Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

dlt thread

Re: dlt thread

• Options
    Wish OP didn't delete the original post.
  • Options
    The moment you invite guests, the wedding stops being only about you.  If you want the day only about you, elope and invite no one.  The sister should have gotten a "Plus-one" at the minimum.  You and your FI are turning this into a hill to die on when it doesn't need to be.  The decent thing to do is invite the new BF, one extra person is not going to make or break your intimate wedding, but it does have the power to create rifts that can/will last decades down the road.  How do you know that this person isn't the one who will change her life for the better and stop enabling the negative behaviors of the past?  It's not about "It's your wedding do what you want" nor "watch the world burn", sometimes it's about being a decent human being. 
  • Options
    debbeau said:

Yes.  Straight-up newb move, from someone who's been around long enough to know better.

OP, I'm glad you are listening to reason.  My life has been a lot easier since I decided not to worry so much about what other people are up to, and to focus on tending my own garden.  You don't need other people's stress and drama.  I honestly can't remember a time when I've regretted doing the right thing, even if I initially had "reasons" why I didn't want to.

And in general, I don't understand this "OMG, we don't even know this guest" attitude.  Like, do you not encounter people you don't know virtually every day of your life?  It's not that traumatic: "hello, nice to meet you, thanks for coming," and BOOM, you're on to the next one.  It's not like you have to tongue kiss them.  And I say this as an introvert, who is generally not "Yay, strangers!"  If I can do it, so can (general) you.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I deleted the post because I got the answers I needed. If there was an option to delete the thread, I would've. Thx everyone.

• Options
    I deleted the post because I got the answers I needed. If there was an option to delete the thread, I would've. Thx everyone.

You have been here long enough to know how rude that is and to know that other brides can learn from your rudeness. 
  • Options
    debbeau said:
    Wish our regs had quoted!!!

#epicfail
    Slackers!

My synopsis:  OP sent her invites in November for a late February wedding and didn't extend a plus one for her FSIL.  FSIL is a former druggie whore (OP's opinion) who had a child young and out of wedlock and therefore can't be trusted to make good relationship choices (again, OP's opinion).  She now has a boyfriend and said she won't come to the wedding unless he can come but OP and her FI said she was being a brat and said no.  Her plates are $80 each and she doesn't want to spend $160 feeding people she doesn't like.  Now FMIL is upset and she thinks her daughter should be allowed to bring her BF but OP and her FI are holding strong.
    Actually, they changed their minds after reading all the responses here and are inviting the BF. I don't understand the DD either.

I will say though, she said she sent the invitations out a month ago  and the wedding is in a month. That is just a little over 8 weeks before the wedding and people were fussing about it was way too early. I've seen people saying 8-10 weeks is more the norm now especially with a lot of OOT invites so I give her a pass on when she sent out the invites. Totally agree with inviting all SOs though.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    debbeau said:

#epicfail
    Slackers!

My synopsis:  OP sent her invites in November for a late February wedding and didn't extend a plus one for her FSIL.  FSIL is a former druggie whore (OP's opinion) who had a child young and out of wedlock and therefore can't be trusted to make good relationship choices (again, OP's opinion).  She now has a boyfriend and said she won't come to the wedding unless he can come but OP and her FI said she was being a brat and said no.  Her plates are $80 each and she doesn't want to spend $160 feeding people she doesn't like.  Now FMIL is upset and she thinks her daughter should be allowed to bring her BF but OP and her FI are holding strong.
    I think you're being a little rough about me calling her a whore. I never called her a whore. Now you're putting words in my mouth.

We only called her a brat after she began having a clear meltdown (any normal person would move on with their lives and figure, hey, maybe they are on a budget, atleast I would!) about us deciding that we didn't want an extra person at our wedding, especially someone we've never met. She did meet this guy a while after the invitations were sent neither of us KNEW this guy was in her life until the end of December beginning of January. Yes, they were sent early, but I confirmed with my wedding planner if this was okay, she said absolutely, since we have OOT and OOC guests.

I wanted to paint a picture of his sister, and maybe I was being rude about it and a little unfair, but this isn't something I've made up or exaggerated. For that I am ashamed. His whole family knows how she is. I've spoken with my FI last night about the whole situation and it was decided to let this poor guy come anyways, since it's just one person and I have nothing against him in particular.  Yes, I took the advice to free up the drama and not make us look like the people to blame at the wedding.

The ill feelings were toward the sister and it stems from the way she has treated us in the past (stolen from us and family, lied to both) and their constant forgiving and her never learning from her mistakes. My FI figured to take a stand and not let her get what she wanted. It was his original decision to do so, but last night I talked to him and we changed course to not stoop down to her level. 
  • Options
    ILoveBeachMusic said:
    Actually, they changed their minds after reading all the responses here and are inviting the BF. I don't understand the DD either.

I will say though, she said she sent the invitations out a month ago  and the wedding is in a month. That is just a little over 8 weeks before the wedding and people were fussing about it was way too early. I've seen people saying 8-10 weeks is more the norm now especially with a lot of OOT invites so I give her a pass on when she sent out the invites. Totally agree with inviting all SOs though.

Might I mention that we confirmed wedding invitation timeline with our wedding planner and she even urged us to do so. This isn't something we did out of the blue to inconvenience people, though.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

If you don't want people putting words in your mouth you shouldn't DD your posts. Then they're there for others to see and you won't have to come back to defend yourself.

