Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding plans good or bad?

Hi all,
I apologise if this is in the wrong section. We are having a Thursday evening wedding. Ceremony begins at 6pm with reception going from 6:30pm until 9pm. We wont be having dancing or entertainment other then light music being played. We're serving food stations or a light dinner along with cake and drinks. Im hoping its not too short. There will be kids and id hate for them to get overly tired and I know the adults might have work the next day so Id hate to keep them too long. :)

Re: Wedding plans good or bad?

• As long as you serve enough food to constitute a meal (as your event falls during dinner time) then it sounds fine to me.  I don't think 9:00 on a Thursday is too early to end things.
  • As long as you have enough food to make a meal and a chair for every butt, you are good!
  • I think that sounds fine. As long as it's enough food to count as a meal, you're good. And yes, make sure there are enough seats for every tush. 
  • You're not going to keep them - if they need to leave, they will. They're adults and may leave before 9, or they might choose to stay later if you kept it going later. They know what they're capable of. I have a kid and would make arrangements to get her to bed at a reasonable hour, maybe or maybe not involving leaving early (although that would also be true of a weekend wedding on the kid front). So if you'd like to keep the party going, feel free. If you want only to party till 9, that's fine too.

If I was at a wedding on a weeknight I would stay to 10...I can sleep when I'm dead!  (Of course you are free to end it earlier if you like ;) )

As long as their is enough food to fill up the tummies and enough seats to seat everyone, there is nothing I see wrong with this plan.  I agree with the others that if you are doing a cake cutting, try to do it earlier in the night so people are more relaxed about leaving earlier if they want/need to.

• I'd just say you keep mentioning a "light" dinner- it shouldn't be a light dinner. It should be a normal meal. 
    Good point. I might see a light dinner as a common restaurant entree- protein, starch, veg. A more common wedding dinner is soup/salad, entree, dessert, with even passed apps preceding those three. 

Only passing apps at 6:30, for example, wouldn't be a good light dinner. 

• I'd just say you keep mentioning a "light" dinner- it shouldn't be a light dinner. It should be a normal meal. 
    Good point. I might see a light dinner as a common restaurant entree- protein, starch, veg. A more common wedding dinner is soup/salad, entree, dessert, with even passed apps preceding those three. 

Only passing apps at 6:30, for example, wouldn't be a good light dinner. 
    I think she said elsewhere (there are a lot of threads) that she means not multiple courses. As long as you've got a solid entree with at least two sides on the plate, I think you're okay. Plus dessert, I assume.

But yeah, I'd stop calling it a light dinner - if it's enough food for a normal person to eat for dinner and not still be hungry, it's just dinner... and that's what's called for at mealtime.
  • Plan enough food to constitute a meal for your guests because this is mealtime.  I consider a "Light dinner" to be a chicken breast, veggie, and starch but still a full meal.  That said - I've seen it happen where a couple did appetizer stations at a dinnertime reception and ran out of food about 75 guests from the end - the guests were NOT happy! (and of course B&G couldn't figure out WHY people took off early <G>)..  Also cost wise, all caterers offer a "Budget Friendly meal" option especially during the week as these are often business/organization meetings, you just have to ask and be willing to work with your caterer on the choice.  Otherwise your plan looks great OP!
  • If you have enough seating, food and drinks for everyone for that time of day, then you're fine.
  • Sounds good to me provided you have enough food and seats/tables for all of your guests. Weekday weddings can be nice and it sounds like you are starting things late enough for people to come from work and fine with things ending at a reasonable time for people to get to bed.