Chit Chat

Family Member's Unsolicited Advice

Hi ladies! I am recently married to a wonderful man 25 years my senior ( I am 27). We really gave our relationship a thought and prayer and felt as though we couldn't live without each other. We communicate well, both want a family, and just overall have been able to overcome a lot of obstacles just being together for 17 months.

Our wedding date went without a hitch and we were surrounded with family and close friends. I recently posted my excitement of changing my last name on Facebook and I had a family member comment the following:

"The problems come later. Good luck. God bless you."

I proceeded to reply back and say the following:

"Thank you for the positive thoughts Aunt Jane Dow (named changed for anonymity)."

She proceeded to message me privately to say the following: "I tell you from experience. It brings a lot of issues. I counsel your good. I am very honest. Blessings and good luck. I hope you don't put your bank account under both of your names. He has experience and you don't." 

I proceeded to reply back that I appreciated her concern and that although I respect her experience, I cannot live my life in fear and that as the head of our home, I must trust my husband and we make our decisions together. We trust each other and I know his past a lot deeper than most his own family know... now this is all paraphrased. Again, I thanked her and finished the post with a I love you. She replied back by saying, "I hope that's the case..." ... do you think I handled this properly? Sorry for the long post.

Re: Family Member's Unsolicited Advice

• Yes, you definitely handled it appropriately IMO. I've found that some people have a "one bad apple spoils the bunch" kind of attitude and assume that because something happened to them it will happen to anyone in a similar situation. I feel certain that I had someone advise me not to get married simply because their marriage ended in divorce. I'd just chalk it up to that and continue living your life.

• I don't think anyone goes into a relationship thinking it's going to end badly. But the divorce rate is what it is and it's naive to think some of us, even on these boards, won't be divorced at some point. Doesn't mean you shouldn't change your name if you want to. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have combined finances. Doesn't mean you shouldn't work hard at your marriage. 

I get what she may be trying to say, but it's really shitty to deliver some "I told you so" one liner to a newlywed on FaceBook. wtf? If she's legit has your best interest at heart and is concerned for whatever reason, she should ask to talk to you like an adult and privately. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I married someone 17 years older and while I got a lot of support from friends and family, I could tell some people thought it was strange. However, I'm previously divorced (and so is he) and this marriage is a 1000x stronger than my first and has lasted twice as long so far! Oh, and my first husband was only 3 years older. So, age really wasn't a factor at all in my case. Some people just see this exception to the tradition (huge age difference) and automatically think it's doomed for failure. I am certainly a skeptical person when it comes to marriage- I have a prenup and all finances are separate- but I would not just apply my own personal feelings to everyone I know getting married. It works well for us, but we know that most people don't do things that way. 

I think you responded appropriately and agree with PPs about future encounter. I don't think there was any malice in what she was trying to say, but I do think she handled it poorly and should keep further thoughts to herself unless asked.

• edited February 2017
    I definitely agree with you Southernbelle0915. Our convictions are that we wouldn't divorce no matter how hard life gets. I come from parents, and grandparents and great grandparents that married and stayed married. He came from parents who married and stayed married. My husband  had a rough start in life so he threaded carefully before even starting a serious relationship with me before we got engaged. I guess my strong view in all of this that I would never project my life experiences on anyone else but simply say, pray and let God or your spirit guide you. I can say that when you simply just put your trust in someone higher than yourself, you can never go wrong. Did we  consider the pros and cons, of course. Is our risk for divorce higher because my husband's been married before? Yes, but we vowed and talked beforehand that we are fighting for our marriage.
  • Thanks Jells2dot0. I considered a prenup but when we reviewed our situation, I am only 2 years out of graduate school and we are really building our lives from the ground up from a financial standpoint even though he's much older. It definitely depends on what works for the couple. We definitely have his family and my parents and siblings support but we've talked about living wills and finances because he does have unique past and we wouldn't want to have issues in the distant future with how our finances are passed on to our future children. 
  • Does your aunt have a troubled marital history to your knowledge? I agree with PPs that this sounds like a case of someone who has their own regrets and is projecting them on you.

You handled it fine but I'd definitely take a firm approach to shutting her down if she brings it up again- something like "I appreciate your concern but I choose not to live my life dwelling on things that may or may not go wrong down the line, so let's stop having this kind of conversation." I don't know how close you are to this aunt or if she has a large presence in your life, but if she does I'd be wary of her trying to sow seeds of discord. Hopefully though she was just having a bad day and got a little too personal on FB and it will stop there!
  • Mrs.V2017 said:
    I definitely agree with you. Our convictions are that we wouldn't divorce no matter how hard life gets. I come from parents, and grandparents and great grandparents that married and stayed married. He came from parents who married and stayed married. My husband  had a rough start in life so he threaded carefully before even starting a serious relationship with me before we got engaged. I guess my strong view in all of this that I would never project my life experiences on anyone else but simply say, pray and let God or your spirit guide you. I can say that when you simply just put your trust in someone higher than yourself, you can never go wrong. Did we  consider the pros and cons, of course. Is our risk for divorce higher because my husband's been married before? Yes, but we vowed and talked beforehand that we are fighting for our marriage.
    I'm glad this mindset works for you, and I think that's great. I think your Aunt needs to mind her own business and in the future handle things that same way and refuse to engage with her. Your name, finances, and personal business don't have to be subject to discussion among family members if you don't want them to be. 