You're confirming TheKnot members put words into other people's mouths then, essentially. I'm not defending myself, I figure I'd write it again so you people could move on with your lives, I even mentioned thank you and left but you can't let it die, so I figured, okay let me re-write it. I could care less about this forum and had no idea there were set rules for deleting posts!
  • Options

If you don't want people putting words in your mouth you shouldn't DD your posts. Then they're there for others to see and you won't have to come back to defend yourself.

You're confirming TheKnot members put words into other people's mouths then, essentially. I'm not defending myself, I figure I'd write it again so you people could move on with your lives, I even mentioned thank you and left but you can't let it die, so I figured, okay let me re-write it. I could care less about this forum and had no idea there were set rules for deleting posts!
    You didn't outright say she was a whore, but you insinuated heavily.
  • Options
    Mods, please lock this thread as it's not needed. The question was answered and we decided to go with what was recommended.
  • Options

Definitely not. The word did not even come up in my head. Thanks though for your feedback on this thread.
  • Options
    Mods, please lock this thread as it's not needed. The question was answered and we decided to go with what was recommended.
    It doesn't work that way. You deleting it, just draws even more attention to this thread because people see the DD and want to see the drama. 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    You said something about them "dating...well screwing." What were we to infer from that judgmental statement? 
    That it is a fling or flavor of the month (poor choice of words on my part though originally). Like I said, thanks for your feedback; it's not needed anymore. We decided on a decision! Thanks everyone!
  • Options

The synopsis after the DD is going to be someone's impression of what you said, and even if you didn't use those words, that's the perception you gave to a lot of posters on these boards.
  • Options
    Didn't you say your FMIL was very upset by the way you and your FI are treating his sister? 

Here's a piece of advice - don't start your marriage off like this. Stop judging your FSIL.  You'll only continue on this unnecessary drama. You'll do irreparable damage to your relationship with your in-laws. Your wedding is just ONE DAY. 
  • Options
    PolskaBlondynka I'm glad you changed your mind and still think it's to everyone's benefit.  Do you really want your wedding day to be used to teach people a lesson?  By doing that, you're giving FSIL way more weight into the day than by just giving in and I hope you realize that.

But you complained about the BF because FSIL dates, screws  a lot of people and you said you didn't want to pay for the flavor of the month.  You also inferred she could have a new BF by the time the wedding rolls in anyways.  Those were your words.  You were also very judgey about her having a child young and out of wedlock.  Where I'm from that equals calling someone a whore.   You don't like your FSIL and that is fine, but don't come back and act like I was harsh in my synopsis of what you said because I summed it up into one word.

@ilovebeachmusic, you were totally right, I was giving my first post synopsis but I see how it read like I ignored the most recent update
  • Options
    PolskaBlondynka said:
    I'm sorry, we cannot lock or delete threads simply because you do not like the direction they have taken or the advice given. Best advice is to stop posting and let this thread die a natural death, or PM @knotriley to delete your account.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Didn't you say your FMIL was very upset by the way you and your FI are treating his sister? 

Here's a piece of advice - don't start your marriage off like this. Stop judging your FSIL.  You'll only continue on this unnecessary drama. You'll do irreparable damage to your relationship with your in-laws. Your wedding is just ONE DAY. 
    So much this.

It's $160 bucks to feed two people at your wedding.   Is it worth standing up and being "right" to people over this??

Pick and choose your battles here.    Your FSIL can say to the family members at your wedding, "This is my BF Turd Ferguson!"   Or she can say, "I would have brought Turd but PolskaBolndynka said that he wasn't worthy of an invitation."

You have a lifetime ahead of you with this family.   Do you want to start it off this way?? 

• Options

Also said she had a baby and a month later she was with someone else not the father (listed as one of the things that was unsavory about the FSIL's behavior). 
  • Options
    And now she's deleted. 
  • Options
    debbeau said:

#epicfail
    Slackers!

I think you're being a little rough about me calling her a whore. I never called her a whore. Now you're putting words in my mouth.

We only called her a brat after she began having a clear meltdown (any normal person would move on with their lives and figure, hey, maybe they are on a budget, atleast I would!) about us deciding that we didn't want an extra person at our wedding, especially someone we've never met.

Not really.  A "normal" person might assume that you didn't budget correctly.  I'd be pissed off as well if my SO wasn't invited to my brother's wedding.

She did meet this guy a while after the invitations were sent neither of us KNEW this guy was in her life until the end of December beginning of January. Yes, they were sent early, but I confirmed with my wedding planner if this was okay, she said absolutely, since we have OOT and OOC guests.

1. Wedding Planners aren't necessarily fonts of correct wedding etiquette.  8-10 weeks is pretty reasonable to send out invitations, even if you have OOT guests.  If you have a ton of OOT guests then you should have used STDs.

2. The fact that your FI and you didn't know his sister had an SO is on you two.  Your FI should have talked to his sister prior to the invitations going out, then this entire situation would have been avoided.

I wanted to paint a picture of his sister, and maybe I was being rude about it and a little unfair, but this isn't something I've made up or exaggerated. For that I am ashamed. His whole family knows how she is. I've spoken with my FI last night about the whole situation and it was decided to let this poor guy come anyways, since it's just one person and I have nothing against him in particular.  Yes, I took the advice to free up the drama and not make us look like the people to blame at the wedding.

The ill feelings were toward the sister and it stems from the way she has treated us in the past (stolen from us and family, lied to both) and their constant forgiving and her never learning from her mistakes. My FI figured to take a stand and not let her get what she wanted. It was his original decision to do so, but last night I talked to him and we changed course to not stoop down to her level. 

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."