Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What time should an early bus leave the reception?

hi all,
if you were to leave the reception early, what time/at what point would you be looking to leave? We're having bus service for our guests with 2 time options (one obviously is at 11:30 when the reception is over). The other my planner has listed for 9pm. Does this seem early? Late? The early pick-up will most likely be intended for families with little kiddos and grandparents.

Ceremony starts at 5:30, cocktail hour at 6, reception starts at 7. Doing toasts, dinner, dancing and dessert - no cake cutting, garter/bouquet throwing, etc. Reception ends at 11:30.

grateful for your thoughts!

Re: What time should an early bus leave the reception?

• Options
    I think 9/9:15 sounds good. Gives people an option to leave after dinner and not have to stay too late. 
  • Options
    lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I had a 9 pm  and midnight shuttle. Not many people used 9 pm one, I guess it makes sense that people that want to leave early will just drive themselves.

• Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2017
    9:30- tell people what time the shuttles will depart and if they think they might want to leave at different times they can make alternate transportation arrangements. 
  • Options

Also, I would have the DJ make an announcement 15 minutes and 5 minutes before it departs so no one misses it if they want to leave.

This is a really great idea - thank you!
  • Options

9:30- tell people what time the shuttles will depart and if they think they might want to leave at different times they can make alternate transportation arrangements. 

Thank you! We will have all the shuttle info on our website and in welcome bags for guests to try and let people know what their options are
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

megtownxx said:

Thank you! We will have all the shuttle info on our website and in welcome bags for guests to try and let people know what their options are

Our early dismissal shuttle was fairly popular.  It wasn't just for some of the elder guests.  We had a few guests who wanted to attend but were on the "sickish" side, and were ready to call it a night after dinner.

Our hotel kept a framed sign at the check in desk notifying guests attending the His & Hers Wedding of indicated  shuttle times, and offered a "sign up" sheet of sorts as well.
  • Options

Also, I would have the DJ make an announcement 15 minutes and 5 minutes before it departs so no one misses it if they want to leave.

Yes do this! At H's cousin's wedding, we planned to take the shuttle back and ended up almost missing it because there was no announcement. They did have the shuttle times on a paper in the welcome bags, but none of us brought that paper to the ceremony and most people don't keep track of time at a reception.

9/930ish would be good, as long as dessert would have been served and people have time to eat it by then! I would also have the late shuttle leave a few minutes after closing time, to give people time to get their stuff together, head out, etc. Most receptions are so much fun people aren't ready to head out the minute the DJ stops! :) 
  • Options
    Between 9 and 9:30. We went to a wedding where the shuttle options were only 11 and 12:30. I would have preferred an early time as FI and I were exhausted by 9:15 and took a $50 cab ride so we could relieve our sitter.