Wedding Woes

Monday!

How was the weekend?  Who has the day off?   The kids are home and hanging out today.  

Our weekend was great.  Nephew's first bday was a smashing success.  I just love him so darn much.  He's so chatty and animated.  Plus he gives great snuggles.  :) 

Yesterday was such a lazy day and it was perfect.  Yeah, we didn't clean that much...but oh well. 

Re: Monday!

• I'm not off work either.  I see how my post makes it sound like I do, but I'm not that lucky.  ;) 
  • I also do not have today off. The plus side is that my 14.7-mile commute which normally takes an hour+ only took 25 minutes today. Hooray!

The office is a ghost town, however. Everyone seems to have gone north for skiing. I have to get a draft out this afternoon, but other than that I am in slow motion. I am exhausted and nauseous and chilly. And whiny apparently.  :p
  • No day off here either.  

Saturday we did Christmas with DH's family and then watched to watch a local cancer telethon live for a few hours.  

Sunday we hung out at home and then watched the Packers squeak it out over the Cowboys.  We had a late supper and I caught up with a friend on the phone.

Back at it today with some nasty wintery mix moving into our area today.  DH is on the road and took an extra run after his normal shift so he'll be home later than usual.  I have laundry and the dvr calling my name.  
  • DH and I are working today and the 1st grader is in daycare all day with her little bro.

The weekend was busy.   Saturday Chiquita had an overnight with my IL's and DH took the little guy to a birthday party while I took down the Christmas tree ornaments and other holiday decorations.   I ran to BJ's and when I came back we completed the tree dismantling.   My house looks sad.   

Sunday we had a Christmas celebration at my parents' with my aunt and uncle and cousins and then got back late.   I think I need to be really good to DH today.   I think the business wore him out.  
  • I was off Friday, because our governor declared a state of emergency Thursday afternoon for an ice storm that was expected to hit Friday. Daycare closed based on that information, then there was no ice storm in our area. I burned a day of vacation (which is my first week of maternity leave) for nothing, but Mouse and I had a good day at home together. 

His daycare is closed again today for "Professional Development Day" so my MIL is at my house watching him. This should be interesting since she's spent about 8 hours alone with him in 11 months spread out over 3 visits. I'm 12 minutes from home if anything goes south, though. 
  • I took today off and I'm still lounging in bed.

We got back from Charleston last night. It was a great trip.  Twiggy is yammering at me to get up and feed him, so I guess it's time to start my chores.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I'm at work but I'm not supposed to be.

The old company had two "floating holidays" that could be used whenever we wanted throughout the year at our own discretion.  The company that bought us has paid holidays on MLK Day and one other (can't remember which, maybe it was the day after Thanksgiving?) and no floaters.  We only found out about the day off mid last week, and this is the day the new General Manager is starting plus the designer is coming to start planning (yet another) renovation and the capital group that owns us is here.  Suffice it to say that it's not a good day to be off.  Anyhow, the powers that be said we were free to take today if needed but it would be preferred to come in and then take off a different day this week.  So I'll be off Friday at random, which will be nice since the weather then is supposed to be crazy warm (45! In Minnesota!  In January!)

The weekend was good.  Jam packed with so much social interaction, since FI was feeling deprived during our trip.  I'm an extrovert myself, but I'm feeling due for a quiet night at home soon.  I did a bunch of cooking on our new stove, which I am exceedingly fond of!  Still need to get to know the oven, though, since it has different peculiarities than the last one.
  • Not hugely busy this weekend.

Friday .... I have no idea. I am completely blanking lmao. Probably nothing then. I know I crashed early ...

Saturday my mum and I headed to the mall. She knows I'm slow and have to sit a lot since I'm still healing {this is taking for-fucking-ever!} but I may have moved more than anticipated. Definitely more than I have in awhile, so I had to take it easy in the evening.
    That evening we headed to a friend's place, and I sat for most of the time. Ended up playing a weird card game with a buddy of mine. We didn't do too bad. Perfect score is 25 and we got up to 18 {which he said wasn't bad for first time playing lol!}
    It's like solitaire mixed with memory game. Hard to explain without writing a novel lmao!

Sunday was mostly cleaning. M wanted to hit Cabela's in the afternoon, so we were there for a bit. Vacuuming {both levels!}, brought xmas stuff to the basement, dishwasher ran and laundry done.
    I didn't get around to doing the non-dishwasher stuff or cleaning the counters {that really need to be done ....}

Tonight M is suppose to sweep the basement, and I wanna clear off the dining room table. I started setting up new laptop, then realized it wasn't plugged in because power bar was still with my old laptop .... so that's half why I wanna tidy it.

I've been looking at home decor things for spring to change up the front hall shelf. I was going to buy a jar and flowers at the dollarama, then realized I have a jar {cleaned out container from B&BW candle! great ideas!} I'm hoping spring will bring crafty part of me ;)
  • Heffalump said:
    Also, the upcoming inauguration is depressing me, y'all.  It's like, this is actually happening, for real.  UGH.
    I just watched the first episode of The Young Pope and the parallels to what's going on now are frightening.  Great concept of a show, but kind of scary at the same time.  ;) 
  • Good morning!!!

