Attire & Accessories Forum

Help with Allure dress size?

Hi ladies,

I plan to order an Allure wedding dress, and I am stuck deciding on which size dress to order. I know that Allure runs small for wedding dresses, and I am currently in between a size 4-6. My measurements are 31-25.5-33, so my bust and waist are way below an Allure size 6, but my waist is teetering on that size. I have enough time to lose an inch off my waist (which I'd like to do anyways, working towards abs, hah!) so I am tempted to order a size 4, but I certainly don't want to have a dress that I can't fit or breathe in. What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thank you!

Re: Help with Allure dress size?

• Hi ladies,

I plan to order an Allure wedding dress, and I am stuck deciding on which size dress to order. I know that Allure runs small for wedding dresses, and I am currently in between a size 4-6. My measurements are 31-25.5-33, so my bust and waist are way below an Allure size 6, but my waist is teetering on that size. I have enough time to lose an inch off my waist (which I'd like to do anyways, working towards abs, hah!) so I am tempted to order a size 4, but I certainly don't want to have a dress that I can't fit or breathe in. What are your thoughts and suggestions? Thank you!
    You'll want to order the size that corresponds with your largest measurement, so your waist size. 

However I will say I was between Allure sizes and ordered the size down, and the seamstress was able to let out the seams just a bit to have it fit right. Can you ask about the seam allowance in your dress?
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The rule with any clothing is to buy based on the largest part of your body, then tailor the rest down.

Are you buying from a salon? If so, the sales person or seamstress (if there is one there) should be able to tell you which size is best and what alterations would be easier to do (whether that is let the waist or, or tailor the bust and hips in).
  • Agree with PPs. It is easier to take in a dress than let out, but I would go with the shops measurements and recommendations.
  • Don't count on losing an inch from your waist especially since you're a small woman to begin with. Talk to the experts about sizing.
  • ordered an allure dress about a month ago for my wedding. I was in between 2 sizes, I went with the bigger size just to be sure. No one will know the size you order
  • It is better to get a bigger size taken in than to try to squeeze into a size you are not.  In fact, you will look better (and be more comfortable) in a dress that is properly fitted even if the size on the tag is bigger than you want/normally wear.

A former friend of mine bought a dress that was a little tight when she tried it on with the intention of losing weight...since the dress she tried was a sample her actual dress ended up even tighter, and instead of losing the weight she ended up gaining about 5 pounds before the wedding.  She didn't have the budget for alterations (a whole other story about budget) and she couldn't zip the last two inches in the back on her wedding day!  The dress ended up looking a little strange because it was too tight around her tummy and chest.

• Order the biggest size. 
    What is important is how the dress fits, not the number on the tag.

I just ordered (from a salon) a size 16 Allure Bridal. I am a size 8/10 in street clothes.
  • Always go bigger. I'm 5'11'' and a street size 12 and my wedding dress is an 18. Bridal sizing is much different. Also, sometimes where they say the "hip" measurement is means different things to different people. Also, I've lost 20 lbs, but my dress still did not need taken in, so don't bank on losing weight. Bridal sizes are much different than regular clothes. 
    Always better cut it down than to let it out, or stress too much about your weight.