Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Help forming my wedding party!!

Re: Help forming my wedding party!!

• Options
    Add none of these people because you don't want to and they aren't your closest friends and that's enough of a reason. 
  • Options
    Your bridal party is supposed to be comprised of your very best friends. None of these people seem to fit that description. There's your answer. 
  • Options
    Thank you for all the advice! For the record the mutual friend's feelings was not just a childhood crush, she had serious feelings for him for years and when we first started dating she was supportive but it was admittedly weird for her, and I don't want to put her in an awkward situation. I realize it doesn't have to be six, but I don't want anything larger than that and that matches the number of groomsmen my FI is having. We want to keep it traditional and only have women as bridesmaids and men for groomsmen. 
  • Options
    Very few etiquette rules about picking your wedding party:

- sides do not have to be even or gender specific
    - ask only the people you are closest to (or no one), you are not obligated (by etiquette) to ask certain people e.g. sisters, sisters-in-law, etc.
    - ask each BM for the attire budget *privately* and pick something below the lowest budget
    - do not expect parties

So FWIW, a perspective on asking your FI's sister and SIL......
    I am 31 years old. I have a 1.5 y/o child. I am not close with my SIL but she asked me to be a BM in her wedding this fall, probably because she felt obligated (for whatever reason). I said yes because family politics/dynamics, but I really wish she hadn't asked me. I'm over being in weddings (unless it's a good friend), I wanted to pick my own attire, and I just attend as a guest without the obligations of being a BM. Do not ask these people. They don't want to be in your wedding. Nothing personal against you, they just want to attend as guests. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Just saw the part about the mutual friend. I personally don't think I'd ask this person. Is she actually one of your best friends? They way you have written about her, it doesn't sound so. I would forget about the crush thing- that was years ago. No one is going to be as excited about your wedding as you are. It just doesn't sound like you and her are really all that close. Again, don't use where she lives, her budget, or how busy she seems as a reason to ask or not ask someone to be in your WP. You ask someone because you WANT them there, and let them make the decision as to whether they accept or not.

It's fine to say, "I really don't have the budget for more than 6 people" but don't pick 6 just because that is what your FI has. You do realize you may ask someone to be in your WP, but they may not necessary accept the offer- maybe they can't take the time off, they can't travel, they don't have the budget. It is also not appropriate to "replace" someone in the WP by asking someone else after you've already picked your WP. This is why I say having an arbitrary number is not a good idea- just pick who you want!
  • Options

I need help figuring out who should be in my wedding party. Originally
    I was thinking of having my sister as the MOH and then including my close group
    of college friends (4 girls) and one mutual friend of both my fiancé and I for
    over ten years. However everybody keeps talking to me about people and things I
    didn’t even consider and now I’m not sure what to do. The people in contention
    are:

The bolded is a pretty terrible way to talk about future family/friends. Maybe not your point, but "in contention" sounds like they're competing for some award or honor, rather a honor that is bestowed on them. 

Pick who you want; it sounds like your sister and your close group of college friends is your best bet. 
  • Options
    Someone's age and if they have kids or not is completely irrelevant to this, as is how far away they live. When you ask the person to be in the wedding party, you can be sure to convey that you are not an inconsiderate bridezilla who's going to demand ANYTHING of them other than a dress within their budget (if that) and to show up on time the day of. They don't have to plan or attend any other parties, or do any chores for you. 
  • Options
    OP it's very rude (and pointless since you've been quoted) to delete your post after people have taken the time to answer your question.
  • Options

OP it's very rude (and pointless since you've been quoted) to delete your post after people have taken the time to answer your question.

Every time I see this happen I'm so confused.  I guess some people don't even bother to lurk for a bit to see that there's no going back once somebody has quoted the OP in their reply...
  • Options
    Do what feels right to you. I did not include my fiancé asidsister is 11 years younger and my fiancé is not going to be in her upcoming wedding. 
  • Options
    I meant to say *sister who is