I just want to comment briefly on the bolded sections though. Again, if this works for the two of you, fantastic. However, there are a number of women (and men?) on here that have been married more than once, that had difficult times, that "fought" for marriages, or were in abusive or unhealthy relationships that were not good situations. It's not always the healthiest and most appropriate choice to "get married and stay married" and there is nothing wrong with recognizing that. I don't think you're trying to come off that they didn't work as hard to "save" their marriages as you would, or that there is some failure in not "staying" married, but just be aware it might come off that way. 
    Thanks Charlotte. I definitely wouldn't want other woman to misunderstand me. Abuse is never ok and I am thankful and blessed that that is not the case in our relationship. My aunt did come from an abusive relationship (1st marriage) and I am not sure what happened with the 2nd but I understood where she came from I just don't believe that I should live my life with that type of fear if I believe I've reasoned through the decisions I've made.
  • "As the head of our home I must trust my husband"

do you mean that you think your husband is the one in charge of your home and therefore you have to trust him? If so I see why she's worried! 

I think it's completely absurd for anyone to be sure they'd never divorce, but especially if he literally already made those vows and then got divorced! 

All that being said there is no reason at all to discuss this with her. I would have deleted her FB comment with no discussion and moved on. You won't convince her of anything and you don't need to try. 
  • Mrs.V2017 said:
    I definitely agree with you. Our convictions are that we wouldn't divorce no matter how hard life gets. I come from parents, and grandparents and great grandparents that married and stayed married. He came from parents who married and stayed married. My husband  had a rough start in life so he threaded carefully before even starting a serious relationship with me before we got engaged. I guess my strong view in all of this that I would never project my life experiences on anyone else but simply say, pray and let God or your spirit guide you. I can say that when you simply just put your trust in someone higher than yourself, you can never go wrong. Did we  consider the pros and cons, of course. Is our risk for divorce higher because my husband's been married before? Yes, but we vowed and talked beforehand that we are fighting for our marriage.
    I'm glad this mindset works for you, and I think that's great. I think your Aunt needs to mind her own business and in the future handle things that same way and refuse to engage with her. Your name, finances, and personal business don't have to be subject to discussion among family members if you don't want them to be. 

I just want to comment briefly on the bolded sections though. Again, if this works for the two of you, fantastic. However, there are a number of women (and men?) on here that have been married more than once, that had difficult times, that "fought" for marriages, or were in abusive or unhealthy relationships that were not good situations. It's not always the healthiest and most appropriate choice to "get married and stay married" and there is nothing wrong with recognizing that. I don't think you're trying to come off that they didn't work as hard to "save" their marriages as you would, or that there is some failure in not "staying" married, but just be aware it might come off that way. 
    Thanks for saying this, @charlotte989875. I don't think anyone goes into marriage thinking "I love this person and I'm committing my life to them but if things get too hard I'm just gonna tap out." Everyone thinks they'll stay together whatever happens. Everyone thinks it will always be worth it to fight for their marriage. The reality is though that sometimes you stop being able to live the best version of your life within the context of your marriage- not for any lack of commitment or fighting for it, but because things change and people change. Personally I have more respect for someone who recognizes that they need to end it in order to be the best, happiest person they can be than someone who is determined to stay in it no matter what it costs them and those around them (i.e. kids growing up in an unhappy home).
  • "As the head of our home I must trust my husband"

do you mean that you think your husband is the one in charge of your home and therefore you have to trust him? If so I see why she's worried! 

I think it's completely absurd for anyone to be sure they'd never divorce, but especially if he literally already made those vows and then got divorced! 

All that being said there is no reason at all to discuss this with her. I would have deleted her FB comment with no discussion and moved on. You won't convince her of anything and you don't need to try. 
    I respect your difference in opinion. No, my husband and I make decisions together  and I wouldn't have married him if I didn't trust him. Head of the home means he is there to protect me not harm me nor that he automatically gets to make the last call on all decisions. I hope that clarifies that. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    I think that although you handled her politely, you were a little defensive in your response, which opened the door to her snarky "I hope that's the case" line.

It sounds to me like your relative was trying to sow seeds of distrust in your relationship based on her own feelings. Or maybe she likes to create drama even when it isn't necessary. It was intrusive and inappropriate of her to discuss your financial arrangements with you, which are solely your and your husband's business.

