Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding plans

Bride04272017Bride04272017 member
First Comment 5 Love Its
edited January 2017 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
We decided to go with our at home small backyard wedding that consists of 37 people or less. We will have a wedding tent for ceremony (it will be a standing ceremony) then we will have some drinks while lunch is being prepared and then we will all sit for a lunch with many homemade options and more drinks to follow. There will be music playing and since its a small wedding most guests already know eachother so hopefully lots of talking. Does this sound good? Anything else I should change? Is it good ettiquette? Any ideas on what to add? Howndonwe end the reception as we will be leaving for honeymoon at 3pm (wedding starts at 11am) thanks! :)

Re: Wedding plans

• The only thing I think you need to change is chairs for the ceremony. You only need 37, that shouldn't be a huge expense to rent. People wind up standing longer than you realize. 
    Thanks for the reply, we were actually able to make our own ceremony and our officiants said it will only take a few minutes to read through. The reason we were making it a stand up is because the tent itself wouldn't cover everyone if there were seats. Our local tent company wont reply to us so we had to buy the largest one we could. For those who cant stand for a few minutes such as grandparents they are more then welcome to use a seat from the lunch seating if needed. 
  • Everyone needs a seat for the ceremony.
  • I'm going to go against the grain here.  

With only 37 people, it's likely you already know who might have issues or not.    Since it's your home and not a lot of people, I'm assuming people will have a place to sit before the ceremony.  Kitchen/dining room table, living/family room, tables where lunch will be served?    They can gather, mingle and sit if they choose before the ceremony.   Then when you are actually ready to start, have everyone go over to the area.   And I mean summons them to the area right before you walk down.  As soon as they gathered, you go.  Have the quick ceremony and then they proceed to wherever you are having lunch.

This is very much a know your own crowd.  My mom would not even be able to stand for a 5 minute ceremony.  Heck, she barely could walk over to the ceremony spot on the grass.  My MIL and the rest of us could stand for a quick ceremony.  Heck, we are known to stand at parties when perfectly good empty seats are around.  It's what we do. We are always standing.

This would NOT work for larger guests lists. Even your 37 is pushing it.  And your ceremony really needs to be less than 10 mins (I've seen plenty of them). Our families are fairly large and close. We are in the know of each other's medical issues.  Not all family/friends disclose such things. Our families definitely do.  Again, know your crowd.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • The only thing I think you need to change is chairs for the ceremony. You only need 37, that shouldn't be a huge expense to rent. People wind up standing longer than you realize. 
    Thanks for the reply, we were actually able to make our own ceremony and our officiants said it will only take a few minutes to read through. The reason we were making it a stand up is because the tent itself wouldn't cover everyone if there were seats. Our local tent company wont reply to us so we had to buy the largest one we could. For those who cant stand for a few minutes such as grandparents they are more then welcome to use a seat from the lunch seating if needed. 
    What? You've posted practically daily with constantly changing ideas. Your local company didn't get back to you in the last two days since you settled on this plan so you went out and just bought one that doesn't cover your guests? Your posts make no sense. 
  • I would have your guests sit at their lunch seats and have your ceremony in that area. Everyone has a seat and you now no longer need a tent, correct?

Who is doing your set up, serving and clean up? If you have staff (which you should), could they also set up the chairs for the ceremony and then move them to the lunch area?

Not sure why you'd order a tent that doesn't fit your guests/space. Does a tent need to be ordered NOW? I can't imagine the company would need *that* much notice.
  • If your tent area is not enough to cover everyone you need a larger tent.  You also do need chairs for the ceremony!  After that - do not be putting your guests to work on the lunch.
  • Who is preparing your food for you?  Your reception is a thank you to your guests for witnessing your vows and as such they need to be treated appropriately. I'd be doing some serious side eying if you chose not to provide chairs and/or shelter and Aunt Susie brought the potato salad mere hours before you left for a vacation.

This could go really well, but it's also very close to "thanks for taking care of our wedding so we can honeymoon."
  • lyndausvi said:
    I'm going to go against the grain here.  

