Chit Chat
Options

The current Posts and all about their etiquette empire!

Re: The current Posts and all about their etiquette empire!

• Options

Thanks!  That was interesting to read.  Sounds like Emily was quite savvy in tailoring her books to what her readership wanted to hear about.  I like that the current generation talked about trying to keep things more simple and that etiquette really just boils down to treating people with respect (paraphrasing).

I still remember a funny answer written by the other etiquette maven, Miss Manners, to one of her LWs.  It was a very technical etiquette question about the purpose of some esoteric piece of silverware.  Miss Manners answered the question and the expounded to say that, in the late 19th century, etiquette was used more as a weapon than a tool.  Place settings might have a dozen pieces of silverware, all with a slightly different purpose.  It was almost more a test to see who was "proper" enough to know which fork to use with which piece of food.

She then drily added it was "just as well" most of that silverware was melted down to pay for WWI.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Fascinating!
  • Options
    Interesting read! I do think etiquette changes over time and I like the principles they have to guide their suggestions. I know that not everyone is a fan of the newer Post material, but I think it is better than some of TK articles posing as etiquette.