Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Need Help Addressing An Invite

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty stumped on how to address one of my wedding invitations. I need to make it out to the following people (note names have been changed):

Alvin Smith and Brenda Baker (husband and wife, wife kept her last name)
Russel, Sabrina, and Katie Smith (Alvin's children from a previous marriage)
Simon, Jillian, and Audra McDonald (Brenda's children from a previous marriage, they have their birth father's last name)
Plus ones for Russel and Simon (who are both 17)

None of the children are over 18. The youngest one is 12. All of them still live at home.

If anyone could help me with this I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Re: Need Help Addressing An Invite

• Options

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty stumped on how to address one of my wedding invitations. I need to make it out to the following people (note names have been changed):

Simon, Jillian, and Audra McDonald (Brenda's children from a previous marriage, they have their birth father's last name)

None of the children are over 18. The youngest one is 12. All of them still live at home.

If anyone could help me with this I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Well, if you were truly going to address all of them on one invite, I'd say:

Ms. Brenda Baker & Mr. Alvin Smith
    Russel Smith and Guest
    Simon McDonald and Guest
    Sabrina and Katie Smith, Jillian and Audra McDonald

However, that's a lot to write on one envelope. Even though they're not over 18, you could consider sending Russel and Simon their own invitations. You're already treating them like adults by extending plus ones.
  • Options

Hi everyone,

Well, if you were truly going to address all of them on one invite, I'd say:

Ms. Brenda Baker & Mr. Alvin Smith
    Russel Smith and Guest
    Simon McDonald and Guest
    Sabrina and Katie Smith, Jillian and Audra McDonald

However, that's a lot to write on one envelope. Even though they're not over 18, you could consider sending Russel and Simon their own invitations. You're already treating them like adults by extending plus ones.

I think if inner envelopes are being used it is fine to have all the names on one envelope. If only one envelope is being used I would send separate invitations to Russel and Simon.
  • Options
    I don't think children need plus ones so I'd skip that. 
  • Options
    mollybarker11mollybarker11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2017
    If Russell and Simon are in relationships you should include their SOs' names as well instead of indicating "Guest". (You're not obligated to invite childrens' SOs but if you're gonna do it that's the proper way!) I would issue separate invitations to them as follows:

Russell Smith
    Sam Jones

Simon MacDonald
    Morgan Doe

Separate lines since they're not married, and with the appropriate titles (Mr. or Ms.) if you're addressing them formally. Even if they are single and getting true +1s I'd send separate invitations to them to keep things simple.

Then the other envelope would be addressed as follows:

Mr. Alan Smith and M(r)s. Brenda Baker
    Sabrina, Katie, Jillian, Audra

I don't believe that children require titles or surnames when grouped on a family invitation but I may be misinformed.

• Options

If Russell and Simon are in relationships you should include their SOs' names as well instead of indicating "Guest". (You're not obligated to invite childrens' SOs but if you're gonna do it that's the proper way!) I would issue separate invitations to them as follows:

Russell Smith
    Sam Jones

Simon MacDonald
    Morgan Doe

Separate lines since they're not married, and with the appropriate titles (Mr. or Ms.) if you're addressing them formally. Even if they are single and getting true +1s I'd send separate invitations to them to keep things simple.

Then the other envelope would be addressed as follows:

Mr. Alan Smith and M(r)s. Brenda Baker
    Sabrina, Katie, Jillian, Audra

I don't believe that children require titles or surnames when grouped on a family invitation but I may be misinformed.

For the very traditional they do. Miss/Master for young children.
  • Options
    Outer Envelope:
    Mr. Alvin Smith and Ms. Brenda Baker and Family

Inner envelope:
    Mr. Smith and Ms. Baker
    (childrens' first names in order of age)

I'm with STARMOON - I don't think minors need a plus one. But if you decide to give them plus ones to the 17 year olds, you may consider giving them their own invitations. They're close to 18 and you're treating them somewhat like adults by giving them plus ones, so it's a nice gesture. If you do this:

Outer Envelope:
    Mr. Russell Smith

Inner Envelope:
    Mr. Smith and Guest (if you know the guest's name, you should write it out)
    *********************************************************************************