Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Should We Provide Cups?

Quick (and hopefully easy) question here.  We are doing wine (and wine glasses) at the tables.  We are also offering a selection of beer, soft drinks, and juice (all in cans or bottles).  It will all be kept chilled for the reception of course. I know some people really hate drinking out of cans/bottles, but I also really don't like creating needless waste.  I found biodegradable plastic cups at a local store.  They are actually quite nice looking, but we all know garbage in the landfill doesn't really degrade.  I'm just trying to keep garbage to a minimum.  All the cans and bottles will be recycled, so I feel ok about that.

Should I just get cups?  I know its a minor thing, I just want to make sure that our guests will be happy.

Re: Should We Provide Cups?

• Are you having a bartender? caterers?  That is who supplied glasses for our reception, even though we supplied the alcohol. Talk with them about adding glasses to the rental, then there will be no waste. :)
  • If you don't want waste provide glasses? Otherwise yes, you should provide cups. 
  • Yah I agree; either rent glasses or buy cups. 
  • Thanks guys!  Cups it is
  • Quick (and hopefully easy) question here.  We are doing wine (and wine glasses) at the tables.  We are also offering a selection of beer, soft drinks, and juice (all in cans or bottles).  It will all be kept chilled for the reception of course. I know some people really hate drinking out of cans/bottles, but I also really don't like creating needless waste.  I found biodegradable plastic cups at a local store.  They are actually quite nice looking, but we all know garbage in the landfill doesn't really degrade.  I'm just trying to keep garbage to a minimum.  All the cans and bottles will be recycled, so I feel ok about that.

Should I just get cups?  I know its a minor thing, I just want to make sure that our guests will be happy.
    Can I ask what the brand of cups is? We are trying to keep our trash down to minimum so I am looking into different ideas.
  • Knot1 said:
    Quick (and hopefully easy) question here.  We are doing wine (and wine glasses) at the tables.  We are also offering a selection of beer, soft drinks, and juice (all in cans or bottles).  It will all be kept chilled for the reception of course. I know some people really hate drinking out of cans/bottles, but I also really don't like creating needless waste.  I found biodegradable plastic cups at a local store.  They are actually quite nice looking, but we all know garbage in the landfill doesn't really degrade.  I'm just trying to keep garbage to a minimum.  All the cans and bottles will be recycled, so I feel ok about that.

Can I ask what the brand of cups is? We are trying to keep our trash down to minimum so I am looking into different ideas.
    Either Greenstripe or Greenware :smile: Both are available here.  I haven't tried either brand myself, yet, so I can't speak to which is better.  Those are just the ones I've found.
  • I'd rent glassware - I think the reusable is a better choice. Bio-degradable 'plastic' is a difficult process and is a high energy process. If your trying to be eco-friendly (yah!) then glass is the way to go - easily recycled at end of life and less pollutant in manufacture.

Just to think about.
  • I'd rent glassware - I think the reusable is a better choice. Bio-degradable 'plastic' is a difficult process and is a high energy process. If your trying to be eco-friendly (yah!) then glass is the way to go - easily recycled at end of life and less pollutant in manufacture.

Just to think about.
    I agree with this. Our local farmers' market and some restaurants use the compostable plastic, but it's a huge process to compost them correctly. You can't just throw them in your home compost heap (here in the US anyway). Maybe you could purchase some glasses from thrift stores, etc for kind of a funky, mis-matched look?