I have off today, but not because of the holiday.    We are about to head to Denver for a director's (and their SOs) outing from the club.  We are going to a Nuggets/Magic game and staying the night.

Work is still going well.  I just got a raise, so I'm happy about that.  Yesterday was the start of Gay Ski Week, which is always a good time around there.  Add in MLK Jr holiday and well, we were rocking this past weekend.

My mom is in the hospital.  She has a UTI, kidney infection AND Ecoli.     She is in isolation for 7 days.    My sister said she looks much better now they know what meds to give her.    Luckily the strain she has isn't that contagious.   My dad didn't need to be tested.  They only have to bleach down the bathrooms and sanitize the bed sheets.     My mom has RA pretty bad, her meds lower her immune system, so for her it's worse than the average person.

Hope everyone has a good week.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yikes, @lyndausvi! Mega healing vibes for your mom!!!
  • @lyndausvi  scary! Glad they figured out the issue and she's not contagious :) vibes for healing!
  • Your poor mom, @lyndausvi!  I hope that she continues healing and her RA doesn't flare too bad due to all of that.  :( 
  • Wow, that's quite a combo, @lyndausvi!  Hope your mom is feeling better soon.
  • @lyndausvi, yikes!  I also hope your mom is feeling better as soon as possible.

Friday -- worked a half day, then lunch with @charlotte989875 (glad you enjoyed your trip here!).  We somehow each made it through an enormous and delicious Shrimp Remoulade salad.

Saturday -- my p/t pic job with H.  My car's battery totally died toward the end of it.  That was an unexpected 2 hours out of my day and $210 out of my wallet.  My car insurance has roadside service, they jumped my car, and then I was able to drive it to a Firestone where they switched the battery out.

Sunday -- Cleaned up around the house a bit, but it was mostly a lazy day.

Today -- I was assigned a new, regular task at work.  In these insecure times at my job, I'm grateful for every shred that makes me valuable, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Heffalump, I just can't with the inauguration.  [deleted big explanation of why to just say "goddamit"].

Weekend was nice.  Caught up on housework this weekend.  Read a lot of books and comics.  The office had closed on Friday b/c of the incoming ice storm, which thankfully turned out to be not bad at all, though we did still have quite a few houses with loss of power.
  • @lyndausvi, T&P for your mom's quick and uneventful recovery!

Busy weekend here. Two retirement parties and a dinner - lots of food at all 3. The dinner was really great because H's coworkers are from a variety of ethnic groups so they brought food reflecting their heritages. Yummy!!!
  • Sending lots of healing vibes to your mom, @lyndausvi!

I'm off today, and FW starts school tomorrow. We're having a late lunch/early dinner with an old friend of mine, then coming home to do laundry and straighten up the house.
  • Suggestion for this week?

Since we already have Prudie on Thursdays, why don't we start "tbt" that isn't on Thursday!?

I got the idea because I found a bunch of photos from when I was 18/19 yrs old because of my new laptop. I signed into my hotmail and I forgot it's connected to "One Drive" - which was where I put a bunch of photos that weren't on MySpace since FB hadn't really made a splash yet. So while setting up my computer, I found my old photos lmao!
  • That's a great idea! Fun!
    I was giggling like crazy when I found the photos, so figured everyone else would enjoy strolling down memory lane :smile:
    I was giggling like crazy when I found the photos, so figured everyone else would enjoy strolling down memory lane :smile:
    I'm not sure why but you saying strolling reminded me of my old co-worker who didn't sCroll with the mouse, she sTrolled with it. As in, "So if I just stroll down the page..."
  • Heffalump said:

ETA:@Heffalump it is so wrong to inaugurate *that* man at the end of the same week that celebrates MLK Jr.
    Right???  He tweets that John Lewis is "All talk, talk, talk - no action or results. Sad!"  Except for, you know,
    1. Chairman of SNCC (which I have no doubt Trump does not know what that is)
    2. Helped organize the 1963 March on Washington
    3. Recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
    4. Coordinated Freedom Summer
    5. Had his skull broken on Bloody Sunday

This man was attacked not 20 miles from where I sit right now, for the sole reason of entering a Whites Only waiting room at a bus station.  He was jailed for over a month after working to integrate interstate bus service.  I have zero respect for someone who calls that "all talk and no action." 

Oh, and BTW, per Wikipedia, "He has dropped below 70 percent of the vote only once."  Who lost the popular vote 46% to 48%, again?  Sorry, someone in this scenario is "sad!" but it sure ain't John Lewis.
    Even Bill Kristol criticized Trump on this one and said basically that it is very telling that our PEOTUS shows Putin more respect than he shows John Lewis.