Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Hoping to be invited to DIL's sister's wedding

My DIL's sister is getting married. My DIL's family is very close. Her siblings all live in the same city. Whenever we visit my son and DIL, we always see her siblings at least once. My husband and I usually take everyone out to dinner, and we include the siblings' boyfriends'/girlfriends'. My granddaughter, son, and DIL are all in the wedding. I have heard it has always been tradition to invite . .... but I don't know. The couple is not on a tight budget and there should be room for us. I like the young couple and I think they are fond of us. My granddaughter's 2 year birthday is 4 days after the wedding so we will want to fly out to help her celebrate. But I have a feeling we won't be invited to the wedding. Feeling blue about it.  

Re: Hoping to be invited to DIL's sister's wedding

• Options
    I've never heard that it's tradition but if you're not invited, please don't be disappointed.    There's a good chance that if you ARE invited that you would have a trip with seriously limited time with your son and his family.    Photos and a video conference with your kiddos may be the best compromise.   
  • Options
    If the wedding ceremony is in a church, anyone can attend. I do think this is a bit much though. Just because someone might have the money/resources to invite, doesn't mean they have to. I didn't include any extended family despite our financial position to do so.
    KatMinn said:
    My DIL's sister is getting married. My DIL's family is very close. Her siblings all live in the same city. Whenever we visit my son and DIL, we always see her siblings at least once. My husband and I usually take everyone out to dinner, and we include the siblings' boyfriends'/girlfriends'. My granddaughter, son, and DIL are all in the wedding. I have heard it has always been tradition to invite . .... but I don't know. The couple is not on a tight budget and there should be room for us. I like the young couple and I think they are fond of us. My granddaughter's 2 year birthday is 4 days after the wedding so we will want to fly out to help her celebrate. But I have a feeling we won't be invited to the wedding. Feeling blue about it.  

• Options
    So this has been a thing in my family. Like, my maternal grandparents were invited to multiple weddings of my paternal cousins. But that wasn't so much tradition but because my cousin's on my dad's side liked my mom's mom. And each time there was another wedding, my grandmother was always delightfully surprised to be invited because she never expected or anticipated to be invited.

So the idea that just because the couple doesn't have a tight budget that means they can fit you in really comes off as very entitled. No one is owed an invitation, no matter the couple's budget or even their relationship to the couple. I could have a $100K budget and not plan to invite my own aunts and uncles and that would be okay for me to do (or not do, as the case may be). 

I don't think you mean to come off that way, so just take a step back on this. Even if you can't celebrate with them the day of, if you're planning on being there a few days later you can still celebrate with them then.
  • Options
    This is a thing in my family; we invited my sister's in-laws to our wedding, and she invited H's parents to hers. But I don't think it's all that common and no one would have been upset or disappointed if they hadn't been invited. 

Why not talk to your son and DIL and ask what they're plans are for that weekend besides the wedding? Maybe offer (as a PP said) to pick up your granddaughter from the reception so the parents can stay out, and celebrate her birthday the next day? 
  • Options
    I've never heard of this tradition. My brother was engaged at the time I was planning my wedding, and I didn't invite my FSIL's family members. 
    My brother and his FI broke up, but if he were to get married, I don't see him inviting my MIL. Honestly, I really don't think you should be feeling sad about being left out. 

Why not talk to your son and see what they have planned for your granddaughter's birthday? Maybe you can plan something separately. 
  • Options
    I agree with PPs on this.  I think that while this is a lovely practice for some families and individuals, for many others is not even something they think about.  And I think a lot depends on the couple themselves.  Case in point: DH and I did not invite the ILs of any of our siblings to our wedding; however, when DH's sister was married a few years later, she and her H chose in invite my parents.  It wasn't expected, but was more of a case of my ILs and my folks being closer, and therefore more a part of joint family things.

I like PPs idea of taking with your son and DIL about the idea of visiting for granddaughter's second birthday, and volunteering to spend the later evening with her so they can spend some reception time with family or friends who will be attending.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I wouldn't spend too much time feeling bummed about this. Your only contact with them is when you visit? Do you communicate with them at other times? If you only interact with them when you visit, it's not likely you will be invited, and I wouldn't take it personally. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think the "tradition" OP is describing is one of inviting the parents of the wedding party.  Since her son and DIL will be in the wedding, she (as the mother of a groomsman) might be invited.  But, no, that's not a thing much anymore now that people are growing up and having friends that don't know their family and whose family they don't know.

