Attire & Accessories Forum

Ceremony Shoes!

I was hoping to get some helpful advice for what shoes I should wear to my wedding. The ceremony will be outside in the middle of a meadow so there will be dirt and grass so I am a bit nervous about heels but love the look, and the height may help. I was also thinking though that I could just wear a sandal and then I wouldn't need to worry about the grass or have a change for the reception and I could dance in them just fine. My Fiancé is a whole foot taller than I am 6'4", 5'4" though....decisions decisions!

Re: Ceremony Shoes!

• I got married on a grassy area, and decided to wear (very) high heels. I just put on some heel protectors. I was fine, and didn't sink in at all. These worked great. 

https://www.amazon.com/Heels-Above-Protectors-Pairs-Carrying/dp/B015RXVRBA
  • Forget the look and think about where your mind will be. Will you be thinking "don't stumble, damnit heel in the grass! walk on your TOES!" Or will you be able to ignore your feet and be thinking "this is it! wow look at all the friends and family here. omg we're really doing this! He looks so handsome." KWIM?

You and everyone else know how tall y'all are, so it won't be a surprise that you look shorter than him if you wear flats. If you're a pro heel walker, I think you could level up to wedges and still be fully present. 

Also, not one person will be looking at your feet. And if you have a long dress, you probably won't be able to see your shoes in pictures either. 
    Agree with Southernbelle on this one.  I can't see my shoes in a single photo from my wedding. Not. One.  I would go with comfort and practicality over a certain look any day.  For the record I was married on the grass and wore a nice securely strapped wide based sandal with maybe a 1/2 inch of lift to it.  It was great because they were so comfortable I forgot I was even wearing them and I danced through a good portion of the reception.
  • Agree that no one is going to see your shoes, unless you lift your dress up, so wear what you are most comfortable in.

If you really want heels, then I agree with the heel caps, or go with wedges.

I wouldn't make the height of you FI the deciding factor.
  • I get the height thing. I'm 5'2". I don't like how I look in flats with a long dress. I like the added height of heels. It's OK to want to look tall! 
  • I'm a shoe person. I had 3 pairs of shoes on my wedding day. One for photos around the villa before the ceremony. A pair of wedges for the garden wedding (it rained that morning, and I didn't trust the heel caps in wet grass). And a pair of silver dance shoes that I practiced for months in while I took lessons since our first dance was choreographed. They were all the same height, so I didn't have to worry about he hem of my dress. In the end, wear what's comfy and fits your budget.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I wore heels once to a wedding that turned out to be on soft grass. I could barely walk, and I was a guest at that wedding who was sitting for the ceremony-not one of the principals who will be walking down the aisle and then standing for the ceremony.

Since you'll be standing, I vote to give your safety and comfort priority over "the look."
  • Jen4948 said:
    I wore heels once to a wedding that turned out to be on soft grass. I could barely walk, and I was a guest at that wedding who was sitting for the ceremony-not one of the principals who will be walking down the aisle and then standing for the ceremony.

Since you'll be standing, I vote to give your safety and comfort priority over "the look."

OMG, that reminds me of a story...about 5 years ago some close friends of our got married.  It had rained like hell the day before their wedding and was a bit wet that morning.  They insisted on doing the ceremony outside.  Not only did their outdoor venue space back up to a busy road (read traffic noise was LOUDER than their non-amplified ceremony) but the ground was MUSH!  Everyone was complaining about how wet and soggy the ground was.  I had worn a pair of open toed heels and the whole inside of my shoes turned black form the mud.  It was DISGUSTING!  There were about 5 women in the restroom after the ceremony (when I went in anyway) wiping off their shoes and washing their feet in the sinks!!! SUPER GROSS!  This is why when I had my ceremony I personally went outside to make sure the ground wasn't all soft and squishee.  Sometimes a rain plan needs to include a "after a ton of rain even though the sun came out" plan!
    So much this! FW has her heart set on an outdoor wedding (whether we do a private wedding or a big ceremony and reception) and I want to remind her of this.