Wedding Woes

This Is Us Discussion **SPOILERS**

2»

Re: This Is Us Discussion **SPOILERS**

• Oh you guys. I am so bummed from last night's episode. It was beautifully done, like all other episodes, but I still have So. Many. Questions. And I read that NBC doesn't yet have a plan for when Season 2 will air - we can hope it's next Fall, but it's going to be so hard to wait that long! 
  • What were the 2 big bombs? The fact that he almost robbed a place and that they took some time apart? Was I just not paying enough attention 
  • kvruns said:
    What were the 2 big bombs? The fact that he almost robbed a place and that they took some time apart? Was I just not paying enough attention 
    I was wondering the same - or maybe one was that Ben tried to kiss Rebecca? If the writers think that's a bomb, many of us saw that coming a mile away. 

I'm happy Kate is going to pursue singing - but that wasn't a bomb either. And neither was Kevin leaving NY to take that opportunity with Ron Howard. Maybe one was that Randall wants to adopt a baby? 

• I think the bombs were Randall wanting to adopt and Rebecca asking Jack to leave.  I have a feeling his death is still tied in here - maybe he gets into a car accident on the way to Miguels.
  • I loved the episode.  I had read beforehand that they weren't going to show Jack's death, so I was prepared for that knot to not be untangled.  I wonder how long they may way wait to reveal his death? I hope they don't fuck with us and wait until the series finale or some shit. 

There was no big reveal to me. So I'm not sure what 'bombs' they were referring to.  I mean, I know they've painted Jack as this earnest, almost perfect, husband and father...so him having a semi-nefarious past/bad streak after coming back from 'Nam may have shocked some people, but I knew that they were building his character up to knock him down a few pegs. 

I am more and more curious as to how Rebecca and Miguel ended up married than how Jack dies, to be honest.  I hope it's revealed as they sought comfort in each other after Jack died, because if it's cheating...ugh. 

The big fight got me right in the feels.  I could see myself and DH in that fight.  I felt for Rebecca when she talked about feeling invisible.  

Now I'm going to have to tide myself over with watching Parenthood again or something. 
  • @kimmiinthemitten After last night I also have the same sneaking suspicion about Jack getting in an accident on the way to Miguel's
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I loved the episode.  I had read beforehand that they weren't going to show Jack's death, so I was prepared for that knot to not be untangled.  I wonder how long they may way wait to reveal his death? I hope they don't fuck with us and wait until the series finale or some shit. 

There was no big reveal to me. So I'm not sure what 'bombs' they were referring to.  I mean, I know they've painted Jack as this earnest, almost perfect, husband and father...so him having a semi-nefarious past/bad streak after coming back from 'Nam may have shocked some people, but I knew that they were building his character up to knock him down a few pegs. 

I am more and more curious as to how Rebecca and Miguel ended up married than how Jack dies, to be honest.  I hope it's revealed as they sought comfort in each other after Jack died, because if it's cheating...ugh. 

The big fight got me right in the feels.  I could see myself and DH in that fight.  I felt for Rebecca when she talked about feeling invisible.  

Now I'm going to have to tide myself over with watching Parenthood again or something. 
    Mandy Moore revealed in an interview it doesn't overlap.
  • I'm so conflicted about that episode. I wanted how Jack dies, but I don't. And I think it was the first episode where I didn't cry. I think I was holding my breath though for the first 20 minutes. 

I don't want to believe that Rebecca would cheat with Miguel. I think they get together after Jack dies. But I'm still wracking my brain as to how Kate feels responsible for his death. 
  • @kimmiinthemitten After last night I also have the same sneaking suspicion about Jack getting in an accident on the way to Miguel's

Right; and after the secrecy with Randall's father, I wouldn't put it past Rebecca to not tell her kids why Jack was going to Miguels, leaving Kate to assume it was because she told him to go to Cleveland.

Right; and after the secrecy with Randall's father, I wouldn't put it past Rebecca to not tell her kids why Jack was going to Miguels, leaving Kate to assume it was because she told him to go to Cleveland.
    Or not explaining and not realizing Kate blames herself?
  • mrsconn23 said:

oh  my gosh YES it really hit home to me too. And I know I'm a new mom but we're going through some major relationship issues and when they talked the next morning about the fact that they both know they meant what they said in that fight it really hit home
  • I felt like I missed something in that episode.   

But man, Jack got me in the feels too.    And I can feel SO much like Rebecca even with a job.    
    I need a hug now.  
  • SO! I watched.

Good ep, but for a finale? Not so much.

APPARENTLY Mandy Moore tweeted that it was fundamental for what happens because it makes you question what the relationship was like in the end ....
  • You guys!! 

I am am actually relieved that Jack didn't die. I was not ready to lose him and William and, like MrsConn, am more interested in how Rebecca and Miguel got together than Jack's death. It wouldn't surprise me if the phone call between Kate and Jack that night had nothing to do with his death and there is another incident that happens later on. Like after he and Rebecca make up.... maybe something with gambling or crime? 

Jack and Rebecca's fight hit me right in the feels. I am so terrified of becoming an invisible person with no life of my own and the slowly realizing that I may have to accept that it is my life now. Luckily, Jack made me feel better in the end. ;) 

Idk about the bombs. I am pleased with the direction all of the kids are going. It may not have been the biggest cliffhanger of a finale but, honestly, I don't think it needed it. I think the worst thing they could do to this show would be to introduce a bunch of unnecessary drama. ( I know the whole thing is drama but YKWIM.)
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2017
    I had to refrain from getting into an argument over this article:

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/01/137648/this-is-us-bad-review-hate-watching

1.  Spoiler alert:  LIFE is basic.  IDK how these people think they're Beyonce walking around and all of us hanging on each moment of their lives b/c they're so exciting.  They're not, the majority of people aren't, and it's annoying when TV tries to tell me they are.  Oh and I basically consider Refinery 29 for people who think they're a BFD and really aren't.

2.  I cannot believe some of these criticisms.  Playwriting 101 will tell you: 1.  your actors need to say it or you've set up a situation where your focal point is obvious and 2. Real life is drama.  There's an entire artistic movement called realism that, very basically, is about real life (granted, it had a different point, to normalize the "abnormalities" of real life, but I actually think This is Us kind of does that, hello bisexual black man, fat love, and all the other taboo stories that are being presented).

So, now I'm just pissy.
  • VarunaTT said:
    I had to refrain from getting into an argument over this article:

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/01/137648/this-is-us-bad-review-hate-watching

1.  Spoiler alert:  LIFE is basic.  IDK how these people think they're Beyonce walking around and all of us hanging on each moment of their lives b/c they're so exciting.  They're not, the majority of people aren't, and it's annoying when TV tries to tell me they are.  Oh and I basically consider Refinery 29 for people who think they're a BFD and really aren't.

2.  I cannot believe some of these criticisms.  Playwriting 101 will tell you: 1.  your actors need to say it or you've set up a situation where your focal point is obvious and 2. Real life is drama.  There's an entire artistic movement called realism that, very basically, is about real life (granted, it had a different point, to normalize the "abnormalities" of real life, but I actually think This is Us kind of does that, hello bisexual black man, fat love, and all the other taboo stories that are being presented).

So, now I'm just pissy.
    I have to wonder what that writer likes for TV.

This is US is a TV show for people who miss good TV.  And the reason why we like it is that IT"S US.  

• @VarunaTT obviously that person has no soul. 
  • @VarunaTT  Sometimes R29 has good articles, sometimes it doesn't. I've got so many mixed feelings on their writers!