I won't be inviting my FSIL's parents to my wedding even though they host us every year for the niece and nephew's birthday party.  They're nice enough people, but they're not my friends.
  • Options
    I am sorry you are feeling bummed about this, but no one is entitled to an invitation to any wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I invited my sister's IL's to my wedding and she invited mine to hers.  We both had it in our budgets and we're from a big, inclusive, "the more the merrier" type family.  However, this isn't the norm.  Even though you've treated the couple to dinners out, they may not reciprocate.  Invite or not, you're still able to fly to town to celebrate your granddaughter's birthday.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    We invited my BIL's parents to our wedding. But we didn't do it because we "had to" or because etiquette required it. 

It's ok to be bummed, but you should not expect an invitation to anyone's wedding. Do not broach this subject with your son or your DIL. Wait for a Save the Date or invitation.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I don't think my SIL knows my parents' first names.
  • Options
    aurianna said:
    I don't think my SIL knows my parents' first names.
    I was going to say the same thing, but that my brother doesn't know my MIL's first name. He's getting married in January and I'd be shocked if he even considered inviting her.
  • Options
    We invited all of the In-law's parents as well to ours.  It all depends on what the social norm is for your families...  That said, if it's not the norm for theirs, don't take it personal if you don't get an invite and you shouldn't be seeking one out either.  You are however allowed to send the couple a gift if you so choose.  
  • Options
    Are you even invited to come out to celebrate the kid's birthday? Sounds like a lot of presumption here...
  • Options
    Thank you all for your replies. It was good to hear these different perspectives. 
  • Options
    sarals24 said:
    Are you even invited to come out to celebrate the kid's birthday? Sounds like a lot of presumption here...
    All of my friends who are grandmas are included in their grandchildren's birthday celebration. OP sounds like she has a good relationship with her DS and DIL so would in all likelihood be included in a celebration.
  • Options
    sarals24 said:
    All of my friends who are grandmas are included in their grandchildren's birthday celebration. OP sounds like she has a good relationship with her DS and DIL so would in all likelihood be included in a celebration.
    I mean, this was true of the first birthday. If parents express a wish to come out for DD's second birthday, I'll consider it, but I'm not throwing a party (grand or small) every year. And we have a good relationship with both our parents.
  • Options
    sarals24 said:
    I mean, this was true of the first birthday. If parents express a wish to come out for DD's second birthday, I'll consider it, but I'm not throwing a party (grand or small) every year. And we have a good relationship with both our parents.
    See, this is more strange to me than OP assuming she will be invited to bday.  I'm a grandmother, and know lots of them and I/they have always been included in birthdays. I grew up in MI and now live in TN and this is the same for both areas.
  • Options
    sarals24 said:
    Agreed. I don't think it's a universal custom or something to be assumed. 
  • Options
    sarals24 said:
    See, this is more strange to me than OP assuming she will be invited to bday.  I'm a grandmother, and know lots of them and I/they have always been included in birthdays. I grew up in MI and now live in TN and this is the same for both areas.
    My family is just not over the top celebraters of birthdays. I realize that there are many families (SIL's included, and therefore our nieces) who have done a thing for every birthday so far (their oldest is 4), and of course the grandparents are included.

We'll have cake at our house, but all the grandparents live 4 hours away. If they want to plan a visit in conjunction with a birthday, that's fine with me, but I'm not specifically inviting them to come that far just for the kid's favorite dinner and cake with her parents. I'm sure they'll call or Skype.
  • Options
    sarals24 said:
    My family is just not over the top celebraters of birthdays. I realize that there are many families (SIL's included, and therefore our nieces) who have done a thing for every birthday so far (their oldest is 4), and of course the grandparents are included.

We'll have cake at our house, but all the grandparents live 4 hours away. If they want to plan a visit in conjunction with a birthday, that's fine with me, but I'm not specifically inviting them to come that far just for the kid's favorite dinner and cake with her parents. I'm sure they'll call or Skype.
    LOL I have friends who live a 3 hour flight away from all their grandchildren (9 total) and they fly to the celebrations every time. I don't know that I would do that, but then again I'm not a GM yet. I don't know that it is a party with friends every year, but with family (aunts, uncles, cousins) yes every year.
  • Options
    sarals24 said:

Esp. since the whole family will have just finished with being in a wedding, they might want to just do something small the day after with cupcakes or something else low key...