Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Wedding on horse back

We're planning to get married on horseback at a friends ranch... suggestions for decorations and such? I'm about creatively challenged right now!

Re: Wedding on horse back

• So you will be on horses when you say "I do"?
    ~Soon to become Mrs. O'Kane!~
  • edited August 2012
    I don't know about decorations, but have you thought about sound quality?  I'm concerned that your guests might not be able to hear you and you FI exchange your vows.  Will the officiant be mounted, as well? 

Generally speaking, I'm not keen on putting animals in weddings, as though they were props.  I'm guessing that both you and your FI spend a lot of time in the saddle or else you wouldn't be planning to do this.  There is definitely a safety concern. Horses are very large animals, and they do pose a risk, as anyone who as been inadvertently stepped on can attest.  I hope your guests will all be informed of the beasts' participation in the ceremony, because some people are very skittish around horses.
  • I agree with Ting and would like to add that it's really hard to get close to someone when you're both on horses. As she said, they're large, plus they may decide to snap at each other. Or chew on the grass. And you'd never be able to reach to kiss each other at the end. I love horses, but no. Animals never belong at weddings.
  • I have to agree with what everyone else has said.  Horses are such beautiful, magestic animals and people want to get close to them.  People like me who have no experience with them whatsoever.  My brother had horses and when I would visit he would always warn me about their heads and how strong and heavy they are, and that they can move them around and hit you.  Are your horses used to be around many many people all at one time?

I am super anti-animals in weddings.  Even after you take in the fairness to the animal issue, the safety issues for  your guests, and the logistics, I just have this vision in the back of my head of a horse pooping in the middle of the wedding.

I know it isn't what you asked for, but I would really encourage you to rethink this one.
  • Sorry but this is a bad idea. No to mention cruel to the horses.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto PPs.  I would add that I'd be worried about nature calling for one or both of the horses.  Nothing like a huge dump or a firehose like piss to say "now this is romantic."
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • awww. I disagree. I am an equestrian and think the idea is lovely. sure, the horses snap at each other but only some do and it's a perfectly fine idea. I think it's cute and it's something different and new! I like that. Who says animals don't belong in a wedding? I think it's a fun prop. 
  • Why not just get a horse drawn carriage or leave the ceremony location on horseback? It's a lot safer for your horses and your guests. 

Have the horses you have in mind been used in weddings before? Are they used to a long flowing dress down their back? Music? Clapping and hollaring? Large crowds? 

I think it'd be much better to keep the ranch theme without actual horses in the ceremony. Haybale seats, horse shoe decorations, etc. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_wedding-on-horse-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:54102e51-ce45-443d-8bc4-aaaccc99cbf7Post:9a677022-d116-4412-9b77-34c8ddc22550">Re: Wedding on horse back</a>:
    [QUOTE]awww. I disagree. I am an equestrian and think the idea is lovely. sure, the horses snap at each other but only some do and it's a perfectly fine idea. I think it's cute and it's something different and new! I like that. Who says animals don't belong in a wedding? I think it's a fun prop. 
    Posted by burgfraulein[/QUOTE]

<div>If you really are a true equestrian, surely you will agree that horses are not. Effing. PROPS. They're living, breathing, feeling creatures. Weddings are not a place for horses. Or dogs, doves, butterflies, or any other animal one might think of.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_wedding-on-horse-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:54102e51-ce45-443d-8bc4-aaaccc99cbf7Post:fc9be834-37ac-4ff3-9b5c-aa846a260dc2">Re: Wedding on horse back</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding on horse back : If you really are a true equestrian, surely you will agree that horses are not. Effing. PROPS. They're living, breathing, feeling creatures. Weddings are not a place for horses. Or dogs, doves, butterflies, or any other animal one might think of.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]
    Rabbits in cardboard boxes as centerpieces...

• I am doing a 'trash the dress' session with my horse. 

I've seen photos of a couple who had a "horsey" wedding.  The bride even rode side-saddle. 
  • I love horses in weddings!

At the ones I've been at, guests were brought in on a hayride. The tractor and trailer were decorated with tulle and silk flowers.

Bridesmaids rode their horses while the groomsmen lead them in.
    Bride rode her horse, her dad lead her.
    Groom rode himself in.

Guests sat on haybales covered in paisly patterned fabric with fowers strung up on each short end. SUPER cute!

They did NOT sit on their horses during the vows. Ponies were tied up at the fence nearby. When vows were finished, bride and groom rode out together. They walked down the aisle, then raced each other up the hill. Her dress was "full" and did flap in the wind... all horses were desensitized to all aspects of the wedding.

People that use horses in their wedding either know already how to handle their horses, or if using other people's --- I can GUARANTEE you that the animal owners WILL be present and will refuse the bride and groom to do whatever grand idea they have if it will harm or endanger their animals or people. Horse people are a crazy breed, I tell ya ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards