Wedding Party

2 Maids of Honor & Advice on Bridesmaids?

2»

Re: 2 Maids of Honor & Advice on Bridesmaids?

• flantastic said: 

CMGragain said:

Wut? It's not like when she goes to hand off her bouquet there's going to mass confusion about who's supposed to hold it. Anyone can hold it. Or she can set it on a table or something. Our best man hung onto both the rings. Sometimes the groom holds the rings. Sometimes the officiant does. 

This is just kind of a weird reason to say you don't understand why someone might have two MOHs. They're just guests of honor. She could make all of her BMs MOHs. Or none of them. It's just a designation. Who cares who holds the bouquet and/or rings?

I'm just being traditional.  This is the traditional role of the MOH.  If you want to call all your bridesmaids MOHs, OK, but I just don't get it.  It is an honor to be a bridesmaid.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridesmaid  I love it that they quoted Miss Manners in this!

The OP asked about the duties of the MOH.  Holding the bouquet during the ring exchange is one of them.  It is what differs the MOH from other bridesmaids.  "Maid of Honor" is not just a designation.  This is why I am confused.

Maid of Honor IS just a designation though. MOH is a way to especially honor your closest friend(s). If you have two friends/family you're equally close to and want to be co-MOHs, why not? Not much to understand or be confused about.

If OP said "I'm not carrying flowers" would you say "oh, well then in that case, you shouldn't have an MOH at all." If she said "I'm double fisting bouquets" would you say "oh ok then, I totally understand why you need two MOHs."

I had two. One held the bouquet, the other signed the marriage license. But neither of those were qualifications to be MOH.

I had two MOHs and neither held my bouquet or signed my marriage license; only one person was allowed on the altar with me and she had a separate kneeler. . .and I have no idea where my bouquet was, now that I think about it.  I know my MOH on the altar didn't have it though, as it was a huge cascade and I remember she had her bouquet.

We didn't sign the marriage license after the ceremony. . .I think we did that at the rehearsal?  I don't even know where it is now!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• IMO it's not tacky at all to have 2 MOH. I might be biased though, because my best friend had 2 MOH and I was considering it. If it's essentially a coin toss on who you would ask, then why not ask both, as long as they get along. To me, it's just a title, friend vs best friend (s). You are honoring (see what I did there hehe) that person or persons close friendship with you with a higher title. I don't think the MOH(s) or bridesmaids should be upheld to any specific duties other than what you stated.