.   Then come into a food establishment and make our lives difficult.

I happily accommodate people's dietary restrictions.  Everyday I go back to the kitchen to get something special for someone who has a restriction if possible (I work in cafeteria/station type place, so it's harder for us.)   However, if you are going to ask me stupid questions and/or prove you don't actually have an issue, yep I'm going to judge the shit out of you.

And yes, there are lot of those types of people (maybe more than people with true issues) and it does ruin it for the people who have real issues.

My BIL said for years that he was allergic to chocolate. I always refrained from having a chocolate dessert when he was visiting. After years (probably close to 20) I found out that he just doesn't like chocolate. Well then I started fixing chocolate desserts and said the heck with him! If he had just told the truth I would've had options from the get go.
    Ohhhhhhh! Those would have been fighting words ;). "You're telling me all this time, I could have had CHOCOLATE!?!?!".

My grandpa also doesn't like chocolate things (except for squares of chocolate- very strange, I know), so we always have vanilla cake if there is cake. But at least we know the options.