Flowers

Eucalyptus Wedding

edited April 2017 in Flowers
I am planning to use eucalyptus garlands as table runners and decor throughout. For anyone who has done it: did you go through a florist or just order the eucalyptus online? Any tips for the best type to use?

Answers

• I didn't get garland but I did order my flowers online and arrange them the day before the wedding. They do offer garland though so I think all you would have to do is order it and it is ready to use.
  • Me too I saw long real ones on Etsy. But also decorating our ceremony ourselves and I'm doing the wedding arch with fake flowers from Michael's. So much cheaper and can use them after around the house. They have long floral strands too
  • ernursej said:
    If you are going with real, make sure that you aren't using too much so that the scent overpowers the area.
    Agreed. Eucalyptus can be one of those things that people either love or hate. I know several people who think it smells like urine (and if you google that, you get a lot of results!)
  • ernursej said:
    If you are going with real, make sure that you aren't using too much so that the scent overpowers the area.
    Agreed. Eucalyptus can be one of those things that people either love or hate. I know several people who think it smells like urine (and if you google that, you get a lot of results!)

I am one of those people! A hint is fine but more than a hint and I think I'm at work dealing with urine!

• edited April 2017
    Oh wow, THANK YOU for cluing me into the urine smell. I had no idea and was about to drape my entire wedding in the stuff. I will now be on the hunt for realistic looking fake eucalyptus :) Thank you all!
  • I never sensed a Urine smell, but I would point out that it is a VERY strong scented item and you might reconsider on that grounds alone considering the sheer volume involved (scent can also depend on the variety chosen as some are more of a "spicy" scent, but it's still overpowering)...

• Um...I disagree with the idea that they have a strong smell. It depends on the kind you get, there are a few. Some have a stronger smell than others. But I grew up in the Australian bush - read eucalyptus trees all over. And the smell isn't that strong. I think your thinking about the oil which is super strong. I have some here at home at the moment in a vase with flowers and they have basically no smell at all. I just went and stuck my face in them - I had to put my nose right on a leaf to get any smell at all.

I'm doing something quite similar - using 
    eucalyptus all over our French wedding to have a piece of home there so I think its a great idea. 

I can't help with your actual issue because where having round tables so no garlands but I thought I'd say that the leaves themselves are different from the oil
  • Um...I disagree with the idea that they have a strong smell. It depends on the kind you get, there are a few. Some have a stronger smell than others. But I grew up in the Australian bush - read eucalyptus trees all over. And the smell isn't that strong. I think your thinking about the oil which is super strong. I have some here at home at the moment in a vase with flowers and they have basically no smell at all. I just went and stuck my face in them - I had to put my nose right on a leaf to get any smell at all.

I'm doing something quite similar - using 
    eucalyptus all over our French wedding to have a piece of home there so I think its a great idea. 

I can't help with your actual issue because where having round tables so no garlands but I thought I'd say that the leaves themselves are different from the oil
    Perhaps that is true of the variety that you had where you grew up. Every time I have smelled eucalyptus plants it has been very powerful. A small amount is okay but more than that and I smell urine. It doesn't mean that everyone does, but something like this is where you have to think a little goes a long way and perhaps not on tables where people will be eating. You might be fine with the smell but a guest might not.
  • I would say that I met with my florist this week and we talked about it - because as I said we're having lots of it. I asked if she thought it would be difficult to get and she said its really popular. It's clearly (here at least) something that lots of people are doing so I think is  Knottie1ee10c9950bee84 wanted to use it, it would be ok.

For me, it smells like home. I always get really homesick when I see it. So I'm a bit upset that you 'pee' all over it. If you choose one that has a no or a softer smell I think you will be fine.   

• I would say that I met with my florist this week and we talked about it - because as I said we're having lots of it. I asked if she thought it would be difficult to get and she said its really popular. It's clearly (here at least) something that lots of people are doing so I think is  Knottie1ee10c9950bee84 wanted to use it, it would be ok.

For me, it smells like home. I always get really homesick when I see it. So I'm a bit upset that you 'pee' all over it. If you choose one that has a no or a softer smell I think you will be fine.   

I don't know if I'd recognize eucalyptus if I smelled it, so I don't have an opinion on what it smells like. Maybe home. Maybe pee. Whatever.

In the same manner, I like cilantro. But I know for many people even a hint in their food and it's "NOPE" to the whole meal. This would be like me saying "I know this is a very polarizing taste, but put it in ALL THE FOOD in very small pieces that are unavoidable because I like it." 

Being offended/upset that someone - actually lots of people, apparently - think a plant smells like pee is kind of ridiculous. If it's really special to you, use it your bouquet, but I don't get using it in all the decorations everywhere if there are obviously people who literally smell urine when they smell it. Especially on the tables where people are eating.
    *********************************************************************************

I'm doing something quite similar - using eucalyptus all over our French wedding to have a piece of home there so I think its a great idea. 

This is also outside where smells naturally will be less. I don't know about the eucalyptus that you have, I just know my mom had four or five sprigs growing up in a vase and my dad strongly disliked the scent and thought it smelled like pee. It was not strong throughout the house, but it was also only a few sprigs not in a few dozen bouquets or more all over a room. I have also heard the scent thing from several other people and it's all over Google results. It's not just in people's heads. 

I don't know if I'd recognize eucalyptus if I smelled it, so I don't have an opinion on what it smells like. Maybe home. Maybe pee. Whatever.

In the same manner, I like cilantro. But I know for many people even a hint in their food and it's "NOPE" to the whole meal. This would be like me saying "I know this is a very polarizing taste, but put it in ALL THE FOOD in very small pieces that are unavoidable because I like it." 

Being offended/upset that someone - actually lots of people, apparently - think a plant smells like pee is kind of ridiculous. If it's really special to you, use it your bouquet, but I don't get using it in all the decorations everywhere if there are obviously people who literally smell urine when they smell it. Especially on the tables where people are eating.
    I've never heard this before - so I am upset. That's how I feel. And I googled it - it's not coming up as very common. There was only one article that talked about it and it was from dried eucalyptus not fresh. I'd appreciate you not saying that how I feel about this is ridiculous. I think that's a bit rough.  

I do see what your saying - I'm actually not a big fan of cilantro but if someone really loved it and wanted it at their wedding - I'd probably grin and bear it. Plus if you're clear to make sure that you use one without a strong smell - which we are then I see no problem at all.