I think that if she tries to bring it up to you again (or any other concerns about your marriage based in the difference in your and your husband's ages), I'd tell her "Thank you, but I prefer not to discuss my marriage." You might also consider putting more distance between her and you if the situation calls for it.
  • edited February 2017
    Mrs.V2017 said:

Thanks for saying this, @charlotte989875. I don't think anyone goes into marriage thinking "I love this person and I'm committing my life to them but if things get too hard I'm just gonna tap out." Everyone thinks they'll stay together whatever happens. Everyone thinks it will always be worth it to fight for their marriage. The reality is though that sometimes you stop being able to live the best version of your life within the context of your marriage- not for any lack of commitment or fighting for it, but because things change and people change. Personally I have more respect for someone who recognizes that they need to end it in order to be the best, happiest person they can be than someone who is determined to stay in it no matter what it costs them and those around them (i.e. kids growing up in an unhappy home).
    I understand that life happens but I wouldn't divorce my husband's for any other reason than for infidelity or abuse (whether physical or verbal). Those are our convictions. 
  • Mrs.V2017 said:
    Mrs.V2017 said:

I understand that life happens butvi wouldn't divorce my husband's for any other reason than for infidelity or abuse (whether physical or verbal). Those our convictions. 
    Then don't say you'd never get a divorce no matter how hard life gets. Because it's untrue and makes you seem naive to what life getting bad looks like. Also just in general literally no one needs to be told that you would never get a divorce. It's a silly statement to be sharing that just invites judgment. 
  • edited February 2017
    Judgemental much Starmoon44? I came here to ask if I handled it appropriately not to be judged for having strong convictions about divorce. My husband divorced twice before marrying me so I am in no way saying that divorce is evil. Just stating my convictions. 
  • Thank you everyone for your different perspectives. As I already stated, I am going to continue to keep my positive attitude about my marriage and stick to our convictions because that's what is going to keep our marriage strong. I am definitely young and still need to mature but your feedback is appreciated and I hope I didn't come off as judgemental. I've had great examples of what a strong marriage looks like and we're mirroring that the best way we can. I pray that that's the case for other women and men as well but for those who is not, know that you're not forgotten and that the God I serve had great plans for your life. 
  • Mrs.V2017 said:
    "As the head of our home I must trust my husband"

I respect your difference in opinion. No, my husband and I make decisions together  and I wouldn't have married him if I didn't trust him. Head of the home means he is there to protect me not harm me nor that he automatically gets to make the last call on all decisions. I hope that clarifies that. 
    I'm not judging because everyone has a different relationship dynamic and different beliefs, but the bolded would absolutely not fly in our household. EVER. It sounds like there is no compromise, which to me, is so super important. If your aunt knows this, she may be concerned that you are being forced to do things or be a part of things that are not right for you. You're obviously a grown woman and educated, but even the strongest and smartest people end up in really bad situations. 

• edited February 2017
    Mrs.V2017 said:
    "As the head of our home I must trust my husband"

I'm not judging because everyone has a different relationship dynamic and different beliefs, but the bolded would absolutely not fly in our household. EVER. It sounds like there is no compromise, which to me, is so super important. If your aunt knows this, she may be concerned that you are being forced to do things or be a part of things that are not right for you. You're obviously a grown woman and educated, but even the strongest and smartest people end up in really bad situations. 
    He doesn't make he last call on decision we make mutual decisions together. I obviously am not welcomed in this forum so I will just stop posting comments here because obviously I am being misunderstood. 
  • edited February 2017
    Yes you misread my statement Jells2Dot0. Preceding that statement you bolded is the word nor meaning not 
  • Mrs.V2017 said:
    He doesn't make he last call on decision we make mutual decisions together. I obviously am not welcomed in this forum so I will just stop posting comments here because obviously I am being misunderstood

Please don't say this. It is not a fair statement to say that you are unwelcome because people disagree with you or misunderstand what you're saying.

There are lots of women (and men maybe?) on this forum with a wide range of backgrounds and beliefs. I personally am a Christian, and I recognize some of the rhetoric you're using. I know you what you're trying to say, but you have to be aware of how it might sound to people with differing beliefs.

There is plenty to be learned on these boards and there are many lovely people to make internet friends with.

Very good point. Typing isn't always the best way to explain yourself, nor is it the easiest way to show a bigger picture.
    It's so easy to misunderstand situations, and many of us have had to clarify things to explain better.
  • edited February 2017
    I am sorry that I sounded snarky. I was frustrated with how the convo was going and just felt completely misunderstood. From now on, I will abstain from "religious" tones and abstain from replying back to questions I post in the future if they could potentially be too "religious" for others. Thank you for validating that I handled the situation properly. Have a nice day everyone. I will go on to enjoy being a newlywed.