Wedding Woes

Best Recipe for an Icy, Cold Day

Soup is a staple in our house.  Or anything that can be made in a crock pot.  Basically, if I can throw everything into a pot and let it simmer, it's a winner.  

What is your go-to soup (or crock pot) recipe when it gets cold?  I will start.  Besides chili (my recipe is written in chicken scratch on a half sheet of paper) this is my favorite. Since I'm from NM, I add green chile to give it a kick.  I always make a double batch because it doesn't last long (and it takes some time to prepare).  But it's sooo good.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-potato-soup/

Re: Best Recipe for an Icy, Cold Day

• I love this one
    http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/slow-cooker-sweet-potato-chicken-and-quinoa-soup/

There's another one I do with polish sausage, spicy sausage, and a ton of different beans.
  • @6fsn that looks great.  I am going to add it to my list to try.  I like recipes where I can use canned foods so that's awesome!

• I'm gonna try the potatoe soup next week :)
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    These are my favorite two recipes

Beef Stew

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25678/beef-stew-vi/

Personal Annotations/Differences from website recipe: Used fresh rosemary and thyme, and added 2 bay leaves to the beef and broth to simmer along with 4 cloves of minced garlic. Cut beef into cubes and then coated with 1/4 cup flour and 1 tsp onion and garlic powder and 1/4 tsp black pepper in a ziplock bag prior to browning. Also used 3/4 cup red wine to deglaze the pan and used much more than the 4 cups beef broth (in lieu of the beef boullion). I also needed much more than the recommended cornstarch.

Cheesy Potato Soup

This one is kind of from memory, so I apologize if it's off.  I'll try to remember to come back later and edit once I get to the house and look at the cook book. **EDITED to correct amount of celery.  I still use almost 1/2 cup though.  I also fixed the directions***

1/4 cup celery, chopped
    1/2 cup carrot, shredded
    1 cup potato, peeled and diced
    1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
    1 3/4 cup chicken broth
    1 3/4 cup cream
    1 3/4 cup sharp cheddar (this is bullshit, use way more than this, lol)
    3 TBS cornstarch

Combine both, potatoes, carrots, onions and celery.  Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat.  Cover and simmer about ten minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.  Using the back of a fork, slightly mash the potatoes against the side of the saucepan. In separate small bowl, mix 1/4 cup of cold cream with the cornstarch, then slowly whisk into the pot.  Add the rest of the cream slowly and whisk until thickened.  Cook for 1 minute, then add the cheese.  I think I add like three times the amount of cheese recommended, but no one ever complains. lol. I use a mix of sharp and medium, with a little extra sharp thrown in.  It's a favorite and always gets requested when I have people over.  I serve it with biscuits and Trader Joe's Pumpkin butter.  

ETA: For those of you who are trying to be healthy, here is the skinny version, which is actually the official recipe from Healthy Homestyle Cooking.  I ruined this recipe with all of the creamy, cheesy glory above. lol.  I'm all about the unhealthy version that I make, but this one is pretty decent. 

1 3/4 cup chicken broth, defatted
    1 cup potatoes, peeled and diced 
    1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
    1/4 cup chopped onions
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    1 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
    3 TBS cornstarch
    1/2 cup finely shredded fat free cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup finely shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese

Directions: Same as above. 

• I love how everyone here are foodies <3
  • @levioosa Anything with that much cheese is heaven for me.  :)

• I wish I could contribute! I love to cook, but DH is totally opposed to soups. I am reading this, though, and taking notes for nights when he isn't here :)

• http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-chicken---broccoli-stew

This is is one of my favorite soups. The Italian dressing gives it a really unique and delicious flavor. I've actually never made it in a crockpot, although the recipe is specifically written for a crockpot. :p 
  • @levioosa, I am definitely going to try the potato soup recipe, but with vegetable broth!
  • I wish I could contribute! I love to cook, but DH is totally opposed to soups. I am reading this, though, and taking notes for nights when he isn't here :)
    What? How can one be opposed to soups?
  • I forget to make soup because I forget homemade soup is awesome...because my parents canNOT make soup.
    It's awful.  I swear, I have told people to run away when my parents offer soup.
    The Mr. has forgotten a few times and has regretted it every time.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    My kids still call this recipe "Dreaded casserole", but we like it.

Dreaded

potatoes - peeled and sliced, enough to cover the bottom of a pyrex baking dish.
    onion - one half, sliced and diced.
    ham - cut into cubes.  I use about two hand fulls of leftover ham.  I never actually measured it.

Mix the above together in a greased pyrex baking dish.  For just the two of us, I use a square 9 X 9.  Cover with about 3/4 cup of white sauce.  Seal with aluminum foil and bake 50 minutes at 350.  Remove foil, and place cheese (Velveeta works, taco cheese is good, too.) on top of casserole.  Bake ten more minutes, uncovered.

