Wedding Etiquette Forum

Rude if guests get different apps?

Re: Rude if guests get different apps?

• edited May 2017

LondonLisa said: p

I would take an empty room with better food and more volume/variety every single day over a decorated room with a strict 1 per person food rule. 

These boards are filled with stories of wedding guests who had a misrable time because they ran out of food. 

For the last time, when did I say I would run out of food or fail to provide food? I'm not going to enforce a rule. If people overeat one snack then people will eat the other snack. Isn't that normal.

For example I am bringing in my own drinks. If I run out of beer A people will drink Beer B. Running out is a non issue. If more of a certain type of snack is taken people eat something else.  A wedding isn't a restaurant. 

Ok, so this is the issue: running out of things IS a problem at a wedding, especially early on. People want to try all the options, and they want to be able to go back for the things they like. It's just bad planning and hosting to run out of things. Running out of something is the definition of not having enough food. 

Running out of something that everyone has been eating or drinking for hours at midnight is annoying and bad planning, but somewhat forgivable. Running out of something before dinner starts is inexcusable. 

Etiquette requires food and drink not an endless supply of everh single option. 

No,  but you need to provide enough food to last the entire cocktail reception. You are not providing nearly enough for that.  I just gave you like 4 suggestions of how you could do this for cheaper than what you're spending now so you don't run out of food. Why are you digging in your heals? 

Do what you want, but search these boards for how guests felt when they ran out of food or food was rationed. 

How am I not providing enough food? I mentioned several times Im not just doing the fruit and nothing else. Also not rationing anything. People eat what is available. 

• I would take an empty room with better food and more volume/variety every single day over a decorated room with a strict 1 per person food rule. 

These boards are filled with stories of wedding guests who had a misrable time because they ran out of food. 

For the last time, when did I say I would run out of food or fail to provide food? I'm not going to enforce a rule. If people overeat one snack then people will eat the other snack. Isn't that normal.

For example I am bringing in my own drinks. If I run out of beer A people will drink Beer B. Running out is a non issue. If more of a certain type of snack is taken people eat something else.  A wedding isn't a restaurant. 

Ok, so this is the issue: running out of things IS a problem at a wedding, especially early on. People want to try all the options, and they want to be able to go back for the things they like. It's just bad planning and hosting to run out of things. Running out of something is the definition of not having enough food. 

Running out of something that everyone has been eating or drinking for hours at midnight is annoying and bad planning, but somewhat forgivable. Running out of something before dinner starts is inexcusable. 

No,  but you need to provide enough food to last the entire cocktail reception. You are not providing nearly enough for that.  I just gave you like 4 suggestions of how you could do this for cheaper than what you're spending now so you don't run out of food. Why are you digging in your heals? 

Do what you want, but search these boards for how guests felt when they ran out of food or food was rationed. 

ETA: yes, you need to have enough of each option for each guests. That is where the 1.5 per person rule comes from. 

If youre worried about waste, why not have leftovers put out again during the dancing for people to snack on. I think you are going to be really surprised at how much people eat. 

By all means, don't believe us. But if everyone is universally telling you to think about more inexpensive options to have more volume, maybe think about it before you jump down our throats. 

I'm not jumping down your throats. Just don't understand why you keep saying wont have enough volume. I'm only providing one desert per person after the meal. Should I get lots more just in case. Some snacks in the evening. Catering 1.5 relates to the food overall not evry individual item otherwise you end up with food for over 200 people for 150!

• I would take an empty room with better food and more volume/variety every single day over a decorated room with a strict 1 per person food rule. 

ETA: yes, you need to have enough of each option for each guests. That is where the 1.5 per person rule comes from. 

If youre worried about waste, why not have leftovers put out again during the dancing for people to snack on. I think you are going to be really surprised at how much people eat. 

By all means, don't believe us. But if everyone is universally telling you to think about more inexpensive options to have more volume, maybe think about it before you jump down our throats. 

I'm not jumping down your throats. Just don't understand why you keep saying wont have enough volume. I'm only providing one desert per person after the meal. Should I get lots more just in case. Some snacks in the evening. Catering 1.5 relates to the food overall not evry individual item otherwise you end up with food for over 200 people for 150!

Ok you are misunderstanding a lot of this. The 1.5 rule is standard for buffets. People like to try everything and then go back for their favourites.  If it is plated and served to each person, you can do 1 per person. Caterers will build this into the amount of food overall. 

Look, do what you want, we've given you great suggestions that we all think will work better than your plans. 

Lead a horse to water, and all...

