Wedding Woes

Week 2 of Trump

I figure last week's post will end up in the hundreds of pages, so might as well start a new one to vent our frustrations.

Trump is claiming the people who were detained were due to a computer outage at Delta.

Funny, that's not what Prince Reibus was saying on Meet the Press yesterday.

Re: Week 2 of Trump

• Nor what his own DHS/TSA officials have said. But who needs facts.
  • Alternative facts, so sad how many people are okay with this being a thing.

He also signed a "One in/Two Out" regulations bill this morning that means if you want to pass one new regulation, you need to cut two.  I literally cannot even wrap my head around how this would work.  I guess I need to read up when more information comes up.

I have so many questions.  Like is there a limit?  Who decides what is cut?  Does this impact all regulations, like for cars, environment, recycling?

For example, on forklifts you must have a seatbelt, and a an overhead guard to protect the driver if the truck rolls over.  Recently, they added a requirement to add a sensor that stops the truck from operation if someone isn't in the seat.  Had this been the EO then, does that mean in order to have the sensor, manufacturers have to cut the seatbelt and rollcage?
  • Nor what his own DHS/TSA officials have said. But who needs facts.
    #alternativefacts

The "alternate facts" phrase is what sent my H over the edge.  Our Trump discussions have been mostly me informing H of what is going on and ranting.  But, this time, it was my H who came over ranting to me and incensed.  A direct H quote, "Alternative facts?!?!  Is that euphemism for LIES now?"

@kimmiinthemitten, and good call on starting a Week 2 thread.  There is just...so much.  So much.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • *Barbie* said:
    I'm just surprised he hasn't gotten tired of being President yet. 
    Well when Bannon is doing most of the policy articulation Trump doesn't actually have much to do. 
  • H's moment of fury was when Conway described checks and balances as "federalism."  He was like how can she be in charge of the government if she doesn't even know what these words mean.

@southernbelle0915 I like it when you're at the cool kids table...you always bring a perspective or experience that's unique and unfamiliar to me!

I feel comfortable with what you're describing - here are regulations we feel cost more than they're worth.  I'm not comfortable with how vague and limitless this is.  I'm not comfortable with eliminating necessary regulations that bring long term benefits in exchange for short term dollars.  I don't care if costs car companies more money today to implement fuel savings options if it means we can still have a planet generations from now.  I don't trust in him or his advisors enough to put long term sustainability ahead of investors pocketbooks.

• For anyone who is interested Spicer is doing his first presser since the ban was signed.  

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/30/watch-sean-spicer-press-briefing-after-trump-immigration-order.html
  • They're crying that 17 of his confirmations are being held up when Obama only had 10 left.  Oh boohoo.
  • H's moment of fury was when Conway described checks and balances as "federalism."  He was like how can she be in charge of the government if she doesn't even at these words mean.

@southernbelle0915 I like it when you're at the cool kids table...you always bring a perspective or experience that's unique and unfamiliar to me!

I feel comfortable with what you're describing - here are regulations we feel cost more than they're worth.  I'm not comfortable with how vague and limitless this is.  I'm not comfortable with eliminating necessary regulations that bring long term benefits in exchange for short term dollars.  I don't care if costs car companies more money today to implement fuel savings options if it means we can still have a planet generations from now.  I don't trust in him or his advisors enough to put long term sustainability ahead of investors pocketbooks.

Kelly Ann Conway is a sick, standardless, dangerous opportunist. I share your concerns 100%.

Their approach is kind of genius when you think about it. They get to re-write the law books to reflect their platform (which is terrifying) and satisfy their donors and lobbyists while they flirt with their constituents who are fed up with "big government". It has a very broad appeal with an objectively sinister agenda. I'm surprised Karl Rove isn't behind it, honestly. That dude is one conniving, evil mother fucker who would come up with something like this. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Okay, this is super petty, but Sean Spicer stumbles so much when he gives a press statement it makes my eye twitchy. He's supposed to be a fucking press secretary.  Maybe it's all the shit coming out of his mouth.  

• levioosa said:
    Okay, this is super petty, but Sean Spicer stumbles so much when he gives a press statement it makes my eye twitchy. He's supposed to be a fucking press secretary.  Maybe it's all the shit coming out of his mouth.  
    He also retweeted an Onion video, "5 things to know about Sean Spicer" which included his role in the WH is to "provide Americans with robust and clearly articulated misinformation".  
  • levioosa said:
    Okay, this is super petty, but Sean Spicer stumbles so much when he gives a press statement it makes my eye twitchy. He's supposed to be a fucking press secretary.  Maybe it's all the shit coming out of his mouth.  
    He also retweeted an Onion video, "5 things to know about Sean Spicer" which included his role in the WH is to "provide Americans with robust and clearly articulated misinformation".  
    Yaaas, I loved that.  But it also made me sad inside, because we have someone who apparently has zero reading comprehension in a major government position.

• How could I forget Conway's insistence that news organizations fire reporters who slam the President?

"Hello North Korea, do you have the building plans for Camp 14?  No we know you won't acknowledge it exists, we were just saying if it did, how did you build it exactly?"
  • levioosa said:
    levioosa said:
    Yaaas, I loved that.  But it also made me sad inside, because we have someone who apparently has zero reading comprehension in a major government position.
    This is how I've felt on a day to day basis lately. 
  • Drumptf has a full Republican congress.  But he (and really this is pretty much Bannon) won't even put up bills to be passed because they know they won't go through as they want them.  So EOs it is.  While the WH may not know anything about the Constitution, at least our Founding Fathers thought up the checks and balances that have already been used to put a stop to the ban.
  • Drumptf has a full Republican congress.  But he (and really this is pretty much Bannon) won't even put up bills to be passed because they know they won't go through as they want them.  So EOs it is.  While the WH may not know anything about the Constitution, at least our Founding Fathers thought up the checks and balances that have already been used to put a stop to the ban.
    The silence from "anti government overreach" conservatives is deafening!
    Which is so ridiculous because Republicans bitched and moaned for YEARS about "executive overreach". They aren't saying diddly now. Even when this is stuff even outside what most fringe Republicans want(ed). 

I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for his SCOTUS pick. I can't decide if he's going to go super ridiculous with someone who would never get confirmed, or if he's going to go conservative, but not like a Steve Bannon of the bench. I kind of think the latter and with all the nuttiness from the last couple weeks, the administration is hoping senate dems will be like "well this is the best we could probably get, so...." I hope they see right through it and block the shit out of him. 
    *********************************************************************************

Which is so ridiculous because Republicans bitched and moaned for YEARS about "executive overreach". They aren't saying diddly now. Even when this is stuff even outside what most fringe Republicans want(ed). 

I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for his SCOTUS pick. I can't decide if he's going to go super ridiculous with someone who would never get confirmed, or if he's going to go conservative, but not like a Steve Bannon of the bench. I kind of think the latter and with all the nuttiness from the last couple weeks, the administration is hoping senate dems will be like "well this is the best we could probably get, so...." I hope they see right through it and block the shit out of him. 
    EXACTLY. 

And I too am dreading his pick tomorrow - but I completely agree - there's always the hope that his pick gets blocked. 
  • Our local outreach groups are encouraging people to call their Democratic Senators and encourage a filibuster to force the nomination to 60 votes.  I called:).
  • I feel like I'm torn on picks, because there's definitely a part of me that thinks, "could the next one be even worse?" I don't support any of the current nominees and I'm sure I won't support the SCOTUS pick tomorrow, but I'm constantly wondering how much worse it could get.  What a mind fuck.