White sauce - 3/4 cup milk, 2 tablespoons flour, one tablespoon butter or margarine, salt and pepper to taste.  Optional spices are basil or chives.  Stir ingredients together in small saucepan while cold, then gradually heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until just reaching the boiling point.  The sauce will thicken just before it boils.  A wire whisk makes this easier.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    That would be a deal breaker in my house LOL! Maybe he'll change his mind over time. There is nothing better than soup on a cold day.
  • Not a soup, but this recipe is really easy to make AND insanely yummy. We are having it for dinner tonight before the Pats game and I'm So. Freaking. Excited!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cajun-chicken-fettuccine

And its it's perfect for chilly weather. 
  • Make stuffing (either homemade or boxed). Form into small balls and set aside. Cut uncooked bacon strips in half. Fold the half strips of bacon around stuffing balls, secure with toothpick and bake in oven at 375 for 20-30 minutes until bacon is becoming crispy. Designed as a side dish ... but I could just sit down with a bowl of these and call it a meal.
  • ernursej said:
    Make stuffing (either homemade or boxed). Form into small balls and set aside. Cut uncooked bacon strips in half. Fold the half strips of bacon around stuffing balls, secure with toothpick and bake in oven at 375 for 20-30 minutes until bacon is becoming crispy. Designed as a side dish ... but I could just sit down with a bowl of these and call it a meal.
     :o:o:o:o:o:o  Must try these!!!!
  • downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2017
    http://www.emilybites.com/2015/12/slow-cooker-beef-and-barley-soup.html

http://slowcookergourmet.net/slow-cooker-buffalo-chicken-chili/

Two favorites of mine. Pretty much any kind of homemade soup (I also have some amazing recipes I got from my mom) is a must-have for me this time of year...it's one of the only things I like about winter! 
  • I'm making this one tomorrow:

http://www.cookingclassy.com/creamy-chicken-corn-chowder/

It's one of my new favorites since I found it a few months ago.  I also add a couple of cans of creamed corn to up the corn-y goodness and contribute the the chowder-y texture.  Then I top with sharp cheddar as well as the bacon and green onions.  Love in a bowl!
  • edited January 2017
    I wish I could contribute! I love to cook, but DH is totally opposed to soups. I am reading this, though, and taking notes for nights when he isn't here :)
    Lol. He says they "aren't filling enough" as though all soups are just broth with a few veggies. He even says that about chili, which is ridiculously filling! He's crazy. Lol. 

And i I totally agree @ILoveBeachMusic. I'm hoping he will change!!

eta words

• scribe95 said:
    I have a great chicken and noodles crock pot recipe. It's pretty middle-America but happy to share if interested.
    Chicken and noodles is one thing I miss since becoming a pescetarian.
  • scribe95 said:
    I have a great chicken and noodles crock pot recipe. It's pretty middle-America but happy to share if interested.
    I would definitely be interested! Chicken and noodles are two of my biggest cravings right now.
    I'm not a big soup fan either.  Not completely opposed (just had some for dinner last night), but not my go to food either.   I never make homemade soup because I would never eat it all.  It's canned or from a restaurant.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • scribe95 said:
    Please do! :)
  • If i'm doing french onion soup or mushroom soup, it's Julia Child's recipe (although I usually amp up the qty of veggies - especially with the onions - i use upwards of 5-6lbs for a double batch of french onion). I also double or triple the recipe so basically make a full stockpot. 

Chili is crockpot - i use beans, so not traditional with just meat, but it's really hearty. Pre-soak beans (boil 15 min in salted water then soak for at least an hour) - i use a mix of pinto and black. Canned diced tomatoes (usually ~45-60oz), chopped fresh veggies - red, yellow, green peppers, red onion, jalapenos, tons of spice (cumin, coriander, chili powder, crushed red pepper, cayanne pepper, salt, black bepper, and fresh cilantro), and meat (usually very lean beef or turkey).  i spice and brown the meat with some minced garlic, throw it in the pot , add beans, veggies, spices, then tomatoes. mix well and cook in the crockpot for a solid 7-8+ hours. 

chicken noodle soup - i use a mix or dark and light meat, at least some bone-in for flavor. also do a full stock pot. use around 6-8lbs of chicken, season with salt, pepper, garlic, brown it in the stock pot with some evoo, chopped fresh parsley, celery heart/greens and onion, then add enough chicken stock (or water) to cover the meat and boil it until it's falling off the bones. Take all of the meat out of the pot and removed the bones/cartilage/skin, shred the meat and put it back in with rough chopped carrots, celery, onion and baby bella mushrooms, add more stock (or water) to cover and cook it until the veggies soften up - about 20-30minutes. add fresh baby spinach to wilt, adjust seasoning,and then serve with egg noodles. This freezes really well, so i just make some noodles while i defrost the rest of the soup. 

i made chicken and biscuits tonight - although it was in the 70s here. similar start to the chicken soup, but when you remove the chicken to shred, thicken the broth with some flour to make more of a gravy. use tall corningware or glass crock - use some non-stick spray around sides. add shredded chicken to bottom, mix in the thinner gravy, then put uncooked biscuits on top. (i use bisquick's standard recipe). bake at 400-450 until biscuits rise and brown on top (~20 minutes at 400 deg). it was a hit with the kid. 
  • Does anyone here know how to make dumplings for stew? I was thickening up the sauce last night, and made flour dumplings {they aren't cooked. they're legit just flour balls lmao}

I have no idea how to make them and didn't realize how much I missed/wanted them until last night :(
  • @downtondiva - Buffalo chicken dip is my everything.  I am going to try your soup recipe this week.  

@SaintPaulGal - that looks incredible!  I need to try that ASAP.  

@scribe95  - please post your recipe!  Is it a chicken noodle soup type dish?  I don't have a good recipe but I love chicken. The one that @*Barbie* posted looks good, too!

• Does anyone here know how to make dumplings for stew? I was thickening up the sauce last night, and made flour dumplings {they aren't cooked. they're legit just flour balls lmao}

I have no idea how to make them and didn't realize how much I missed/wanted them until last night :(
    Try this one:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/allrecipes.com/recipe/11793/german-spaetzle-dumplings/amp/?client=safari

Make Matzo balls, they're easier and tastier.