I agree about the buffet, but I'm talking about cocktail hour food not the main meal. Maybe I should go back to the forum at youandyourwedding.co.uk.....although I'm the only one there not doing evening guests.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

Also definitely doing cheaper cocktail hour food to afford better quality main meal food, good deinks and nice decor. So I see no need to splurge in that area. That's not against etiquette. Etiquette doesn't require maximum money spent in every part of the wedding. Cheaper cocktail hour food doesn't affect guest comfort.

Are you having a cash bar?  I'm a little confused.  In a PP, you said,

"That is what I am going for! Still trying to convince FI to have the

reception in

school gym because it allows us to have no cash bar

(since we can supply all the alcohol/drinks ourselves for free), tons of

free parking (free parking is difficult to get where we live), lots of

space, kitchen facilities and I've seen some amazing wedding decorators

who can make it look beautiful. A lot of venues require cash bars and

are very restrictive in what we can do."

Did I miss the part where you did change venues?
  • edited May 2017

MobKaz said:

Also definitely doing cheaper cocktail hour food to afford better quality main meal food, good deinks and nice decor. So I see no need to splurge in that area. That's not against etiquette. Etiquette doesn't require maximum money spent in every part of the wedding. Cheaper cocktail hour food doesn't affect guest comfort.

reception in

I want to get a venue near where my extended family live and a lot of wedding venues charge either a lot for corkage or have very high bar prices making it more costly for us to cover the costs. I am in the UK and if you use a school hall as a venue you can bring in alcohol  free of charge. I was adamant that I would not have a cash bar. I'm confused as to why you think I changed venues?  

• I really think people are just trying to be helpful here. If you don't like their ideas just don't use them. 

In light of what people have said I will rethink my plans with the caterers to decide on a cost effective option. 
  • I believe @lyndausvi has responded earlier, but her husband is a chef and she knows more than most about portioning for events like these. That 1.5 per person number came from her. You won't likely have leftovers with that because there will be people take more than 1 of each item.

• MobKazMobKaz member

MobKaz said:

reception in

I want to get a venue near where my extended family live and a lot of wedding venues charge either a lot for corkage or have very high bar prices making it more costly for us to cover the costs. I am in the UK and if you use a school hall as a venue you can bring in alcohol  free of charge. I was adamant that I would not have a cash bar. I'm confused as to why you think I changed venues?  

Because mixed up in all this etiquette, offering a cash bar would be the height of poor hosting.  Since you appear to want to follow etiquette, a cash bar would be quite contradictory.  Your comment says you have not yet changed venues to avoid having a cash bar, and that you are still trying to convince FI to make the switch. 

Perhaps I am missing something here.  Cash bar to me indicates that guests will pay for their own drinks.  Does it mean something else to you?  Are you implying that cash bar to YOU means you don't want to pay corkage fees or control your own beverage costs?
  • edited May 2017

MobKaz said:m

MobKaz said:

reception in

Because mixed up in all this etiquette, offering a cash bar would be the height of poor hosting.  Since you appear to want to follow etiquette, a cash bar would be quite contradictory.  Your comment says you have not yet changed venues to avoid having a cash bar, and that you are still trying to convince FI to make the switch. 

Perhaps I am missing something here.  Cash bar to me indicates that guests will pay for their own drinks.  Does it mean something else to you?  Are you implying that cash bar to YOU means you don't want to pay corkage fees or control your own beverage costs?

I think you are a bit confused or I'm not being clear. We are still trying to pick a venue (still in initial planning stages) and I want to do the reception in a school hall because it allows me not to do a cash bar. I can buy all the drinks wholesale and give them to the guests. My FI wants a more upscale venue but they often want you to have a cash bar or pay a very large bar tab. Bringing in my own drinks is cheaper.
  • edited May 2017

lyndausvi said:

geebee908 said:

I believe @lyndausvi has responded earlier, but her husband is a chef and she knows more than most about portioning for events like these. That 1.5 per person number came from her. You won't likely have leftovers with that because there will be people take more than 1 of each item.

For cocktail hour you should have 3-5 pieces of food per person.   This can be spread over many items.    

There are certain items that are so popular that you need to have even more than 1.5 piece per person.  Cocktail shrimp comes to mind.  People will eat 2+ pieces of just those alone PLUS other items.  

Veggies and fruit are generally not as popular.   You can get away with less than 1 per person, assuming you are serving other items.    

At the end of cocktail hour we toss more veggie and fruit trays than any other item.  I guess they are too healthy for people :tongue:    That is why I personally  think it's okay to go under on these items.   Again assuming there our other options.    The average guests isn't into drinking and eating fruit during cocktail hour.  At least not in my own experience.   

