Wedding Woes
Options

Dress me help

DH's friend is turning 40.  His wife is having a surprise party at a bar on a Friday night.  I'm tired of feeling like a frumpy housewife around his friends.  What's in style?  What do the cool kids where to a bar on a Friday night?

Re: Dress me help

• Options
    I need specifics- what style sweater?  Mine are all drapery cardigans. 
  • Options
    Sassy top, cropped skinny pants, t-strap heels.
  • Options
    What constitutes sassy?  And it's in a few weeks and will probably be cold. 
  • Options
  • Options
    I feel ya on the frumpy thing.  I don't have any 'dressy' yoga pants, you know?  ;) I had the same crisis the weekend we went out for our bdays. 

I wore a pair of jeans and booties with a cami that had lace on the top and created a 'peek-a-boo' effect with the cleavage and then put an open front cardigan on top.  It was 50+ degrees out that night.  I got the cami from Maurices. 
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2017
    Ro041 said:
    @6fsn  - 
    Booties - Casual Weekend Jeans

Booties - Black Leather

*snort* at "Fabulous after 40"
    ETA: jeans like 1 or 3 (or more distressed). i'm trying to find shirt suggestions - i wouldn't go for a sweater unless you're always freezing no matter what -  because if it's crowded or you're dancing or something, it will probably get hot. layers up top. 
    personally hate booties, although i know they're "in"
  • Options
    Thanks. Now to just find something in the store. 
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    What constitutes sassy?  And it's in a few weeks and will probably be cold. 
    I usually go for a drapey top with skinny pants - with some kind of embellished detail (either a ruffled sleeve, an exposed zipper, a deep neckline). Or a loose-fitting cami or tank with sparkles/geometric prints paired with a blazer or army jacket for when it's chilly - that way in the bar you can bare your shoulders if you want.

Express usually has fun sassy tops. Banana has a few right now that I really like. And Old Navy has a few that are super cute - and I am a big fan of their Pixie pants. 
  • Options
    @*barbie* I thought the same thing, but the outfits are cute and I'm actually wearing something similar today!  (And I am only 31).

• Options
    I was actually going to suggest outfits that look just like the ones that @Ro041 suggested! and I'm only 28 ;)

• Options
    from kohl's - Rock and Republic
    with funky flats instead of booties (unless you want to wear a heel) - I got these in silver, yesterday, and they're mirrors. run small though - went up a full size. Abay Smoking Flat  Menswear Inspired  Fall Fashion  Nine West

• Options
    I love the outfits @Ro041 posted! Here are a few more ideas with layering/blazer options:

• Options
    I was actually going to suggest outfits that look just like the ones that @Ro041 suggested! and I'm only 28 ;)
    I'm 29 and I love those outfits too :)
  • Options
    A simple little black dress, one statement piece of jewelry, and nice shoes (you can even get away with a funky color or design) is always fun.

• Options
    How comfortable are you with your stomach?

I'm not - so I am a big fan of big, sheer shirts.  The size makes me feel covered while the sheet gives me cute.

My alternative is little tanks with some décolletage showing under a long duster length sweater.

Both with skinny jeans and booties.
  • Options

I'm not - so I am a big fan of big, sheer shirts.  The size makes me feel covered while the sheet gives me cute.

My alternative is little tanks with some décolletage showing under a long duster length sweater.

3 C-sections, an open appendectomy, gallbladder removal, and over 40.  I haven't liked my stomach in DECADES.
  • Options
    6fsn said:

3 C-sections, an open appendectomy, gallbladder removal, and over 40.  I haven't liked my stomach in DECADES.
    I have pregnant gut...always have, I hear ya!
  • Options
    6fsn said:

Me too. But I've never been pregnant. 

• Options
    6fsn said:

Wait, that's not your way of telling us your pregnant, is it?
  • Options
    I would wear a short/knee length black dress, solid black tights (these things do wonders in slimming legs), booties and some kind of open sweater. Accessories - statement necklace or earrings depending on neckline of the dress. I think it's stylish, sexy, but probably not too far off the mark for what you normally wear so it won't look like you went all out just for this one thing. And bonus, you might already have most of this stuff.

These are the only pictures that some close to what I'm envisioning, but you get the idea:
    Image result for lbd tights booties sweater

*********************************************************************************

• Options
    6fsn said:

Hell no!  Haha.  It's just the way my gut is shaped.  Some people's fat spreads all over, some people get love handles, I look pregnant.
  • Options

I need this booties!
  • Options
    6fsn said:

Hell no!  Haha.  It's just the way my gut is shaped.  Some people's fat spreads all over, some people get love handles, I look pregnant.
    I thought so, then I was like, "well maybe that was just super clever and went over my head". 
  • Options
    6fsn said:

I thought so, then I was like, "well maybe that was just super clever and went over my head". 
    she is quite sneaky, so not impossible!
  • Options
    I love these suggestions and would suggest swapping a cardigan for a leather jacket. Add fierce jewelry, and have fun with your eye makeup.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • Options
    I have a leather jacket I never wear!  I'm shopping this am.

The eye makeup is a little funny. I wear tinted moisturizer and mascara. I just started a little lipgloss. I'm just not that girl. 
  • Options
    @kimmiinthemitten  you better lmao :') tbh I do something on fb and people are always "are you telling us something?" which my response is always "why must you doubt my creativity!?"