Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Thank you cards for rude, inconsiderate guests/family

I've posted a few times, mostly about how frustrated I was with the groom's involvement in wedding planning.  Our wedding was AMAZING!  I have no words about how proud I am to be his wife. I now know what the initial problem was, HIS FAMILY! He was anxious and afraid of his family being involved in our ceremony.  They caused problems from day 1.  If I had the choice, I wouldn't send them thank you cards.  I'm not thankful for anything they did, I'd rather they didn't even come.  However, they attended, some gave cards, and proper etiquette dictates they receive our thank yous.  I need opinions on what wording would be appropriate? Would it be rude to simply state, "Thank you for attending our wedding.  We appreciate your cards and blessings.  The Smiths"?  What wording would you suggest?

Re: Thank you cards for rude, inconsiderate guests/family

• Options

@JeeGooDowster is absolutely correct.  You only send TY notes for gifts.  You don't send a TY note if a guest just attended your wedding and/or just gave a card.  Of course, if there was money/check/gift card in the card...ie, a gift...then a TY note would need to be written.

For TY notes that do need to be written for gifts, you will want to have something in the TY note that also thanks them for attending the wedding (assuming they attended).  Eeevvveeennnn if the truth is...you wished they hadn't come, lol!

Congratulations on your wedding!  I'm glad it was an amazing day for the two of you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I mean if your wedding was "amazing" they either were not that bad or you must have not really noticed??
  • Options
    KnottieJanel, my wedding was AMAZING because of my husband and I and our commitment to each other.  We also enjoyed other family and friends.  His parents, sisters, and aunts' rude and inconsiderate behavior did not affect our happiness on that day, and it will NEVER be forgotten.
  • Options
    Ladies, thank you so much for your advice!  I really needed that, I was lost as to what to do.
  • Options

scribe95 said:

Also, your amazing new husband can and should help with thank you's as well...

That's a good point also.  I know some couples will split up the TY notes by each writing to their own family.  Or, even sweeter (though perhaps not in this case), writing the TY notes to the other person's family.

With that said, both my H and I signed all the TY notes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

KnottieJanel, my wedding was AMAZING because of my husband and I and our commitment to each other.  We also enjoyed other family and friends.  His parents, sisters, and aunts' rude and inconsiderate behavior did not affect our happiness on that day, and it will NEVER be forgotten.

Life is too short to have grudges. Write the thank you notes (or get hubby to do it) and move forward. These are your in-laws and new family. Take the high road and work to improve your relationship. You don't have to be buddy-buddy, but you should be able to be cordial and tolerate being together in social situations.
  • Options
    Ditto @LondonLisa.

I'm also curious how the day was "AMAZING" but his immediate family was so terrible that you don't even want to thank them for gifts they gave? And how their behavior will "NEVER be forgotten".

I mean, clearly you're talking about a lifelong grudge you plan to hold with his entire immediate family and aunts. Whatever they did must have been really awful...what did they do?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    This entire post reminds me of an episode of "Whose Wedding is it Anyway" where the MOG did something to irritate the bride so she gave a lovely speech (eyeroll) where she was passive-aggresively insulting her MIL and her new husband kept saying to her, "Baby...shut up.   Baby....shut up."   She kept smiling about her new wedding but what she really wanted to do was make the entire room aware that she was made at her husband's family.

If that isn't your intention, great.   But if the idea is to make all of them feel bad, get over that idea now.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Dear MIL, 

Thank you for trying to ruin our wedding with your rude behavior. You're a peach.

Sincerely,
    Penny and Leonard

Hmmm. Something's not quite right with the wording.

Seriously, tempting as it is, skip the notes unless you've received a gift or helping hand with a specific task.

• Options

Dear MIL, 

Thank you for trying to ruin our wedding with your rude behavior. You're a peach.

Sincerely,
    Penny and Leonard

Seriously, tempting as it is, skip the notes unless you've received a gift or helping hand with a specific task.

Off topic, but OMG I love Leonard's mother.  That character actress always plays women who are just hilarious in how cold/bitchy they are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Dear MIL, 

Sincerely,
    Penny and Leonard

Off topic, but OMG I love Leonard's mother.  That character actress always plays women who are just hilarious in how cold/bitchy they are.

I met her once!  Back in spring break of 2000 at the Louvre in Paris.  She was lovely.  Shorter than I expected her to be though.
  • Options

adk19 said:

Dear MIL, 

Sincerely,
    Penny and Leonard

I met her once!  Back in spring break of 2000 at the Louvre in Paris.  She was lovely.  Shorter than I expected her to be though.

Really? She looks so tall and lithe. 

• Options

adk19 said:

Dear MIL, 

Sincerely,
    Penny and Leonard

This might be weird, but I have this thing with looking up actors/actresses on IMDB when we watch movies and then I look at their profile to see how tall they are.  IMDB says she is 5'8" 1/2".  That's pretty tall to me (5'1").  

• Options

levioosa said:

adk19 said:

Dear MIL, 

Sincerely,
    Penny and Leonard

This might be weird, but I have this thing with looking up actors/actresses on IMDB when we watch movies and then I look at their profile to see how tall they are.  IMDB says she is 5'8" 1/2".  That's pretty tall to me (5'1").  

I do that too! I'm pretty sure their heights are embellished on IMDB. Matt Damon is listed as 5'10", but I'm 5'9" and I interviewed him once when I was a news producer and he's definitely shorter than I am. 
  • Options
    They didn't give us any gifts, some of them gave cards.  His parents gave us a card with half of the money they owed us for the hotel room we paid for.  I was under the impression that proper etiquette was to thank people for attendance and cards, in addition to gifts.
  • Options

They didn't give us any gifts, some of them gave cards.  His parents gave us a card with half of the money they owed us for the hotel room we paid for.  I was under the impression that proper etiquette was to thank people for attendance and cards, in addition to gifts.

I mean, you thank them for attendance by greeting them at the event and thanking them for coming, but no, you only send notes for gifts (obviously including any money in the cards).

And I love Christine Baranski.
  • Options

Is this what their horrible, rude and inconsiderate behavior was that ruined your wedding? 
  • Options

You should have thanked all your guests for coming in person by having a receiving line or visiting every table at the reception.

TY notes are for gifts.

And gifts aren't reciprocal.   Was the card an IOU?  I'm really confused here.
  • Options

Thank you notes are just for gifts.  If someone sends you a birthday card or a get well soon card (just the card), do you send a thank you note? Probably not. Same thing here.

For attendance, you should have already thanked them - that's what a receiving line and/or table visits are for. To greet every guest and thank them for coming. Since you (presumably) already did that, that TY is taken care of.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thank you all for your advice.  It was really helpful!