Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cancel Formal Wedding and have a private ceremony?

After starting the wedding planning=(we put a deposit on a venue and planner,  i bought my dress, and sent the STDs) my FI and I have decided that a large wedding isnt really what we want to begin our life together. Plus it didn't help that 3 out of 5 maids dropped out and the grooms BM and neither side has showed any interest in the big day (not a big deal but annoying as some things are in wedding planning) and a majority invited already mentioned they may not attend because its a Friday on labor day weekend. With 5 months away, we are deciding to just go to Hawaii for our honeymoon extended and have a private ceremony while there. 

I was trying to think of a way to still celebrate with friends and family and since the STDs went out---maybe just having a little dinner at a brewery to share photos and such with family and friends, no gifts we didn't really want to register for anything anyways. I was hoping to still celebrate on the day I had people STD (sept 1st). Do you guys think it will be too much to plan a private ceremony  in Aug last minute in Hawaii, get invites out announcing the marriage AND the after celebration, and planning the celebration dinner? Should I send the a notice that the wedding is cancelled but we are getting married abroad and celebrating after? I know some people may be hurt, happens whether we have a formal wedding home, but i want to make the transition as smooth as possible.Any tips would be great!

Re: Cancel Formal Wedding and have a private ceremony?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    Just a note about the wording of a formal wedding announcement.

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    announce their marriage
    Date of ceremony
    City, Hawaii

That is all.  No information or photos.  These should be sent after your ceremony, perhaps on the same day.  You can have them pre-addressed and ready to mail.
    Wedding announcements do not mean that the recipients should send you a gift.  You should receive some nice cards of congratulations, though.  This is just a nice way of letting people know that you are now married.

I came very close to cancelling my own wedding plans and eloping.  I am glad I stuck it out.  I think I would have been bitter if I had let family stop me from what I really wanted to do.  Only you and your FI can decide what is right for you.

Cancellation wording:  "The wedding of Bride and Groom will not take place as previously announced."  That is all.  No details.  Word of mouth in the family grapevine will take care of things.  Be careful not to say anything negative because it WILL get repeated.  Just say, "John and I really wanted a simple ceremony, and Hawaii is so romantic!"

Any after wedding celebrations will be a completely separate event.  They are not a part of your wedding.  Treat it as you would any party. It is OK to show off your honeymoon photos.  No wedding traditions, though, or anything wedding. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Just cancel, do your private ceremony, and send announcements afterward. Don't try to plan some sort of replacement party. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • O.k. IMO - if you're going to have a party after the fact, keep your date/plans as it currently is.  By planning your wedding on a Friday, you knew this would be the case from the start, js.  Also, depending on your contract with the venue and such, you may be out more than the deposit.  IMO, I'd rather show up to a beautiful venue with lots of extra space where you had to upgrade to meet the minimums than be asked to fly to Hawaii for a "Private Ceremony" then attend a dinner later on.  If you're going to elope instead, that's one thing, but if you think of your guests and their budgets, keep things as you planned and if people can't attend, NBD, those that consider your wedding a priority and able will be there for all or some of the day.  As for WP cancelling out, relax.  Remember, the only responsibility of the WP is to show up relatively sober the day of the wedding in the designated attire (chosen within their budget).  Your wedding is not going to be a priority for anyone but you, any help extended/offered BY THEM should be treated with the utmost of gratitude and not "taken advantage" (i.e. treat them poorly) of in accepting.  
  • mollybarker11mollybarker11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2017
    There is nothing wrong with cancelling your wedding and having a private ceremony instead. And there is nothing wrong with planning a small celebration dinner. However, cancelling the wedding means the STD becomes irrelevant so it isn't necessary to plan the dinner for that same date. As PPs mentioned, you still might have declines since it's a Friday and a holiday weekend (we suggest running the date by any VIPs before booking venues).

Also I'm not sure whether it's an etiquette issue but it personally seems odd to have it on the same date. To me it runs the risk of feeling like a make-up version of your original reception plans, which would take away from the event's atmosphere. I'd opt to throw a Labour Day cookout at home if you still want a get-together with family and friends that weekend. Repositioning it this way will avoid it seeming like a consolation prize. I am generally A-OK with AHRs (at home receptions) as a planned part of a destination wedding but when you're cancelling your wedding and making new plans like this it doesn't make sense.

Good luck and enjoy beautiful Hawaii!
  • You planned a wedding on a Friday before a Monday holiday. You were essentially asking for people to take at least one additional day off. Many companies require you work the day before and the day after a holiday to get paid, so you were asking for people to take these days unpaid. That's why they declined. 

Cancel and go get married in Hawaii if you want. But change the date of your dinner since people have already told you that date is problematic for them.
  • The best man and three bridesmaids all dropped out?
    Yes, I'm curious if they knew the date before agreeing to be in the WP.