With only 37 people, it's likely you already know who might have issues or not.    Since it's your home and not a lot of people, I'm assuming people will have a place to sit before the ceremony.  Kitchen/dining room table, living/family room, tables where lunch will be served?    They can gather, mingle and sit if they choose before the ceremony.   Then when you are actually ready to start, have everyone go over to the area.   And I mean summons them to the area right before you walk down.  As soon as they gathered, you go.  Have the quick ceremony and then they proceed to wherever you are having lunch.

This is very much a know your own crowd.  My mom would not even be able to stand for a 5 minute ceremony.  Heck, she barely could walk over to the ceremony spot on the grass.  My MIL and the rest of us could stand for a quick ceremony.  Heck, we are known to stand at parties when perfectly good empty seats are around.  It's what we do. We are always standing.

This would NOT work for larger guests lists. Even your 37 is pushing it.  And your ceremony really needs to be less than 10 mins (I've seen plenty of them). Our families are fairly large and close. We are in the know of each other's medical issues.  Not all family/friends disclose such things. Our families definitely do.  Again, know your crowd.  

As a short person, I probably can't see it if it's a standing ceremony with 37 people. That would be annoying, and would be true no matter how short the ceremony is, or whether I was allowed to sit inside until immediately before. Another reason besides medical issues to reconsider.
    umm, I've been in the last row of a ceremony sitting down and couldn't see the couple either.    Actually last fall we went to a wedding the venue messed up and didn't have enough seats.   A bunch of us in the back were fine standing.  We could actually see better.   They brought out more seats a made us sit.  We were not able to see after that.

I'm not suggesting it's ideal, I give a little more leeway to a small at home event.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

As a short person, I probably can't see it if it's a standing ceremony with 37 people. That would be annoying, and would be true no matter how short the ceremony is, or whether I was allowed to sit inside until immediately before. Another reason besides medical issues to reconsider.
    umm, I've been in the last row of a ceremony sitting down and couldn't see the couple either.    Actually last fall we went to a wedding the venue messed up and didn't have enough seats.   A bunch of us in the back were fine standing.  We could actually see better.   They brought out more seats a made us sit.  We were not able to see after that.

I'm not suggesting it's ideal, I give a little more leeway to a small at home event.  
    I'm not saying that standing is the only way that people might not be able to see the ceremony, but I think it's way more likely than if you let people choose their seats.
  • lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

I'm not saying that standing is the only way that people might not be able to see the ceremony, but I think it's way more likely than if you let people choose their seats.
    I'm the tallest female of the family (including DH's side).  Only DH, dad, BIL and one nephew are as tall or taller than I am (and I'm only 5'8").   I'm not that asshole who would stand in front of my barely 5 foot tall sister.  Us taller people hang back so you shorties can see.     If your family wouldn't so something similar at a small family wedding at someone's home, than I don't know what to say.

Not everything is black and white. Again, we are taking about a smallish at home wedding. 

At a smaller home events (wedding or otherwise) I expect people sitting in different rooms.  Some at the dining room table, others on a sofa in the family room, still others standing around in the kitchen (hello, when was the last time you went to a home party where people were not just standing around in the kitchen?).  Some people might decide to plop themselves down on the fireplace hearth.    

By nature, at home events have a different feel and I give them more leeway than your standard larger wedding at a venue.  

• lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

I'm the tallest female of the family (including DH's side).  Only DH, dad, BIL and one nephew are as tall or taller than I am (and I'm only 5'8").   I'm not that asshole who would stand in front of my barely 5 foot tall sister.  Us taller people hang back so you shorties can see.     If your family wouldn't so something similar at a small family wedding at someone's home, than I don't know what to say.

Not everything is black and white. Again, we are taking about a smallish at home wedding. 

At a smaller home events (wedding or otherwise) I expect people sitting in different rooms.  Some at the dining room table, others on a sofa in the family room, still others standing around in the kitchen (hello, when was the last time you went to a home party where people were not just standing around in the kitchen?).  Some people might decide to plop themselves down on the fireplace hearth.    

By nature, at home events have a different feel and I give them more leeway than your standard larger wedding at a venue.  
    Oh FFS. I didn't say anything about "black and white." I gave it as another reason to consider chairs as a better option. It is possible that she can still make the standing wedding work.

Regarding the bolded, I don't know what my family would do, we haven't had a standing wedding - but not everyone has common sense, or forgets about it in their excitement about seeing the wedding?