That was very helpful so thank you. Fruit is a very cost effective item so we going to have some I think. You also confirmed what I though. That people need 3-5 peices across each item not an endless supply of all the items that are available.

I've noticed a lot of people within my culture (caribbean, indian and African) doing fruit displays at weddings. There are lots on instagram so at least in our community I think fruit is quite popular. 
  • redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

MobKaz said:

MobKaz said:

reception in

I think it's the phrasing of "allows me not to do a cash bar" [emphasis mine]. She is adamant that she doesn't want a cash bar and the school gym seems to be the only option that allows her to not have one. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    @redoryx, I understand that.  Perhaps I am being utterly obtuse on this point, and I'm not exactly sure why I even feel a need for clarification.  But in a prior post, it sounded as if the venue had been chosen.......

@Kimora_Blax said......"I've decided to cut our guest list massively to save costs to 150
    people. The costs seemed to be spirally out of control when you add up
    things like the wedding stage, decor, ceremony, banns etc."

Considering this post is about menu specifics, and guest lists had been adjusted, it seemed as if venue was also locked.  OP talks as if venue is still an undecided factor as well now.  Much of this seems just a tad backwards to me.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    I will never forget a party I went to where I didn't immediately jump in the buffet line to get some apps during a cocktail hour.  Within 30 minutes, all of the chicken skewers, shrimp, and other hot apps were gone and I was literally left with some grapes and cheese cubes.  I was so irritated.  

• I never said I was going to serve one app per person. That would be silly. 
  • You said you had some popcorn, nuts, crisps and fruit.  However, if you are going to make something the centrepiece with an all singing/ all dancing lightup stand like you are these fruit cups, I would definitely try to have more than one. 

It's not an endless supply like you keep saying, but its recognising you are drawing attention to one spotlight snack, so people are most likely going to take more than one. Especially because everything else is very salty. 

• You said you had some popcorn, nuts, crisps and fruit.  However, if you are going to make something the centrepiece with an all singing/ all dancing lightup stand like you are these fruit cups, I would definitely try to have more than one. 

It's not an endless supply like you keep saying, but its recognising you are drawing attention to one spotlight snack, so people are most likely going to take more than one. Especially because everything else is very salty. 

The other snacks aren't especially salty. The all come in a variety of flavour and I was planning on having a few extra similar snacks. If I do the fruit stand I will tell the vendor the number of guests and she wilk provide accordingly. A vendor provides the fruit thing. She said she also provides strawberries in mini ice cream cones. They sound really weird but were quite tasty. That is also provided with the fruits and specialty cocktails.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    By way of comparison, we are having 3 different apps passed during cocktail hour.  Soft pretzels, toasted ravioli (a specialty in my part of the country) and meatballs.  We are expecting 90-100 people and are ordering 10 dozen of each with the option to order more if we run out.  Our total bill for that is $500.  

• If you do end up using the school gym, you could possible use the refrigerator in the kitchen to store the pre-made fruit trays. This is just me, but if my options are popcorn, nuts, crisps, and fruit and there's nothing to dip the crisps in, I'm eating fruit. 

• Ro041 said:

By way of comparison, we are having 3 different apps passed during cocktail hour.  Soft pretzels, toasted ravioli (a specialty in my part of the country) and meatballs.  We are expecting 90-100 people and are ordering 10 dozen of each with the option to order more if we run out.  Our total bill for that is $500.  

10 dozen of each is 120 each of 3 different items: 360 items / 100 guests = 3.6 pieces of food per guest. That's pretty standard. Some guests will eat 5 some will eat 1. And if they're passed apps, it's easy for the caterers to stagger them throughout the cocktail hour, so they're not all eaten in the first 10 minutes. 

• Ro041 said:

How big are the soft pretzels? Can I come to your wedding? I promise I'll just eat pretzels and the other guests can have the toasted ravs - although I live in a place where they are popular, I am not native to this area, and I don't get the appeal.
  • edited May 2017

If you do end up using the school gym, you could possible use the refrigerator in the kitchen to store the pre-made fruit trays. This is just me, but if my options are popcorn, nuts, crisps, and fruit and there's nothing to dip the crisps in, I'm eating fruit. 

People don't normally dip crisps in anything in the UK unless they are tortillas or something like that . There would be toppings for the fruit like jam, cream, honey and yoghurt if we go down that route.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    @flantastic  - they are jumbo soft pretzel sticks with pilsner cheese sauce and spicy maple mustard.  I am the same as you and would house a million pretzels any bypass the toasted rav.  Neither of us are native to the area either so I am not as sold on them as others are.  

And yes - send me a PM with your address and I will send you in an invitation.  I need someone who is going to eat as many soft pretzels as possible.   :D