Wedding Woes
Options

Wonderw1fe story : re babies and using your words

PART ONE
First, good mertin.

Second, if I'm not pregnant now, it won't be for lack of trying.

:: icing my ladyparts::

Third, we went to see SIL's baby on Friday. I don't have any pics 'cause it was like it didn't happen. We were there for 2 hours and MIL would not let go of that baby. She was clasped all to her chest almost the entire time. The only moment the child was free was when SIL fed her. And even then it took MIL 10 minutes to hand her over. SIL was sitting there, ready to pop out the teat, but MIL did NOT want to hand her over. Every time the baby made the smallest piece of a whimper, MIL would snatch her back. SIL was too tired to fight her, but BIL sort of made a small token protest. Eventually she got to feed her, but MIL was leaning over her throughout, and being all finger waggy and hover-y about it.

I have another interesting tidbit about the baby that I have to put in another post, 'cause I'll need to DD it.

The best part of the night was when MIL retold SIL's birthing horror. Not only did she pewp the table, apparently she peed while pushing and it shot over the doctor's shoulder and hit a nurse in the chest.

DH looked absolutely horrified when he heard that, but then he busted out laughing. As did I. MIL didn't think it was funny and SIL was still so doped up on pain meds she didn't know what was going on. We left soon after that, once we realized we weren't getting any quality baby time.

PART TWO
DH doesn't hold babies until they get up to 10 pounds. He loves them, don't get me wrong, but, I dunno, I guess he thinks he's crush them with his superhuman strength or something.

Sunday we went to the hospital to visit Baby #7. As usual, I held her while DH tickled her feet. I leaned like I was going to hand her to him and he vigorously shook his head No.

After we left the hospital, we went out to SIL's to visit my little Izzy. We haven't seen her since she was born, and you remember how that went. MIL had her hermtically sealed to her chest the entire time. Whatever. We got to the house and BIL answered the door. We came in and sure enough, there sat MIL with Izzy clamped in her arms. SIL was upstairs. DH plopped down in front of the TV; I wandered over to MIL to get a look at the kid, but MIL had her wrapped all to be damned. She only had her face out 'cause MIL was feeding her. I hovered for a moment, but you can guess how effective that was. So I grabbed a magazine and sat in the TV room with the boys.

SIL came down a little later and we chatted for a minute. Then she & BIL started talking about how they went to a movie Friday night, and had we seen Eagle Eye yet. DH & I both blinked like hell and said, ah, no... and how the hell did y'all get to a movie? MIL piped up that she'd watched Izzy.

Please note, Izzy is about 2.5 weeks old. That seems mad early to have baby burnout but who am I to judge? Yet judge I did.

Anyway, MIL got up and walked over to where DH & I were sitting. She leaned down to us and I thought she was going to finally give the child to me, but no. She was merely showing her to us. It was like, "Oooh, look, here's your auntie, she wants to hold you but PSYCH!!" Then she walked into the kitchen with her.

At this point, DH popped up off the couch and followed MIL to the kitchen. He walked right up on her and said, "Here, give me the child." MIL started sputtering about how she wasn't done eating yet, but DH was steadily easing Izzy out of MIL's arms. He said, "I know how to feed a baby. Give her to me." And damn if she didn't hand her over with bottle and burpy towel thing. MIL looked like she just got her purse snatched. Ha! She was standing there with her mouth open as DH walked away.

DH brought Izzy back to the couch, fed her and burped her. Then he rocked her a little bit until she started to fall asleep. He gave her to me and said, "Here. Get some quality time." I was like, um, thanks but who are you and what have you done with my husband? But I quietly took her and had newborn quality time. She fell asleep on my shoulder and it was glorious. MIL tried to snatch her back but SIL told her to stop or she'd wake Izzy up. With that, MIL gathered her belongings and announced that she was heading home. Everyone was like kthxbai and then went back to whatever we were talking about before. She took another half hour to actually leave, but she finally did.

We left a few hours later. When we got to the car I said, "Ok, what was that? Izzy ain't but 8 pounds now! What happened to the 10 pound rule?" He said if he didn't step in, MIL would never have let go of that baby. He wasn't going to waste a 45 drive on watching the top of her head.

Re: Wonderw1fe story : re babies and using your words